World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2021 WHC

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next »

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 21 Jul 2018 00:58 | Edited by: winterkjm 

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 21 Jul 2018 02:08 | Edited by: winterkjm 
2021 WHC Nominations:

Africa (0)

Arab States (0)

Asia/Pacific (3)
- The Ancient Waterfront Towns in the South of Yangtze River (China)
- Sado Complex of Heritage Mines (Japan)
- Gaya Tumuli (Republic of Korea)

Europe (6)
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire - Eastern Danube (Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia)
- Funeral Sites and Memorials of the First World War (Belgium, France)
- Cordouan Lighthouse (France)
- ShUM cities of Speyer, Worms and Mainz (Germany)
- Appian Way "Queen viarum" (Italy)
- Talayotic Culture of Minorca (Spain)

Latin America (0)

North America (2)
- Tr'ond√ęk-Klondike (Canada)
- Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks (USA)

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 9 Aug 2018 03:02 

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 9 Aug 2018 04:33 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
winterkjm:
Cresswell Crags (UK)

It feels more like a Press Release to drum up interest over the School Summer holidays, but it may well be an indication of movement and the quote from the relevant government department (DCMS) doesn't actually say anything about it, which may be telling. But perhaps it would be next after Jodrell Bank.
Paul Baker, director of the Creswell Crags Trust:
"To my knowledge no UK submission to UNESCO has ever failed..."

Hmm...

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 12 Aug 2018 09:34 | Edited by: Solivagant 
meltwaterfalls:
but it may well be an indication of movement and the quote from the relevant government department (DCMS) doesn't actually say anything about it, which may be telling. But perhaps it would be next after Jodrell Bank.

My current understanding is that the "Slate Industry of N Wales" is likely to be UK's next nomination.
My review of Oct 2017 gave the likely reasoning and that was partially confirmed by a blog I found from Feb 2018. This includes these 2 paras
"On February 1st, I attended a meeting at the Amgueddfa Lechi (Slate Museum) in Llanberis to discuss making the Welsh Slate industry a World Heritage Site. The bid is being put forward by Gwynedd Council and has been in progress since 2010. They're only now bringing the details out to public"
and
"Full nomination will be put in front of the DCMS in September 2018, presentation of the nomination to UNESCO in January 2019 with a decision being made by UNESCO in July 2020."
(For the blog see - http://becster.com/world-heritage-site-nomination-welsh-slate-industry/ . I have asked for an update - but with no reply!!)

The date of Sept 2018 coincides with what seems to be the latest "timetable" operated by UK - thus the Jodrell Bank nomination only became "official" in Oct 2017. It seems that sites put forward their "final" documentation to the Dept of Culture, Media and Sport (DCMS) in Sept and IT then indicates publicly that the site is to be nominated in the next January for consideration at the following year's WHC. So, if Welsh Slate IS to be the next UK nomination (for 2020) we should find out inside the next 8 weeks.

The autumn publication of a nomination will of course have been preceded by a period during which any nomination will have been "worked up". From the Jodrell Bank experience, nothing "official" is published publicly during that period. We knew for instance that Jodrell Bank had appointed someone with nomination as an objective but the nomination itself emerged a bit from "left field" in Oct 2017 - and any Welsh Slate nomination emerging in Oct 2018 would be similar in that respect.

So - it "could" be that Creswell Crags is in the process of developing a nomination which "might" emerge in Oct 2019 for Jul 2021. The Trust which "owns" the site appointed a new Director in Nov 2017. The "news" picked up by the Nottingham Post might indeed indicate that something has been going on in the background - "No smoke without fire"!

I would have thought that it would be "tough" for Creswell to develop a unique proposition. The Prehistoric Cave/Art World Heritage domain has been getting rather crowded in recent years!! 2012 - Israel, 2014 - France, 2016 UK/Gib, 2017 Germany 2018 ......... How many more can the list need/take?? But Gibraltar somehow managed to find a bit of "space" to fit in its caves ("In conclusion, the Gibraltar site offers a long and unique temporal sequence that covers the entire Late Pleistocene and it complements the Mount Carmel World Heritage Site: Mount Carmel covers the time range 350-82,000 years ago and Gibraltar the time range 127-13,000 years ago. Together, the two sites offer a unique chronology from the beginnings of the Neanderthals (Mount Carmel), the earliest contact with modern humans (Mount Carmel), through the period of the Neanderthal population decline and eventual extinction (Gibraltar) and the latest arrival of modern humans into Neanderthal territory (Gibraltar). The second part of the Neanderthal story is currently missing from the World Heritage List. The Gibraltar site would amply fill this gap.") - so maybe Creswell can too!!

Creswell does have a reasonably "famous" populariser of archaeology among its supporters - Paul Bahn - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Bahn - he discovered the Ice age art there back in 2003. But being "special" in UK terms is unlikely to be enough (even if it does have the UK's "first nude"!!). Any nomination will have to demonstrate a wider importance and it seems that the claim will be that this is the "most northerly place on Earth where Ice Age art had been found". Also these caves DO still have ice-age art in situ and not all removed to musea as with those in the Swabian Jura.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 29 Sep 2018 18:57 

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 12 Oct 2018 06:52 
- Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks (USA)

More confirmation, USA's intended nomination following the FLW buildings is Earthwork Mounds in Ohio. The conservative and most likely schedule is 2021.

https://www.cleveland.com/expo/life-and-culture/erry-2018/10/b239a93b3a2061/ohios-hop ewell-ceremonial-eart.html

Author elsslots
Admin
#23 | Posted: 12 Oct 2018 08:18 
winterkjm:
More confirmation, USA's intended nomination following the FLW buildings is Earthwork Mounds in Ohio. The conservative and most likely schedule is 2021.

At which year you are now expecting FLW, winterkjm?

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 12 Oct 2018 11:13 
I am fairly certain 2019.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 16 Oct 2018 05:31 
Megalithic sites of Carnac (France)

Seems like real potential for 2021, if all goes well.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#26 | Posted: 23 Oct 2018 10:09 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Well I suggested the other week ( https://www.worldheritagesite.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=16&topic=2101 &page=2#msg20580 ) that Welsh Slate would be the next UK nomination - but it is going to be 1 year later -i.e 2021 . So no UK nomination in 2020 -
See https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/oct/23/welsh-slate-quarries-gwynedd-to-be-no minated-as-unesco-world-heritage-site

ELS - my review of it appears to have "lost" its photo - it was there the other week! Any ideas or shall I find and re-upload it??

Author elsslots
Admin
#27 | Posted: 23 Oct 2018 10:22 
Solivagant:
ELS - my review of it appears to have "lost" its photo - it was there the other week! Any ideas or shall I find and re-upload it??

It's back again - somehow it had photo = 0

Author Durian
Partaker
#28 | Posted: 24 Oct 2018 05:29 

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#29 | Posted: 24 Oct 2018 05:52 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Durian:
UK - Official? Slate landscape of North West Wales

Yes - see above yesterday!
What I don't understand is why they are saying that it is the "2019 nomination", will "be formally submitted in mid 2019"..... and "will then be considered by the International Council of Sites and Monuments followed by the World Heritage Committee in 2021". The nomination for the 2021 WHC will have to be submitted by end Jan 2020. Perhaps the "Mid 2019" date refers to being submitted to the UK's DCMS for them to give it the once over before forwarding to UNESCO?? I don't think that anything will be done if a nomination is submitted to UNESCO before Jan? The official UNESCO nomination timetable hasn't changed has it??
I suspect they are trying to "hide" that there won't be a nomination in Jan 2019?? Except of course that the "Great Spas of Europe" with Bath is currently scheduled to be put forward then - so UK could still have a nomination for the 2020 WHC.

Author Assif
Partaker
#30 | Posted: 24 Oct 2018 16:22 

Page  Page 2 of 5:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2021 WHC

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑