World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2022 WHC

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3

Author elsslots
Admin
#31 | Posted: 8 Sep 2020 00:30 
No year mentioned, but 2022 would be the earliest possible:

India - Kashmir Mughal Gardens
https://kashmirobserver.net/2020/09/07/mughal-gardens-slated-to-be-included-into-unesco-world-heritage-list/

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#32 | Posted: 10 Sep 2020 11:39 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Gaya Tumuli (Korea) - Confirmed and approved by the Cultural Administration of Korea this week.

News Article 1
News Article 2

Flickr Album (Goryeong Jisan-dong Daegaya Tumuli ONLY)

I visited one major component in 2016, even at the time there was much work being done to prepare the nomination (I was presented with a free book about the Gaya Tumuli). Not too long ago this nomination was slotted for 2021, but it failed to meet the requirements set down by the Cultural Heritage Administration in Korea. The archaeological discoveries are significant, the tombs do stand out compared to others Tumuli already inscribed (Dilmun Burial Mounds, Gyeongju). Yet, both Koreas already include major Tomb/Tumuli inscribed components connected to Baekje, Silla, Goguryeo, Goryeo, and Joseon! I suppose at this point, its a reasonable conclusion that this will be the final nomination in Korea where its OUV is associated solely with a burial tradition from a long ago civilization (at least I hope). Indeed, no tomb-related tentative nomination remains on their official list.

Will it be successful? I am sure the nomination dossier will be expansive and persuasive, but ICOMOS will surely have something to say about the comparative analysis if it does not fully make the case for the Gaya Tombs uniqueness compared to the many tomb/tumuli already inscribed in Northeast Asia.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#33 | Posted: 10 Sep 2020 16:39 
Can be Removed from 2022 - These sites with certainty will not be submitted for 2022.

Hikone-Jo (castle) (T): Japan
Seoul City Wall (T): Republic of Korea

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#34 | Posted: 13 Sep 2020 17:29 | Edited by: winterkjm 
WHC 2022 [Cultural or Mixed Nominations]

- The Royal Mausoleums of Numidia, Mauretania and pre-Islamic funerary monuments (Algeria)
- Grossglockner High Alpine Road (Austria)
- Funeral Sites and Memorials of the First World War (Belgium, France)
- Brazilian Fortresses Ensemble (Brazil)
- Tarrafal Concentration Camp (Cabo Verde)
- Koh Ker (Cambodia)
- Žatec – the Hops Town (Czechia)
- Viking Age Ring Fortresses (Denmark)
- Pharaoh Island (Egypt)
- Dirre Sheikh Hussein Religious, Cultural and Historical Site (Ethiopia)
- The Marquesas Islands (France)
- Old Synagogue and Mikveh in Erfurt (Germany)
- Kashmir Mughal Gardens (India)
- Semarang Old Town (Indonesia)
- Trans-Iranian Railway (Iran)
- Sunken City of Port Royal (Jamaica)
- Kaunas 1919-1939: The Capital Inspired by the Modern Movement (Lithuania)
- Myauk-U (Myanmar)
- Tilaurakot, the Archaeological Remains of Ancient Shakya Kingdom (Nepal)
- Port of Banbhore (Pakistan)
- The Colonial Transisthmian Route of Panamá (Panama)
- The Gdańsk Shipyard – the birthplace of "Solidarity" symbol of the fall of Communism in East-Central Europe (Poland)
- Vila Viçosa, Renaissance Ducal Village (Portugal)
- Gaya Tumuli (Republic of Korea)
- Rijal Almaa (Saudi Arabia)
- Olive Grove Landscape of Andalusia (Spain)
- Medieval Town of Khulbuk (Tajikistan)
- Wat Phra Mahathat Woramahawihan, Nakhon Si Thammarat (Thailand)
- The Tombstones of Ahlat the Urartian and Ottoman Citadel (Turkey)
- Island of Djerba (Tunisia) *Likely judged Incomplete for 2021
- Sharjah: the Gate to Trucial States (UAE)
- Historic Center of the Port City of Odessa (Ukraine)

Most of these nominations are very early projections and were carried over from previous reports. Once we are fully updated about the 2020 WHC inscriptions/documents, I am sure 2022 will start becoming a little more predictable.

Author mrayers
Partaker
#35 | Posted: 14 Sep 2020 05:34 | Edited by: mrayers 
winterkjm:
The Gdańsk Shipyard – the birthplace of "Solidarity" symbol of the fall of Communism in East-Central Europe (Poland)

Uhh. So, the historic city center has been dropped/split from this proposal? That's too bad, since I was there in June, and I thought the city in general had enough merit. I didn't have time to see the actual shipyard, so it looks like another near miss may be in my future. :-(

(Or, is this possibly an "early projections" effect?)

Author Zoe
Partaker
#36 | Posted: 14 Sep 2020 10:12 
mrayers:
Uhh. So, the historic city center has been dropped/split from this proposal? That's too bad, since I was there in June, and I thought the city in general had enough merit. I didn't have time to see the actual shipyard, so it looks like another near miss may be in my future. :-(

I believe, as explained to me, the city center idea was rejected (for having too much of a modern center now?) and Poland is trying to find another way to get the city on the list.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#37 | Posted: 14 Sep 2020 20:20 
I would also add Canada's Tr'ondëk-Klondike to the list above.

"This turnaround is explained by the unexpected return of the Tr'ondëk-Klondike site, in the Yukon, in the registration process. Since the mining site was added to the Tentative List of Canada before Anticosti Island and a country can only submit one application per year, the Trudeau government intends to prioritize this file. The goal is to submit a World Heritage nomination for Tr'ondëk-Klondike in February 2021 and for Anticosti Island in February 2022 , Parks Canada said in an email."

https://ici.radio-canada.ca/nouvelle/1542051/candidature-ile-anticosti-patrimoine-mondial-unesco-retardee-un-an-parcs-canada

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 15 Sep 2020 07:28 
Hard to get excited about most European proposals.

winterkjm:
WHC 2022 [Cultural or Mixed Nominations]
- Grossglockner High Alpine Road (Austria)
- Funeral Sites and Memorials of the First World War (Belgium, France)
- Brazilian Fortresses Ensemble (Brazil)
- Žatec – the Hops Town (Czechia)
- Viking Age Ring Fortresses (Denmark)
- Old Synagogue and Mikveh in Erfurt (Germany)
- The Colonial Transisthmian Route of Panamá (Panama)
- The Gdańsk Shipyard – the birthplace of "Solidarity" symbol of the fall of Communism in East-Central Europe (Poland)
- Vila Viçosa, Renaissance Ducal Village (Portugal)
- Gaya Tumuli (Republic of Korea)
- Olive Grove Landscape of Andalusia (Spain)

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#39 | Posted: 15 Sep 2020 11:39 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Here are the sites you listed, but based on our community reviews. Many agree with you!

Sites funéraires et mémoriels de la Première Guerre mondiale (Front Ouest) 78% (9 votes)
Gaya Tumuli 75% (4 votes)
Großglockner High Alpine Road 67% (9 votes)
Gdansk Shipyard 67% (6 votes)
Brazilian Fortresses Ensemble 67% (3 votes)
Viking Age Ring Fortresses 60% (5 votes)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
The Olive Grove Landscapes of Andalusia 44% (9 votes)
Old Synagogue and Mikveh in Erfurt 40% (10 votes)
Vila Viçosa, Renaissance ducal town 25% (4 votes)
Žatec – the Hops Town 20% (10 votes)
The Colonial Transisthmian Route of Panamá 17% (6 votes)

I cannot really see any site listed above surpassing a 3.0 rating level (if inscribed), though I am sure some are pleasant enough.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 15 Sep 2020 14:55 
One would say Europe has no more top sites to put forward, but I think we still might have some European top sites in the Top Missing exercise we did earlier this year (and for which we still need to proceed to the next stage...).

Page  Page 3 of 3:  « Previous  1  2  3 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2022 WHC

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑