World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2019 WHC Livestream

Page  Page 20 of 20:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  18  19  20

Author elsslots
Admin
#286 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 09:23 
We had 28 new ones in total?

Author elsslots
Admin
#287 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 09:24 
29 ?

Author Colvin
Partaker
#288 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 09:50 | Edited by: Colvin 
I think it is 29 plus an extension, if I count correctly. Jodrell Bank Observatory is missing from the new sites listed on the front page.

Author carlosarion
Partaker
#289 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 10:20 | Edited by: carlosarion 
Colvin:
I think it is 29 plus an extension, if I count correctly.

Yes this is correct. 29 plus extension. The UNESCO website counts the extension separately, hence 30 inscriptions in their website: https://whc.unesco.org/en/newproperties/

24 cultural, 4 natural, 1 mixed and 1 significant change in boundary

Author ajoszucs
Partaker
#290 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 12:00 
ajoszucs

Finally we know what does the government want to build. In the Official Gazette a decree was published that allocates funds to the creation of a Kayak-Canoe Academy lead by a former olympian on the site. There is no information/expőlanation why exactly there and whether the ruins will be preserved anyhow. Frankly saying this decision fits into the current line of the PM - sports events and developments are highly. prioritized. Though the Olympic big of Budapest failed - an initiative for a referendum on the bid gathered 266 000 signatures, and the government did not want to contest, rather dropped it -any sport-related development gets high priority. The government on one hand wants to punish the capitals population for not backing the "Olympic dream" of the PM, on the other hand wants to show strength by building all sports facilities (not the infrastructural ones) Olympic games would require. (The main argument of the organizers of the referendum was, that these mega investments are a waste of money, and the money definitely enriches only the aids/family of the PM.) I talked to some friends still working in heritage management (most of the employees were just fired a year ago), and all are desperate. The Governor's Palace could have been the crown jewel of this nomination. All other Hungarian elements are either minor ones or reconstructions. If reconstructed - like Carnuntum or Xanten - the palace could have been a really superb site.

Author GaryArndt
Partaker
#291 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 12:19 
Where will the 2020 meeting be held?

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#292 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 13:06 
Thanks everyone for making the inscriptions so enjoyable again this year.

And thanks ajoszucs for the somewhat depressing run down. I'm guessing there are reasons why the Olympic Canoe academy had to be built on/near a significant Roman ruin instead of in Felcsút?

Author Colvin
Partaker
#293 | Posted: 8 Jul 2019 04:39 
ajoszucs:
Finally we know what does the government want to build.

Well that has to be incredibly frustrating. I wonder whether there will be any repercussions on political levels with Hungary and Germany, Austria, or Slovakia, or whether the repercussions stay on the World Heritage Site level.

In general, this puts a pall on transnational nominations, particularly those with more than two state parties. As someone who already would love to see more cooperation to combine existing thematic sites (Iguazu Falls; Jesuit Missions; Routes of Santiago de Compostela), I don't view this as a good thing for state parties deciding to submit future nominations. That said, maybe the upcoming limits will force state parties to think transnationally even if they are reluctant.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#294 | Posted: 8 Jul 2019 04:42 
GaryArndt:

We will find out by the end of the session. Maybe some country has a pet tentative site they'd love to push through despite ICOMOS objections...

Author AJRC
Partaker
#295 | Posted: 9 Jul 2019 03:52 
GaryArndt:

Confirmed for China.

Author davidyao
Partaker
#296 | Posted: 9 Jul 2019 04:58 
GaryArndt
Fuzhou, Capital of Fujian Province, China

Author carlosarion
Partaker
#297 | Posted: 10 Jul 2019 02:45 
Hi guys, would anyone know when they would usually release/upload the nomination files for each of the successful inscription? Is it usually a week after the session?

Thanks!

Author Messy
Partaker
#298 | Posted: 10 Jul 2019 08:54 
carlosarion
I left a link to the Wright submission (full color and everything) on the 2019 WHC forum.

Author carlosarion
Partaker
#299 | Posted: 10 Jul 2019 09:50 
Messy:
I left a link to the Wright submission (full color and everything) on the 2019 WHC forum

Thank you Messy! Can't wait for the others as I plan my trips in the next few months.

Author elsslots
Admin
#300 | Posted: 10 Jul 2019 10:50 
I will lock this 'Livestream' forum now, further discussions about the 2019 WHC can be done at 2019 WHC

Page  Page 20 of 20:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  18  19  20 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2019 WHC Livestream
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑