World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2020 WHC

Page  Page 15 of 16:  « Previous  1  ...  13  14  15  16  Next »

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#211 | Posted: 20 May 2019 18:28 
China didn't send any nomination. This happened after long time.

Author warwass
Partaker
#212 | Posted: 20 May 2019 19:01 
Many surprises and not too exciting... And very poor year for my count. But this motivates me to go back to some countries or visit the ones that were not on my wish list... The most surprising for me are the nominations from Georgia and Mongolia.

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#213 | Posted: 20 May 2019 20:33 
@Solivagant
Had I known THAT was the site in Peru getting fast tracked... Didn't get to Chankillo this time around :(

Author carlosarion
Partaker
#214 | Posted: 20 May 2019 21:13 
watkinstravel

Another reason to go back to Peru then, watkins!

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#215 | Posted: 20 May 2019 23:09 | Edited by: winterkjm 
We did so well in 2018 and 2019! I am not completely surprised that we missed so much, since 15 or so nominations, all the news seemed to have dried up considerably from initial reports. Still surprised how inaccurate our final tally was.

Most interesting additions unlooked for:
- Deer Stone Monuments and Related Sites, the Heart of Bronze Age Culture (Mongolia)
- Chankillo Solar Observatory and Ceremonial Center (Peru)

Sadly, nearly all reports of a strong presence of African nominations in 2020 did not turn out. Two years straight with only one complete nomination from Africa.

Author davidyao
Partaker
#216 | Posted: 20 May 2019 23:21 
kkanekahn
kkanekahn:
China didn't send any nomination. This happened after long time.

It will be Zayton(Quanzhou)in 2020

Author Assif
Partaker
#217 | Posted: 21 May 2019 17:57 | Edited by: Assif 
Solivagant:
Uruguay L'œuvre de l'ingénieur Eladio Dieste : église d'Atlántida

There was a long debate which sites would be included in this nomination. San Pedro in Durazno and Diesde's residence in Montevideo were major candidates. Uruguay has evidently made the decision to only include the Atlantida church, which is the best example of his work in Uruguay. Nonetheless, it seems questionable to me whether a single church can make it to the list. But since Naumburg, maybe it has become possible again.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#218 | Posted: 25 May 2019 15:21 | Edited by: winterkjm 
2020 WHC Nominations: 22

Africa (1)
- Holqa Sof Umar: Natural and Cultural Heritage (Sof Umar: Caves of Mystery) (Ethiopia)

Arab States (1)
- Cultural Rock Arts in Himã Najrãn (Saudi Arabia)

Asia & Pacific (6)
- Historic Monuments and Sites of Ancient Quanzhou (Zayton) (China)
- The Glorious Kakatiya Temples and Gateways – Rudreshwara (Ramappa) Temple, Palampet, Jayashankar Bhupalpally District, Telangana State (India)
- Trans-Iranian Railway (Iran)
- Amami-Oshima Island, Tokunoshima Island, Northern part of Okinawa Island, and Iriomote Island (Japan)
- Deer Stone Monuments and Related Sites, the Heart of Bronze Age Culture (Mongolia)
- Getbol, Korean Tidal Flat (Republic of Korea)

Europe (10)
- The Great Spas of Europe (Austria, Belgium, Czechia, France, Germany, Italy, United Kingdom)
- The Lighthouse of Cordouan (France)
- Colchic Rainforests and Wetlands (Georgia)
- Mathildenhöhe Darmstadt (Germany)
- Fortress of Spinalonga (Greece)
- Padova Urbs picta, Giotto's Scrovegni Chapel and Padua's fourteenth-century fresco cycles (Italy)
- Dutch Water Defense Lines [extension] (Netherlands)
- Classical Karst (Slovenia)
- Paseo del Prado and Buen Retiro, a landscape of Arts and Sciences (Spain)
- Arslantepe Mound (Turkey)

Latin America & Caribbean (4)
- Sítio Roberto Burle Marx (Brazil)
- Historical and Archaeological Site of La Isabela (Dominican Republic)
- Chankillo Solar Observatory and ceremonial center (Peru)
- L'œuvre de l'ingénieur Eladio Dieste : église d'Atlántida Uruguay)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Referred Nominations (2018)
Koloniën van Weldadigheid (agricultural pauper colonies) (Belgium, Netherlands)
Roșia Montană Mining Cultural Landscape (Romania)

Based on reports, its highly likely Quanzhou meets the deadline to submit their referred back nomination. Does anyone have any information on the other referred nominations from 2018?

Author Durian
Partaker
#219 | Posted: 30 May 2019 21:25 
Solivagant:
The following from our list didn't make it as far as even an incomplete or postponed nomination.

Solivagant:
Royal Belum State Park (Malaysia)

- No surprise for this indefinite postponement under current Mahathir government, State of Perak requests more and more money from central government for preparation and future budget commitment if Belum be listed. So with fiscal problem, no clear sign for any site of Malaysia will be nominate soon. Hope Perak will not start logging again for revenue in Belum's nearby forest.

Solivagant:
Semarang Old Town (Indonesia)

- Another postpone since for cultural site, Bogor and resubmit of Old Jakarta will be priority.

Solivagant:
Chiang Mai Cultural Landscape (Thailand)

- need more time to revise document so 2021(?) they excavated city wall last week to find exact age.

Author Messy
Partaker
#220 | Posted: 1 Jul 2019 09:19 
Any American (USA) places that you have heard about?

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#221 | Posted: 1 Jul 2019 09:46 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Only Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks has any chance in the coming years. This Ohio nomination has been in the work for years and has been declared the priority site by the Department of the Interior. I expect a 2021 or 2022 dossier. There is no indication of other USA nominations having reached an advanced stage in their nomination dossier, nor has any additional nominations been selected as priority sites by the DOI.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#222 | Posted: 9 Jul 2019 03:43 | Edited by: Solivagant 
The Next WHC is to be in CHINA! (Was always likely to be the case??)
Fujian province.
FUZHOU
The new Chairperson is of course also Chinese. He reminds us all that President Xi worked in Fuzhou and of all the things he achieved!!!!!!
Must have all been "set up" before hand - the (Vice) mayor of Fuzhou is present and a video is available!!! Fuzhou - "City of Happiness"!!!! And of course -a player in the "Belt and Road initiative"

I see that China doesn't have a nomination for this meeting???? So - no potential conflict of interest or need to be given a prize! I wonder if that too was all pre-planned (originally -as per suggestions above - it was to have had Zayton??). Or are there any outstanding "referrals"?

Bahrain, Spain, Hungary will be vice chairs. Latin American Vice Chair still has to be decided after next General Assembly has elected the WHC members.
Hungary to provide Rapporteur

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#223 | Posted: 9 Jul 2019 10:57 
Solivagant:
I see that China doesn't have a nomination for this meeting???? So - no potential conflict of interest or need to be given a prize! I wonder if that too was all pre-planned (originally -as per suggestions above - it was to have had Zayton??). Or are there any outstanding "referrals"?

I thought Historic Monuments and Sites of Ancient Quanzhou (Zayton) was all but a guarantee at this point after a Referral in 2018. Is there any confirmation it's not moving forward for 2020?

Author elsslots
Admin
#224 | Posted: 9 Jul 2019 11:11 
winterkjm:
I thought Historic Monuments and Sites of Ancient Quanzhou (Zayton) was all but a guarantee at this point after a Referral in 2018. Is there any confirmation it's not moving forward for 2020?

And in Fujian province!!

Author ajoszucs
Partaker
#225 | Posted: 10 Jul 2019 11:48 
Roșia Montană Mining Cultural Landscape (Romania)

- I would rather bet on 2021. Next parlamentary elections are scheduled in March 2021. If current trends do not change essentially PSD the currently ruling left-nationalist party will lose and a PNL - USR (liberal -moderate right) governemt is likely to form. As USR grew from the grassroot movements that organized the mass rellies for Rosia Montana they will definitely carry on with the nomination process. Until than under the PSD governemnt it's rather unlikely.

Page  Page 15 of 16:  « Previous  1  ...  13  14  15  16  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2020 WHC

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑