| Forums | Reply | Search |             Start | The List | Community | Blog
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2019 WHC

Page  Page 21 of 22:  « Previous  1  ...  19  20  21  22  Next »  
Author Solivagant
Registered
#301 | Posted: 2 Feb 2019 02:59 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Zoe:
If they would throw in a side trip to the Heard and McDonald islands I would be in for sure, but seems like a waste to skip it if one is already in the vicinity.

I know it is only a "jokey" comment but following it up has led me to a few points of interest which others might also find to be so!
a. I hadn't really picked up on how "relatively" close Kerguelen and Heard/McD are
i. Heard to Kerguelen 500 kms
ii. St Denis (Reunion) to Kerguelen 3399 kms
iii. Fremantle to Heard 4084 kms
b. So it would actually be a slightly shorter sail in terms of distance to reach Heard from Reunion than from Fremantle (3869 kms Great Circle missing out Kerguelen)!!! The Crozet and Amsterdam Islands are both closer to Reunion than Kerguelen is.
c. Heard and McDonald are both situated on the same geological formation as the Kerguelen islands - my knowledge of Plate Tectonics is probably much the same as most other non geologists with a general interest but, as a result of this issue I have now learned about LIPs ("Large Igneous Provinces") - which is apparently what the Kerguelen Plateau is!!
d. Having been on a very slow boat in the southern oceans I appreciate that even a few kms can be a "big sail". Our smaller Russian vessel had a cruising speed of 13 knots in normal weather - the Marion Dufresne does 15.7 knots apparently (Wiki) = 29.1 kms p hour. So that "little" extra journey on a World map of 500 kms to get from Kerguelen to Heard/Mc D is going to take at least 17 hours each way!!
e. It will be interesting to see what IUCN makes of the differences between the OUV of TAFF and the already inscribed Heard/McD. This article from WWF treats all of them ( apart from Amsterdam Islands) as being in the same eco-region. With differences no doubt as between some species -but enough to justify a further inscription?? Heard/McD were originally deferred (1991) because of uncertainty about how unique vis a vis other islands they were. The IUCN evaluation which eventually recommended inscription for Heard/McD went into some details regarding the respective values and common aspects of the sub Antarctic Islands which included Kerguelen etc -

Author Zoe
Registered
#302 | Posted: 2 Feb 2019 03:13 
I was semi-joking but good point about the islands being in the same eco-region, so perhaps a de/referral isn't out of the question.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#303 | Posted: 8 Feb 2019 05:17 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Solivagant:
12 to 9 in favour of Inscribe but not enough!

Prosecco Hills of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene (Italy) - I am not sure we ever learned the exact breakdown of the secret ballot vote amongst committee members? Well, it seems Italy found out. The vote of each member of the world heritage committee is explained in the article below. This may come into play again in 2019!

https://www.ilgazzettino.it/nordest/treviso/patrimonio_unesco_colline_prosecco_veneto -4284408.html

In Favor of Inscription
Angola, Azerbaijan, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Burkina Faso, Cuba, Guatemala, Kuwait, Tanzania, Tunisia, Uganda, Hungary, Zimbabwe

Opposed Inscription
Australia, Brazil, China, Indonesia, Kyrgyzstan, Bahrain, Norway, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Spain

Author nfmungard
Registered
#304 | Posted: 9 Feb 2019 13:22 
Just to point this out: If you want to favor/not favor inscription of the 2019 batch of nominated sites, you can.

Simply open the relevant tent sites from here: https://www.worldheritagesite.org/nominated/2019.

And for each vote up / down.

Author Solivagant
Registered
#305 | Posted: 9 Feb 2019 15:13 | Edited by: Solivagant 
I have just had a look at the "Reviewed status" of the 43 new nominations for 2019 (excluding the Ohrid Region extension)
We have already reviewed 31 of them which leaves 12 "unreviewed". It would be "nice" to get as many as possible covered before the WHC

Of the 31 already "reviewed" a slight question arises re
Serra de Bocaina (Brazil) - it is shown as being part of the Gold Route (which is reviewed) -is that correct?
Brancusi Monumental Ensemble of Targu Jiu has only a "thin" review (and that isn't to criticize Tsunami) - can we do a fuller one based on the site's OUV???

The 12 with no reviews to date are
Alpi del Mediterraneo
Babylon
Colonial Transisthmian Route of Panamá
Historic Guild Town of Mudumu
Hyrcanian Forests
Jaipur City, Rajasthan
Kızılırmak Delta Wetland and Bird Sanctuary
Migratory Bird Sanctuaries along the Coast of Yellow Sea
Rijal Almaa
Sites de metallurgie ancienne du fer
Sunken City of Port Royal
Terres et mers australes francaises

Surely we can do some of these ??? There is a problem with identifying the nominated boundaries of some of them e.g Transisthmian Route and Hyrcanian forests, and we might have to await the AB evaluations?
I could do Jaipur and Port Royal. However -my experiences of both are from quite a long time ago!!! Does anyone else want to take them on??
And surely among us there are some who have visited some of the others - e.g Mediterranean Alps, Kizilirmak??

Author nfmungard
Registered
#306 | Posted: 9 Feb 2019 16:16 
Solivagant:
Colonial Transisthmian Route of Panamá

Already written ;) Should follow the next weeks.

Jaipur I could manage, too.

Author Assif
Registered
#307 | Posted: 9 Feb 2019 18:32 
nfmungard:
Just to point this out: If you want to favor/not favor inscription of the 2019 batch of nominated sites, you can.

Thanks for the new feature, nfmungard. Großglockner and Writing-on-Stone are not working for some reason.

Author elsslots
Admin
#308 | Posted: 9 Feb 2019 22:12 
Assif:
Thanks for the new feature, nfmungard. Großglockner and Writing-on-Stone are not working for some reason.

This is an error, I'll bring it forward to the new release of the website topic

Author elsslots
Admin
#309 | Posted: 9 Feb 2019 22:29 
Solivagant:
Serra de Bocaina (Brazil) - it is shown as being part of the Gold Route (which is reviewed) -is that correct?

Yes: see http://www.icmbio.gov.br/portal/ultimas-noticias/20-geral/9984-brasil-podera-ter-siti o-misto-reconhecido-pela-unesco

Author Zoe
Registered
#310 | Posted: 10 Feb 2019 09:46 
Terres et mers australes francaises, I'll take care of that one...oh...wait...I meant Hyrcanian Forests ;)

Author Zos
Registered
#311 | Posted: 10 Feb 2019 10:22 
I could do Jaipur too. The Yellow Sea nomination is a bit tricky as it will be by phases. Phase 1 seems to be only the sites near Yantai (based on the conversation we have in the WHS traveller Wechat group.) I am thinking of visiting those near Shanhaiguan with the visit of the great wall conponent there in spring. Hopefully we will have clarity by that time which sites are included in this nomination.Zos

Author nfmungard
Registered
#312 | Posted: 10 Feb 2019 13:08 
Zos:
I could do Jaipur too

Wrote Jaipur just now to test the website. But feel free to add a different view point :) Also, thanks to Zoe's dedication in supplying reviews the queue has gotten pretty filled up I believe. Will take a few weeks.

Author elsslots
Admin
#313 | Posted: 10 Feb 2019 13:13 
nfmungard:
Wrote Jaipur just now to test the website. But feel free to add a different view point :) Also, thanks to Zoe's dedication in supplying reviews the queue has gotten pretty filled up I believe. Will take a few weeks.

I "do" 1 Zoe a day. Also 1 Nan a day. There is room for others!

Author nfmungard
Registered
#314 | Posted: 10 Feb 2019 13:21 
elsslots:
Also 1 Nan a day. There is room for others!

needed to the test website :) and with the tentative recommendations on board i finally managed to see where i would add value, i.e. no prior review existed.

Author elsslots
Admin
#315 | Posted: 12 Feb 2019 00:47 
Solivagant:
Hyrcanian Forests

Wojtek has just delivered a review on that one. Will be published Feb 23 (sorry for the long queue, but there are lots of reviews coming in these days)

Page  Page 21 of 22:  « Previous  1  ...  19  20  21  22  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2019 WHC Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®