| Forums | Reply | Search |             Start | The List | Community | Blog
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2019 WHC

Page  Page 20 of 20:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  18  19  20  
Author Solivagant
Registered
#286 | Posted: 8 Jan 2019 11:57 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Zoe:
Additionally I am curious if the IUCN actually goes to the French islands to review them. Must be quite an effort.

But what "expert" on the sub Antarctic would forego such a trip???
And the French government would facilitate whatever was necessary. It operates a supply/patrol /research vessel on regular round trips ex Reunion - The "Marion Dufresne". Not that difficult to fit in a couple of extra scientists/naturalists? We have been on rather smaller ships originally built for similar purposes (albeit ex Russian) to S Georgia and Antarctic - it is amazing how extra berths can be found!!! It takes 110 passengers anyway and even has a "hospital" (we just had doctor on a freebie!). France seems to be using it to take tourists, presumably to offset its cost, so, at best, only had to lose a few "paying customers" for 28 days - a mere nothing to gain an inscription!! - "In addition to the usual complement of scientists, researchers, technicians and construction workers, in recent years the Marion Dufresne has also played host to an increasing number of tourists (up to 14 per trip) who book passage for a period lasting about 28 days". - See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Dufresne_(1995)

Indeed this Twitter post for Nov 28 2018 would seem to show some lucky people engaged in the "Évaluation de la candidature au Patrimoine Mondial de #UNESCO des Terres et mers australes / Visite Station Climat CO2 #IPEV / #TAAF / Amsterdam. " - On Amsterdam Island near the end of the November sailing.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/candidatureUnesco?src=hash

PS. If you REALLY want that tick (assuming it gets inscribed - which it is very likely to) - then it's yours for c 9000 Euros plus flights to/from Reunion ("cheaper" than Wrangel!!) -
"Tourists can book a cabin in the base support ship Marion Dufresne for around €9,000. There are four trips open to tourists per year. The trip leaves from Réunion and takes about 28 days, half of them at sea and half on land. It covers 9,000 km in the Indian Ocean, visiting three or four islands in this order: Crozet, Kerguelen, and Amsterdam before returning to Réunion. If scientists need to go there, the ship stops near Saint Paul but nobody is permitted to set foot on land.". See - https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Kerguelen

Author Zoe
Registered
#287 | Posted: 9 Jan 2019 13:20 
Meetup 2020!!!

Author mrayers
Registered
#288 | Posted: 9 Jan 2019 14:59 
Zoe:
Meetup 2020!!!

Make that 2025, and I might be able to join in!

(Well, probably not, but it is something I would love to do around that time, assuming I have enough "extra" money lying around. Since it's not too likely that I will have 17k euro [single cabin] available then, it will probably just remain a dream.)

Author carlosarion
Registered
#289 | Posted: 15 Jan 2019 05:12 | Edited by: carlosarion 
Hi everyone! Does anybody know when UNESCO WHS would post the nomination texts and other documents on their website? Is it typically in February?

https://whc.unesco.org/en/sessions/43COM/

Author elsslots
Admin
#290 | Posted: 15 Jan 2019 05:21 
carlosarion:
Does anybody know when UNESCO WHS posts the nomination texts and other documents on their website? Is it typically in February?

No, that will not be earlier than in May

Author winterkjm
Registered
#291 | Posted: 16 Jan 2019 22:51 

Author carlosarion
Registered
#292 | Posted: 17 Jan 2019 05:55 
I've read through the nomination dossier of the Vatnajokull National Park--and it's interesting to note that the nominated property is almost 14% of the total land area of Iceland. I know Papahānaumokuākea and Namib Sand Sea are huge sites as well, but not necessarily huge compared to the land area of their countries.

Author jonathanfr
Registered
#293 | Posted: 17 Jan 2019 07:46 
carlosarion:
I've read through the nomination dossier of the Vatnajokull National Park--and it's interesting to note that the nominated property is almost 14% of the total land area of Iceland. I know Papahānaumokuākea and Namib Sand Sea are huge sites as well, but not necessarily huge compared to the land area of their countries.

We have a connection about that : https://www.worldheritagesite.org/connection/Covers+more+than+5%25+of+country#1160

Author Solivagant
Registered
#294 | Posted: 17 Jan 2019 12:32 
jonathanfr:
We have a connection about that :

Indeed - I have just done a calculation for Namib Sand Sea and it is "only" 3.73% of Namibia

Page  Page 20 of 20:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  18  19  20 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2019 WHC Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®