World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2019 WHC Livestream

Page  Page 19 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  17  18  19  20  Next »

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#271 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:19 
Messy:
When did this happen?

About 15 minutes ago

Author Messy
Partaker
#272 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:22 
So was there any debate? I turned it on about 20 minutes ago and didn't here a thing.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#273 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:22 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Messy:
You guys have given a detailed commentary on everything but that. Not a single mention. Again, when was it?

Sorry - it was passed without any discussion really - ICOMOS made its presentation and there were no proposals for any changes to the draft decision. So - nothing really to comment about!!! Are you aware that the live casts are made available on the UNESCO Web site for viewing later (even years later) - I think that this afternoon will be available tomorrow

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#274 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:22 
Messy:
Port Royal....the Atlantis of the caribbean.

and a place associated with piracy in the Caribbean

Author Colvin
Partaker
#275 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:22 | Edited by: Colvin 
Sorry about that, Messy. My internet connection went down for about twenty minutes just as Italy's Prosecco Hills were inscribed. I just rewatched the footage after the connection came back, and can summarize a bit, if you'd like.

ICOMOS gave their presentation, explaining how the US reworked the proposal after the referral, and stated their recommendation to inscribe.

Next came all of the congratulations from countries, most commenting on how it is good to have such an eminent 20th century architect added to the list. Azerbaijan's representative is an architect, and had a particular appreciation for Wright's work. Kuwait suggested that with Wright inscribed, perhaps someone should start thinking about Gehry next.

No objections, and The 20th-Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright was inscribed.

Finally, the US representatives spoke; nothing fancy, but the woman who works for Fallingwater invited everyone to come visit; it's the best way to appreciate his architecture.

Author Messy
Partaker
#276 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:24 | Edited by: Messy 
that would be nice as an American it was the main thing i was waiting for. Was there any unnecessary blathering by the state party and hats?

Author carlosarion
Partaker
#277 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:25 | Edited by: carlosarion 
Majority, if not all, recognize that Port Royal is an outstanding example of the underrepresented underwater heritage sites. Spain calls the nomination a "handsome candidacy".

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#278 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:25 | Edited by: Solivagant 
The worry about Port Royal and its "deferral" is that, despite future help from ICOMOS and other actors, ICOMOS will give it an excessively "hard time" - and Jamaica doesn't have a lot of clout on the WHC. It SHOULD be inscribed with a better Nomination. Look forward to a more positive evaluation next time - even with a REferral which will be easy to overturn!!!!! Interesting that China was signalling that it will support it

Author carlosarion
Partaker
#279 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:32 
ICOMOS now presenting Colonial Transisthmian Route of Panama

Author Colvin
Partaker
#280 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:37 
Messy:
Was there any unnecessary blathering by the state party and hats?

No unnecessary blathering, and no hats. Between Stetsons, ballcaps, and the ridiculous Uncle Sam hats, I'm not sure there would be any good choices for this occasion. I suppose they could have played some Simon and Garfunkel, though...

I updated my post above with a brief summary.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#281 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:46 
Re Transisthmian Route - Panama accepts the Deferral but complains that not all states are equal in being able to carry out the recommendations of the ABs - this is something which UNESCO and the WHC need to take into account

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#282 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:46 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Back to KKFC!
Rapporteur to present the new draft decision
and goes for a....................................... REferral!!!
Doesn't the WHC EVER learn!!!
So - again we have a situation where it isn't absolutely clear WHAT the SP has to have done by the time of the next discussion at the WHC, nor what it HAS to do in order to satisfy IUCN,
The Chair tries to prevent any further discussion
And it is passed.
So that is all of this year's Nominations finished

Author Colvin
Partaker
#283 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:54 
Thanks for the update, Solivagant! My feed had dropped again.

Author elsslots
Admin
#284 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:55 
Hmmm. Missed all the fun today. To make matters worse, threw a mug of milk over my laptop this morning. Some keys do not work anymore. Trying to having it all updated on the website this afternoon on my work laptop.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#285 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 09:02 
Sorry to hear that, Els. I think Sheki was the most robust discussion of the day (even though I missed most of it due to dozing off), if you do go back to watch any of today's session.

Page  Page 19 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  17  18  19  20  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2019 WHC Livestream
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑