World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2020/2021 WHC Livestream

Page  Page 37 of 45:  « Previous  1  ...  36  37  38  ...  44  45  Next »

Author Pavel
Partaker
#541 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 08:41 | Edited by: Pavel 
nfmungard:
>> Jože Plečnik in Ljubljana – Human Centred Urban Design

What a flowery title.

In this sense, I expect Inhuman Centered or Human Avoiding Urban Designs in next nominations...

Author Colvin
Partaker
#542 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 08:51 
Petroglyphs of Lake Onega and the White Sea inscribed.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#543 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 08:52 
Colvin:
Saudi Arabia, which just had rock art inscribed (with Russia's backing), is in favor of inscribing the petroglyphs immediately, rather than referring the nomination back to Russia.

I think these obvious conflict of interest need to be resolved. Submitters cannot be part of the committee.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#544 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 08:55 
Next up: Ivindo National Park

Author Colvin
Partaker
#545 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:00 
IUCN had assessed there was strong potential for OUV under criteria ix and x, but they recommended Ivindo be referred back to Gabon to resolve management issues.

Author Khuft
Partaker
#546 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:01 | Edited by: Khuft 
nfmungard:
I think these obvious conflict of interest need to be resolved. Submitters cannot be part of the committee.

I don't think that will solve anything. Submitters are already not allowed to participate in the decisions concerning their own sites.
Not sitting on the committee would have no additional impact - they would anyway lobby friendly committee members to act on their behalf (see France and Italy this year!)

Author Colvin
Partaker
#547 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:03 
Uganda believes IUCN may be inconsistent and too hard on Gabon, and believes that any issues are minor and can be resolved after inscription.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#548 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:08 
I need to depart soon, though I have no doubt Ivindo will be inscribed.

If anyone is able to provide updates on the rest of today, I look forward to hearing what remaining decisions are made (and whether there are any European countries left which have somehow missed their opportunity to inscribe beech forests on the World Heritage Site list).

Author elsslots
Admin
#549 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:09 
Colvin:
nd whether there are any European countries left which have somehow missed their opportunity to inscribe beech forests on the World Heritage Site list).

We are still looking for them in NL! Maybe we need to plant one in one of the polders

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#550 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:17 
Khuft:
I don't think that will solve anything. Submitters are already not allowed to participate in the decisions concerning their own sites.
Not sitting on the committee would have no additional impact - they would anyway lobby friendly committee members to act on their behalf (see France and Italy this year!)

I think the quid pro quo right now is immediate. You are nice to my submission (where I cant vote), I am nice to yours (where you cant vote). If you were banned from the WHC altogether, e.g. for 2 years, the opportunities for quid pro quos would be gone. And then lobby as much as you want, but without promising your own vote as a benefit. I wouldn't consider any voting mechanism that is set up this way to be good governance.

Colvin:
Uganda believes IUCN may be inconsistent and too hard on Gabon, and believes that any issues are minor and can be resolved after inscription.

Feels like my first flat I rented. Yeah, we sure are going to fix this, this and this. If you submit you put in the work. Or it goes directly to in danger as protective mesure.

elsslots:
We are still looking for them in NL! Maybe we need to plant one in one of the polders

Happy to provide a seedling.

Author clyde
Partaker
#551 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:20 
Maybe poor Merksplas could be a good candidate as there are quite a lot of trees :)

Author elsslots
Admin
#552 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:24 
Belgium has a beech forest already inscribed

Author Khuft
Partaker
#553 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:27 
elsslots:
Belgium has a beech forest already inscribed

NL should really just plant one and ask for the name of the property to be changed to "Ancient and Recent Beech forests of Europe"

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#554 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:29 
Thanks for the hard work Colvin.

Sadly I have meetings all afternoon as well.

Author elsslots
Admin
#555 | Posted: 28 Jul 2021 09:32 
We're almost done anyway.

Page  Page 37 of 45:  « Previous  1  ...  36  37  38  ...  44  45  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2020/2021 WHC Livestream
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑