I stumbled across the "Upstream process
" document within this year's whole pack, which shows in the annex which support was requested in terms of either preparing Tentative Lists or Nominations. This could be a good indication for future nominations!
Some "pilot projects" that seem to have been ongoing are:
- Ancient Kano City Walls and Associated Sites, Nigeria
- Batanes Protected Landscapes and Seascapes, Philippines
- Coral Stone Mosques of the Maldives, Maldives
- Grenadines Islands Group, Grenada, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines
Of these, all except Coral Stone Mosques are going to be phased out, as the State Party has not been making progress on them. This could mean that we'll be waiting some more for them to emerge as nominations.
The appendix also lists the new requests received. In addition to a bunch of requests for help with Tentative Lists, the following are highlighted as requests for help to work on nominations:
- Madagascar: Eglise catholique d'Ambodifotatra de Sainte Marie (on TL since 2018), La haute ville d'Antananarivo (on TL since 2016) and Nosy Naka (on TL since 2018)
- Zimbabwe: Naletale Cluster of Dzimbabwes (on TL since 2018)
- Serbia:Archeological site Belo brdo in Vinča (not on TL) --- actually an interesting one! The Vinča culture is a key Neolithic culture in Europe
- Belarus: Kalozha Church of Sts. Boris and Gleb in Grodno (on TL since 2004)
- Russia: Astronomical observatories of Kazan University (on TL since 2020)
- Brazil: Brazilian Fortresses Ensemble (on TL since 2015)
- Germany & USA: Moravian Church Settlements [as an extension to Christiansfeld, a Moravian Church Settlement (Denmark)] (on the TL of the USA since 2017, not on the TL of Germany) ---- actually quite shocking that Germany and the US are requesting help from ICOMOS, given how strained the resources of the advisory bodies are!
- Panama: The Royal Roads of Panamá: Camino de Cruces and Camino Real (on TL since 2017)
- Belgium:Public zoological gardens in the 19th century - a new typology in a rapidly changing world (not on TL) ----- smells like a new European serial site...
- Japan: Asuka-Fujiwara: Archaeological sites of Japan's Ancient Capital and Related Properties (on TL since 2007)
- China: Beijing Central Axis (on TL since 2013)
- Finland: The Ringed Seal Archipelagos of Lake Saimaa (on TL since 2021)
I also checked the previous convention in 2019 and the doc on Upstream Process there. Here are some additional requests for nominations filed at that time:
- Armenia: nominations of Zorats Karer, Metsamor, The Areni Cave, Ughtasar Petropglyphs andYerevan Brandy Company "Ararat"
- Mali: Sites historiques et Paysages Culturels du Manden (on TL since 2018)
- Nepal: Tilaurakot, ancient Kapilavastu (on TL since 1996)
- Bosnia & Herzegovina: Vjetrenica Cave (on TL since 2004)
- Thailand: Songkhla Old Town: Multicultural Settlements on Indo-Pacific Landbridge (not on the TL)
- Germany: The Heritage of Transporter Bridges (not on TL)
- USA: Civil Rights Movement Sites (on TL since 2008)
- Austria: Otto Wagner Hospital Steinhof Vienna (not on TL)
- Brazil: National Park of Lençois Maranhenses (on TL since 2017)
- Mexico: Franciscan Ensemble of the Monastery and Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption, Tlaxcala (as an extension and renomination of the Earliest 16th-Century Monasteries on the Slopes of Popocatepetl) (on TL since 2018)
(as well as some already mentioned above)