| Forums | Reply | Search |             Start | The List | Community | Blog
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2020 WHC

Page  Page 11 of 12:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  12  Next »  
Author Durian
Registered
#151 | Posted: 2 Oct 2018 03:38 
winterkjm:
Possible snag for Malaysia's nomination?

The news is about the controversial rail project that cut through another tentative site, Gombak Selangor Quartz Ridge.

Author Durian
Registered
#152 | Posted: 7 Oct 2018 20:08 | Edited by: Durian 
India - Deccan Sultanate Sites

The report said the nomination alteady sent to WH center!

https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/monuments-in-nk-proposed-as-world-he ritage-sites/article25151396.ece

Author Solivagant
Registered
#153 | Posted: 8 Oct 2018 05:02 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Durian:
India - Deccan Sultanate Sites
The report said the nomination alteady sent to WH center!
https://www.thehindu.com/news/national/karnataka/monuments-in-nk-proposed-as-world-he ritage-sites/article25151396.ece

This report in the Hindu is headlined "Monuments in NK proposed as World Heritage Sites".
It took me a little while to decode "NK" but apparently it stands for "North Karnataka" (a.k.a "Uttara Karnataka"). This is yet another region of an existing Indian State which has aspirations to gain full statehood (See - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Karnataka )
This "explains" why the article concentrates on just some of the elements included in this Nomination "The cluster of monuments and forts of the Deccan Sultanate, spread across Bidar, Vijayapura and Kalaburagi districts in the State, have been nominated by the Union government for inscription as UNESCO World Heritage Sites."
In fact it seems that the Nomination DOES include elements OUTSIDE "NK" - eg those in Hyderabad which is in Telengana State (Which was itself only created in 2014 by being hived off Andrha Pradesh - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telangana ).
So, those of us who have visited Hyderabad can still hope that its monuments gain inscription as part of the wider nomination even if the article largely fails to mention them!!!
Nb. They are also on India's T List in their own right as "The Qutb Shahi Monuments of Hyderabad Golconda Fort, Qutb Shahi Tombs, Charminar"
Previous nominations of this have failed because of their poor condition and encroachment of unplanned/illegal housing - but it does appear that significant effort/money has been spent to improve things so India may well be able to continue its recent successful run of nominations with this one! See this article from Aug 2018 - https://economictimes.indiatimes.com/news/politics-and-nation/hyderabads-legacy-deser ves-world-heritage-tag/articleshow/65273283.cms

Author Durian
Registered
#154 | Posted: 8 Oct 2018 08:28 

Author winterkjm
Registered
#155 | Posted: 24 Oct 2018 02:41 
winterkjm:
Nîmes, Antiquity to the present (France) OR Volcanoes and Forests of Mount Pelee and Pitons North of Martinique (France)

https://www.20minutes.fr/planete/2359583-20181024-martinique-espere-classer-montagne- pelee-pitons-nord-patrimoine-unesco

On December 15, the French official candidate is being decided amongst 3 contenders.

- Nimes
- Martinique
- Courdan Lighthouse

Author winterkjm
Registered
#156 | Posted: 24 Oct 2018 22:51 
Does this mean Slovenia is submitting a nomination for 2020? I don't see a joint nomination from Italy?

https://www.balcanicaucaso.org/eng/Areas/Slovenia/Collio-and-Brda-together-towards-UN ESCO-190508

Author elsslots
Admin
#157 | Posted: 24 Oct 2018 23:31 
winterkjm:
I don't see a joint nomination from Italy?

It's also not on Slovenia's Tentative List

Author Solivagant
Registered
#158 | Posted: 25 Oct 2018 03:34 | Edited by: Solivagant 
elsslots:
It's also not on Slovenia's Tentative List

This article dated 9 Sept 2018 makes it clearer that the process being described and the dates cited relate to getting the transnational areas on to the T Lists of the respective countries. There is a lot in earlier articles this year on the Web of meetings between the 2 communities to reach formal signed agreements about this
http://ilpiccolo.gelocal.it/trieste/cronaca/2018/09/09/news/entro-la-fine-di-febbraio -arrivera-la-risposta-alla-candidatura-unesco-del-collio-brda-1.17233643

In the earlier article I particularly noted the phrase
"to have more chances of success, Slovenia will officially present the candidacy".
It's that "strategy" again of a country with plenty of WHS using a transnational nomination to further increase its count without having to use up its annual quota of Nominations and hoping that the other country will be given an easier ride!
Amazing also that wine producing areas STILL see the possibility of further WHS inscriptions. The area is only a cockstride away from Prosecco!

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#159 | Posted: 26 Oct 2018 06:14 
Just a bit of confirmation on the Great Spas moving forward for 2020 and that Bath will be part of it, making it a double WHS if inscribed, I wonder what the boundaries will be?

As stated elsewhere on the forum but just for clarity, that seems to be the UK nomination for 2020, filling in the gap between Joderell Bank (2019) and the Welsh Slate Mines (2021)

Author winterkjm
Registered
#160 | Posted: 3 Nov 2018 11:28 | Edited by: winterkjm 
2020 WHC Nominations: 38

Africa (5)
Tarrafal Concentration Camp (Cabo Verde)
Réserve de Biosphère de l'Archipel des Bijagos (Guinea-Bissau)
Historic Sites and Cultural Landscapes of Manden (Mali)
Genocide Memorial Sites: Nyamata, Murambi, Bisesero and Gisozi (Rwanda)
Mission Ruins of Venn's Town (Seychelles)

Arab States (3)
Gebel Qatrani (Egypt)
Umm Al-Jamal Archaeological Site (Jordan)
Island of Djerba (Tunisia)

Asia/Pacific (15)
Mahasthangarh and its environs (Bangladesh)
Western Xia Imperial Tombs (China)
The Glorious Kakatiya Temples and Gateways –Rudreshwara (Ramappa) Temple (India)
Semarang Old Town (Indonesia)
Trans-Iranian Railway (Iran)
Amami-Oshima Island, Tokunoshima Island, the northern part of Okinawa Island and Iriomote Island (Japan)
Hin Nam Nor National Protected Area [Transboundary Extension] (Laos)
Royal Belum State Park (Malaysia)
Myauk-U Archaeological Area and Monuments (Myanmar)
Auckland Volcanic Fields (New Zealand)
Mt. Mantalingahan Protected Landscape (Philippines)
Getbol, Korea Tidal Flat (Republic of Korea)
Silk Roads: Zarafshan Corridor (Tajikistan, Uzbekistan)
Chiang Mai (Thailand)
Cat Ba Archipelago [Extension] (Vietnam)

Europe (13)
Great Spas of Europe (Austria, Belgium, Czechia, France, Germany, Italy, UK)
Boris and Gleb (Kalozha) Church in Grodno (Belarus)
The Ancient Plodiv (Bulgaria)
Augustów Canal (Belarus, Poland)
Darmstadt Artists' Colony Mathildenhöhe (Germany)
Fortress of Spinalonga (Greece)
Padova Urbs Picta (Italy) TOP MISSING
Nieuwe Hollandse Waterline (Netherlands)
Vila Viçosa, Renaissance Ducal Town (Portugal)
Roșia Montană Mining Cultural Landscape (Romania)
The Timeless, Humanistic Architecture of Jože Plečnik in Ljubljana (Slovenia)
Paseo del Prado and El Retiro. Landscape of Arts and Sciences (Spain)
The Rise of Systematic Biology (Sweden)
Ahlat Selçuklu Cemetery (Turkey)

Latin America and the Caribbean (2)
Lençóis Maranhenses National Park (Brazil)
Volcanoes and Forests of Mount Pelee and Pitons North of Martinique (France)

Dropped (potential for 2021)
FRIM Selangor Forest Park
Jômon Archaeological Sites in Hokkaidô, Northern Tôhoku, and other regions

Waiting Confirmation (likely delayed?)
Nîmes, Antiquity to the present (deferred in 2018)
City Walls of the Ming and Qing Dynasties (Expanded Serial Nomination)

Author Solivagant
Registered
#161 | Posted: 3 Nov 2018 11:35 | Edited by: Solivagant 
meltwaterfalls:
Just a bit of confirmation on the Great Spas moving forward for 2020 and that Bath will be part of it, making it a double WHS if inscribed, I wonder what the boundaries will be?

I understand that the decision has been made to propose exactly the same boundaries as are currently inscribed - both for ease of "explanation" and so that all the "protections" can be carried forward/replicated.
I have been trying to bring them up to date on their claim that "If it was approved then Bath would be a rare double-nominated UNESCO World Heritage site, alongside cultural icons such as Bruges and Barcelona."

Author winterkjm
Registered
#162 | Posted: 12 Nov 2018 18:30 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Classical Karst (Slovenia)

Not sure if this means The Timeless, Humanistic Architecture of Jože Plečnik in Ljubljana has been delayed? Perhaps one of these nominations will be transnational?

https://english.sta.si/2573260/classical-karst-to-be-listed-as-unesco-natural-heritag e-by-2020

https://www.primorske.si/primorska/srednja-primorska/januarja-oddaja-kandidature-klas icnega-krasa-na-un

Author Durian
Registered
#163 | Posted: 12 Nov 2018 22:10 | Edited by: Durian 
winterkjm:
Classical Karst (Slovenia)

Is this going to be a separate site from Skocjan Cave? The nomination is the same area with the cave, I think!

Author Solivagant
Registered
#164 | Posted: 13 Nov 2018 05:05 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Durian:
Is this going to be a separate site from Skocjan Cave? The nomination is the same area with the cave, I think!

From all the articles I have looked at (in both Slovene and English)
a. there seems no doubt that Slovenia is presenting this as an additional separate WHS from that of Skocjan.
b. I can find no discussion about whether it should (or should have) incorporate(d) the existing Skocjan Cave WHS - or even if anyone concerned with the nomination anticipates that this question will be raised and needs to be answered in readiness!
c. The term "Classical Karst" has a long history and a special "cultural meaning" in the history of geology and refers to a reasonably precisely defined area . Its area does include Skocjan Cave - even though that cave is not included in the selected areas for nomination
d. Originally the intention was (with UNESCO/IUCN support) to propose a much wider transnational nomination for the "Dinaric Karst" - incorporating Bosnia and Croatia. Slovenia appears to have become fed up with the lack of support and (again with IUCN/UNESCO support) to have dumped this wider nomination in favour of the limited "Classical Area". This seems to have happened before 2015 when Slovenia added "Classical Karst" to its T List
e. The "Classical Karst" area includes parts of what are now Italy (Trieste area) - but were not of course when the term was coined. I can find no evidence that Italy has tried to jump onto this nomination bandwagon in the same way as it did for the Rhaetian Railway!! This is unlike Italy which rarely misses a trick for gaining an extra WHS in its struggle to stay up with China! Perhaps Slovenia was determined to "go it alone" on this one having been let down with the earlier idea. It is noticeable that of Slovenia's 4 WHS only 1 (Skocjan) is NOT a transnational site.
f. The "Classical Karst" nomination has a much broader scope than the much earlier (1986) Skocjan WHS) whose OUV only covers the cave itself (its inscribed area is also very limited that surrounding/over the immediate cave whereas the wider nomination includes surface features of Karst landscap. (The AB evaluation refers to an area of "over 200ha" - but the current official UNESCO description sates 400ha). The Skocjan AB refers to ICOMOS covering cultural aspects - but no record exists that I can discover that such aspects were ever evaluated! Similarly there are articles which describe the "Classical Karst cultural landscape" - but I have no evidence that this would be presented as other than a purely natural WHS
g. So, I suppose that Slovenia had a choice of
i. incorporating its only existing non transnational WHS into its wider "Classical Karst" nomination
ii. Including Skocjan in the wider nomination whilst leaving it as a separate WHS as well (in much the same way as e,g Brugges and many other Cultural sites are inscribed twice
iii. excluding Skcjan from the wider nomination and emphasising other aspects for that nomination.
It appears to have chosen iii. How successful it will be in separating the geological OUV aspects already included in Skocjan from similar ones included as part of "Classical Karst" we will see. Within "Classical Karst" it has managed to include its other "great" cave tourist attraction - Postojna. We visited it many years ago - long before we visited Skocjan - so the 2 visits are too far apart to compare accurately. I do remember Postojna as being reached on a little tourist railway running inside the cave!

Here are a couple of related links
a. IUCN Thematic Study of Karst from 2008 - showing that IUCN was very much in favour of having some further examples inscribed from around the World - butb it was going for the wider Dinaric approach - https://www.iucn.org/content/world-heritage-caves-and-karst-a-thematic-study
b. An article which addresses the definition of "Classical Karst"- https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/pdf/10.1080/17445647.2016.1215941?needAccess=true

Author winterkjm
Registered
#165 | Posted: 16 Nov 2018 06:42 
The Historical Center of the Gorokhovets Vladimir Region (Russia)

https://www.interfax.ru/culture/638181

Page  Page 11 of 12:  « Previous  1  ...  9  10  11  12  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2020 WHC Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®