for World Heritage Travellers

| Begin | Reply | Search |             Start | The List | Community | Blog
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2018 WHC Livestream

Page  Page 4 of 31:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  28  29  30  31  Next »

Author elsslots
Admin
#46 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 08:49 
Yeah. First one to be inscribed: Thimlich Ohinga Archaeological Site. I wonder whether anyone of our community has been there (very remote)

Author Colvin
Partaker
#47 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 08:49 
First site inscribed! :-)

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#48 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 08:50 
elsslots:
This is the last opportunity for a toilet break in hours to come. Grab a cool drink also

Don't worry - there will be hours and hours of "diplomatic" niceties during which everybody gives and receives thanks and congratulations. Only the "problematic" nominations really offer much hope of interesting "unmissable" events.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#49 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 08:51 
Solivagant:
Don't worry - there will be hours and hours of "diplomatic" niceties during which everybody gives and receives thanks and congratulations.

Madam chairperson requests none of those during the meeting but 70% of the comments are still mainly "congratulations and good work". If they would only have important things to stay the entire session might be done in an hour ;)

Author elsslots
Admin
#50 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 08:52 
Qalhat is next. Can be interesting - can they get it inscribed?

Author Colvin
Partaker
#51 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 08:56 
No worries about the congratulations -- the volume should die down as more sites are inscribed. It's like the firstborn kids who get their own photo albums from their parents (but woe to kid #5).

Author elsslots
Admin
#52 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 08:59 
Bahrain has prepared an amendment to help Oman to get it inscribed now.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#53 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 09:12 
Well, it looks like there is much support to inscribe rather than refer, particularly since Oman has already started addressing some of the ICOMOS concerns.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#54 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 09:18 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Colvin:
since Oman has already started addressing some of the ICOMOS concerns.

The ICOMOS points seemed pretty minimal, nit-picking and capable of being easily satisfied - one might have thought that such matters could have been sorted out and agreed before the meeting.

You didn't go Els during your recent visit?? Back in 2005 we stayed overnight in the nearby town of Sur (a mere 20 kms away) but the road out to Qalhat was 4 x 4 only in those days - we tried it in our saloon but had to give up. Lovely new highway now as we have heard from the ICOMOS concerns about it! Will remain a "near miss" for us unfortunately as we won't be going back to Sur just for that!! If we had known that it would get inscribed we might have tried harder!!

Author elsslots
Admin
#55 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 09:23 | Edited by: elsslots 
Solivagant:
You didn't go Els during your recent visit??

I did have a look at it from the highway. A bit dubious, but I will count it. I did not try to enter it because Martina & Ivan had been just a week or so before and were barred from entering. I preferred to use the cool time of the day to go on to the Wadi Al Shab.
Will share pics and a story

P.S. Omani guy speaking seems to confirm that it is closed to visitors at the moment, but it will reopen

Author Colvin
Partaker
#56 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 09:26 
First ICOMOS recommendation overturned!

Author Colvin
Partaker
#57 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 09:30 
Qalhat inscribed. Now on to Al-Ahsa Oasis in Saudi Arabia.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#58 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 09:32 
elsslots:
A bit dubious, but I will count it

I know the feeling!!!!

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#59 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 09:39 | Edited by: Solivagant 
No way this ICOMOS recommendation on Al Ahsa will be accepted. Its arguments about "Continuing Cultural landscapes" are pretty esoteric.
Note the "threat" - if you don't inscribe it we will take oil from it
Also the "You evaluators know nothing about living in this sort of landscape and just don't value it properly" - that cultural mismatch again between developed "West" and other views of the World which has surfaced quite frequently during this WHC.
I will be VERY interested to see where China places its support - will be critical I feel!!!!

Author elsslots
Admin
#60 | Posted: 29 Jun 2018 09:42 
Kuwait pleads to inscribe

Page  Page 4 of 31:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  ...  28  29  30  31  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2018 WHC Livestream

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑