World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

Combined WHC Sessions [2020-2021]

Page  Page 3 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next »

Author elsslots
Admin
#31 | Posted: 4 Jun 2021 11:23 

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#32 | Posted: 4 Jun 2021 11:25 
elsslots:
https://www.ilrestodelcarlino.it/bologna/cronaca/portici-bologna-unesco-1.6408708

Google Translate says "Postponed" - is it a Referral or Deferral? I think the latter. Maybe the Italian speakers here can tell for sure?

Of course I am coming late (reemergence from lethargy is ongoing), but yes, as it turned out rinvio translates to postponement or deferment (lit. "sent again"), but as it is not a technical term it wasn't clear if it would be referral or deferral (which, like Ian, I am still a little confused about). However, it appears that at the time they wrote the article they were rather expecting a simple referral, and anyway they hadn't yet received the full documentation by ICOMOS. So they speak just of "integrating the folder" and "expanding the subject" and look quite determined to pursue this nomination. Care and cleanliness of the portici and piazze are key issues that have been at the center of the city's public debate since quite a long time, and this nomination might be seen as a good opportunity.

And personally I am quite convinced that they won't let it go so easily, even if this means waiting one or two years more... I don't know how solid the 2022 nomination for Bagnoregio is (it surely has its appeal and unique flavour), but since Bologna, as it were, is a "big and famous (an arts town) city missing" from the list (a kind of empty space between Modena, Ferrara, Ravenna and Firenze), and is already in an advanced stage, I would not be surprised to see it reappear soon.

About Padova: is the name finally going to be changed? I like Urbs picta a lot, it is very on point, even if it is actually not the only city bearing this epithet (it shares it with nearby Verona, for example).

Author elsslots
Admin
#33 | Posted: 4 Jun 2021 11:31 
Astraftis:
About Padova: is the name finally going to be changed? I like Urbs picta a lot, it is very on point, even if it is actually not the only city bearing this epithet (it shares it with nearby Verona, for example).

ICOMOS further recommends that the State Party give
consideration to changing the name of the property to
become: "Padua's fourteenth-century fresco cycles".

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#34 | Posted: 4 Jun 2021 11:31 | Edited by: Astraftis 
elsslots:
- Mrauk-U (Myanmar) Emergency nomination? no evaluation present?

This is one site I cannot understand why it is not already on the list. I hope for the best. (Of course I understand political and social problems which stand in the way very well, but I mean that it is of absolute value nonetheless - the same for Pagan, where reason has prevailed.)

elsslots:
- Colonies of Benevolence: agricultural pauper colonies (Belgium, Netherlands) YES

Very curious about this one after Els's review!

elsslots:
- Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt (Germany) Refer
- Deer Stone Monuments and Related Sites, the Heart of Bronze Age Culture (Mongolia) Refer

Disappointed :-(

elsslots:
- Fortress of Spinalonga (Greece) NO

Agree.

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#35 | Posted: 4 Jun 2021 11:34 
elsslots
elsslots:
Astraftis:

ICOMOS further recommends that the State Party give
consideration to changing the name of the property to
become: "Padua's fourteenth-century fresco cycles".

I am wondering about the exact reason for this change.

Author elsslots
Admin
#36 | Posted: 4 Jun 2021 11:35 | Edited by: elsslots 
Astraftis:

It is withdrawn according to http://whc.unesco.org/archive/2021/whc21-44com-inf8B3-en.pdf

P.S. There are also incomplete dossiers in there, Djerba for example. These were meant for 2021.

Author elsslots
Admin
#37 | Posted: 4 Jun 2021 12:10 
I see no new In Danger sites, though the Monarch Butterfly Reserve and Canaima NP will be dealt with in an addendum that is not available yet (and are good candidates).

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 4 Jun 2021 16:19 | Edited by: jonathanfr 
elsslots:
- Chankillo Solar Observatory and Ceremonial Center (Peru) Later, in addendum

- Chankillo Solar Observatory and Ceremonial Center (Peru) YES

This one was forgotten:
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire – The Danube Limes (Western Segment) (Austria / Germany / Hungary / Slovakia) YES

Author Astraftis
Partaker
#39 | Posted: 4 Jun 2021 16:49 
elsslots:
Astraftis:

It is withdrawn according to http://whc.unesco.org/archive/2021/whc21-44com-inf8B3-en.pdf

P.S. There are also incomplete dossiers in there, Djerba for example. These were meant for 2021.

Oh, OK, I lost the detail. But I think it will just be a matter of time.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 4 Jun 2021 17:10 
In this document
https://whc.unesco.org/archive/2018/whc18-42com-8B-en.pdf
(page 27)
the draft decision was to change the name of "Roșia Montană Mining Landscape" to "Roman Gold Mines of Roșia Montană".
This doesn't appear to have been repeated by ICOMOS this year.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#41 | Posted: 4 Jun 2021 21:41 
Astraftis:
elsslots:
- Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt (Germany) Refer
- Deer Stone Monuments and Related Sites, the Heart of Bronze Age Culture (Mongolia) Refer

Disappointed :-(

Don't be, Refer is easily turned into Inscribe in the session.

Author carlosarion
Partaker
#42 | Posted: 5 Jun 2021 01:28 
Looks like everyone's going to be busy reading the IUCN and ICOMOS assessments this weekend!

Author Durian
Partaker
#43 | Posted: 5 Jun 2021 02:24 | Edited by: Durian 
Great! this year WHS for me will be special as 4 of 7 new sites I got, I really don't have idea that I actually visited them.

- A strange pit in front of Vienna's Hofburg that become the Danube Lime
- A nice cuppa break at Utrech's Dom Square turn out to be the Lower German Lime
- Double WHS from Bath
- Stayed in Best Western Mainz and unknowingly enjoyed the green park view from the room that a part of ShUM sites!

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#44 | Posted: 5 Jun 2021 03:27 | Edited by: winterkjm 
To Summarize . . .

Recommendation for Inscription (18)

Asia and the Pacific (4)
- Quanzhou: Emporium of the World in Song-Yuan (China)
- Cultural Landscape of Hawraman/Uramanat (Iran)
- Amami-Oshima Island, Tokunoshima Island, Northern part of Okinawa Island, and Iriomote Island (Japan)
- Jomon Prehistoric Sites in Northern (Japan)

Europe (11)
- The Great Spas of Europe (Austria / Belgium / Czechia / France / Germany / Italy / United Kingdom)
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire – The Danube Limes [Western Segment] (Austria / Germany / Hungary / Slovakia)
- Colonies of Benevolence (Belgium / Netherlands)
- Cordouan Lighthouse (France)
- Colchic Rainforests and Wetlands (Georgia)
- ShUM Sites of Speyer, Worms and Mainz (Germany)
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire – The Lower German Limes (Germany)
- 'Padova Urbs picta', Giotto's Scrovegni Chapel and Padua's fourteenth-century fresco cycles (Italy)
- Roșia Montană Mining Landscape (Romania)
- The works of Jože Plečnik in Ljubljana – Human Centred Urban Design (Slovenia)
- The Slate Landscape of Northwest Wales (United Kingdom)

Latin America and the Caribbean (3)
- Sítio Roberto Burle Marx (Brazil)
- Chankillo Solar Observatory and ceremonial center (Peru)
- The work of engineer Eladio Dieste: Church of Atlántida (Uruguay)

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Recommended for Referral (8)
- Nice, capital of Riviera tourism (France)
- Ivindo National Park (Gabon)
- Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt (Germany)
- Deer Stone Monuments and Related Sites, the Heart of Bronze Age Culture (Mongolia)
- Dutch Water Defence Lines [Extension] (Netherlands)
- Petroglyphs of Lake Onega and the White Sea (Russia)
- Cultural Rock Arts in Ḥimā Najrān (Saudi Arabia)
- Arslantepe Mound (Turkey)

Recommended for Deferral (6)
- The Glorious Kakatiya Temples and Gateways (India)
- Trans-Iranian Railway (Iran)
- The Porticoes of Bologna (Italy)
- Getbol, Korean Tidal Flat (Republic of Korea)
- Paseo del Prado and Buen Retiro, a landscape of Arts and Sciences (Spain)
- Sudanese style mosques in northern Côte d'Ivoire (Sudan)

Waiting for Addendum (9)
- Ancient and Primeval Beech Forests of the Carpathians and Other Regions of Europe [Extension] (Bosnia and Herzegovina / Czechia / France / Italy / Montenegro / North Macedonia / Poland / Serbia / Slovakia / Switzerland)
- Settlement and Artificial Mummification of the Chinchorro Culture in the Arica and Parinacota Region (Chile)
- Dholavira: A Harappan City (India)
- As-Salt - The Place of Tolerance and Urban Hospitality (Jordan)
- Grobiņa archaeological ensemble (Latvia)
- Franciscan Ensemble of the Monastery and Cathedral of Our Lady of the Assumption of Tlaxcala [Extension] (Mexico)
- Gdańsk Shipyard – the birthplace of "Solidarity" and the symbol of the Fall of the Iron Curtain in Europe (Poland)
- Kaeng Krachan Forest Complex (Thailand)

Recommended for Not Inscribe (6)
- Historical and Archaeological Site of La Isabela (Dominican Republic)
- The Coptic Monasteries of Wadi al-Natrun (Egypt) *Withdrawn
- Holqa Sof Umar: Natural and Cultural Heritage (Ethiopia)
- Fortress of Spinalonga (Greece)
- Classical Karst (Slovenia)
- Ribeira Sacra (Spain)

No Evaluation - Postponed [moved to 2022]
- Lake Chad cultural landscape (Cameroon / Chad / Niger / Nigeria)
- Badain Jaran Desert - Towers of Sand and Lakes (China)

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#45 | Posted: 5 Jun 2021 03:36 | Edited by: winterkjm 
These 3 take the prize for our "Epic Subtitles" Connection if inscribed.

"Emporium of the World" Quanzhou

"The Place of Tolerance and Urban Hospitality" As-Salt

"Birthplace of "Solidarity" and the symbol of the Fall of the Iron Curtain" Gdańsk Shipyard

Page  Page 3 of 7:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 Combined WHC Sessions [2020-2021]

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑