World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2018 WHC Livestream

Page  Page 6 of 31:  « Previous  1  ...  5  6  7  ...  30  31  Next »

Author elsslots
Admin
#76 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:22 
Quanzhou now

Author Colvin
Partaker
#77 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:22 | Edited by: Colvin 
Al-Ahsa was inscribed. Three for three today.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#78 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:23 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Quanzhou - unusual for Chinese nominations to be criticised for such a long list of weaknesses. Normally it is VERY thorough. Is ICOMOS being unnecessarily critical -again why "reject" rather than recommend a reformulation? .........
As Tunisia is proposing. That must be the right way forward.

Author elsslots
Admin
#79 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:26 
Tunisia will go for Referral. Unsuspected ally.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#80 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:30 
It looks like there is support for referral of Quanzhou.

Author clyde
Partaker
#81 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:47 
Thanks for the updates!

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#82 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:50 
My opinion of ICOMOS swings between "Why isn't it listened to properly" and "Why on earth is it so pedantic and unhelpful"!!!
The idea of rejecting this Quanzhou site because the background thematic study for the Maritime Silk Route hasn't been completed seems ridiculous

Author Caspar
Partaker
#83 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:51 
Hi everybody, this is my first forum post and I am interested in your opinion:: to me this years list did not seem a very promising (apart from the star Göbekli Tepe and and a few others like Mumbai and Sansa. Possibly the WWI monuments but they should have a stronger selection in my opinion). And till now every site so far has been inscribed! Thimlich Ohinga Looks interesting enough but Of Qalhar seems to be just one ruined building left and AL-AHSA OASIS is inscribed against quite strong reservations by ICOMOS. one wonders also after last years Tarnowskie Góry if politics will rule the decisions completely and what value the list will have in the future... too pessimistic?

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#84 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 10:58 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Caspar:
Hi everybody, this is my first forum post

Hi Caspar - welcome aboard!!
I think that, as always, "politics" plays a part and there are "weak" nominations which get through for incorrect reasons - but it was always thus -is Qalhat any less valuable than e.g Madara Rider inscribed in 1979 - just a single rock cut statue. Or Tiya - just a few stones. or ...........

Author elsslots
Admin
#85 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 11:02 
Caspar:
And till now every site so far has been inscribed!

Within the whole system, there is a steady stream to inscribe more and more sites. If a country wants its own sites to be inscribed (and they always find that they are worth it), they also have to look favourably upon the nominations of other countries. So the list will grow and grow.

On average, the quality will go down, but there might be some hidden gems among them.
We can start looking for this year's Tarnowskie Góry, but I don't think the 3 inscribed this afternoon are that bad.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#86 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 11:04 
Chinese guy sounded genuinely "Upset" to have been on the wrong end of such a negative evaluation by ICOMOS!!!
I wonder how many other times China has had "rejections"?

Author Colvin
Partaker
#87 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 11:05 | Edited by: Colvin 
So Quanzhou is referred. Also, welcome Caspar!

Author elsslots
Admin
#88 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 11:07 
End of the session for today!

Author Colvin
Partaker
#89 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 11:08 
And that is it for this afternoon, it looks like. Thanks for the updates and input, everyone!

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#90 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 11:09 
Does anyone know what the "Bureau" achieves every morning between 9.30 and 10.00 am??

Page  Page 6 of 31:  « Previous  1  ...  5  6  7  ...  30  31  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2018 WHC Livestream

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑