World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2019 WHC Livestream

Page  Page 18 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  17  18  19  20  Next »

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#256 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 06:24 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Solivagant:
"Kuwait doesn't want to be part of a Committee which has lost its integrity - which is why it is submitting an amendment for INSCRIPTION"

LOL. Are these people self-reflective at all? Precisely this behavior is denigrating the integrity of the process. Maybe they should redesign the process if they are so unhappy about it's outcome. But constantly overriding the AB simply means the AB is irrelevant.

Solivagant:
Spain - ok we are asked to be quick - BUT we (Spain) have been asked to withdraw nominations in the past - but we did so . Now we are faced with a request to inscribe a non inscribe recommendation. Everyone should play on a level playing field!!!

Truth be told, European countries should be held to a higher standard as they are already dotted with sites.

Solivagant:
Tanzania - congratulates the SP for all their efforts and patience across the years on this nomination ...............etc etc!!! "Whatever was done by design or by default was done in good faith"....... "What harm would be done to the WH list or to the site or to the international community if a site finds its way onto the list either by default, error etc". Interesting point - would it really contribute to the degradation of the List. Is Sheki really any worse than many other sites which have scraped their way through??

I would concur if the statement was limited to countries with zero to no WHS. However, Portugal has plenty and Mafra is simply lacking in OUV. As is Augsburg to me.

AJRC:
Any of the sites with a proposal distinct than "Inscribe" have kept the draft recommendation during this session?
My impression is it doesn't matter if AB recommends defer, refer or not inscribe, because finally all are inscribed. I understand the complains of some SP for this.

Right about so. Simply ignore the AB feedback and go for the WHC. They certainly will pass everything.

Hopefully, the changes done (new whs per country) will help somewhat. But I am really questioning where the WHS train is going. Eventually it will be a pointless honor.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#257 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 06:28 
Some proper improvement ideas:

* Make the AB more meaningful and scale that based on the amount of inscribed sites.
** First site: Override from not inscribe possible.
** 2-9: Defer to inscribe.
** 10-30: Refer to inscribe
** 30+: Only inscribe recommendations accepted.

* For all those sites promising major improvements after inscription, set a deadline when the work has to be done or the title will be revoked.

* Provide funding to poor countries to cover for the operating expenses.

Author Durian
Partaker
#258 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 06:30 | Edited by: Durian 
Solivagant

Fyi on KKFC, some insider informed me that currently only OZ is still not agree! Realpolitik of gold mine dispute :(

Author carlosarion
Partaker
#259 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 06:31 
For a casual UNESCO WHS enthusiast who is just learning about the technical aspect of our cultural and natural heritage, seeing how they overturn ICOMOS/IUCN recommendations for the past couple of years is saddening. I would get it if it is just referral, but the reasons behind inscribing sites for deferral and not-inscribe recommendations are something I would want to know more about... hopefully without any political aspect to it.

But then again, I am just a casual observer, and they are the experts.

Author Khuft
Partaker
#260 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 06:45 
Quick note on Pskov: only the churches were actually inscribed. The site is now called Churches of the Pskov school of architecture.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#261 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 07:06 | Edited by: Colvin 
I dozed off during the last couple of hours. Was lunch extended because of the long discussion on Sheki?

And thanks for the excellent summary, Solivagant; I caught the first arguments, but missed the rest.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#262 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 07:21 
nfmungard:
Some proper improvement ideas:

Good morning (or afternoon now), nfmungard! I like your proposal for scaled options based on a country's number of inscribed sites.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#263 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 07:27 
And they're back. Le Colline del Prosecco di Conegliano a Valdobbiadene is up first.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#264 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 07:42 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Excuse me whilst I puke - all this self congratulation about a successful referral!!!! And don't mention the insecticides!

This about-to-be-inscribed nomination is FAR MORE of a disgrace than the inscription of Sheki Palace

Author Messy
Partaker
#265 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:09 | Edited by: Messy 
I take it the FLW sites will be last....damn!

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#266 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:13 
Messy:
I take it the FLW sites will be last....damn!

No - already inscribed and still 3 more to go -
Port Royal
Transisthmian route
KKFC

Author Messy
Partaker
#267 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:13 
Port Royal....the Atlantis of the caribbean.

Author Messy
Partaker
#268 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:13 
Solivagant:
No - already inscribed and still 3 more to go -

When did this happen?

Author Messy
Partaker
#269 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:18 
You guys have given a detailed commentary on everything but that. Not a single mention. Again, when was it?

Author carlosarion
Partaker
#270 | Posted: 7 Jul 2019 08:19 | Edited by: carlosarion 
Port Royal

Jamaica accepts deferral recommendation of ICOMOS, per St Kitt's representative.
Australia recognizes that there are few underwater heritage sites and finds Port Royal a site that has high potential to demonstrate OUV under criterion IV.

Page  Page 18 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  17  18  19  20  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2019 WHC Livestream
This topic is closed. New replies are not allowed.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑