| Forums | Reply | Search |             Start | The List | Community | Blog
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /

2019 WHC

Page  Page 20 of 22:  « Previous  1  ...  19  20  21  22  Next »  
Author Solivagant
Registered
#286 | Posted: 8 Jan 2019 11:57 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Zoe:
Additionally I am curious if the IUCN actually goes to the French islands to review them. Must be quite an effort.

But what "expert" on the sub Antarctic would forego such a trip???
And the French government would facilitate whatever was necessary. It operates a supply/patrol /research vessel on regular round trips ex Reunion - The "Marion Dufresne". Not that difficult to fit in a couple of extra scientists/naturalists? We have been on rather smaller ships originally built for similar purposes (albeit ex Russian) to S Georgia and Antarctic - it is amazing how extra berths can be found!!! It takes 110 passengers anyway and even has a "hospital" (we just had doctor on a freebie!). France seems to be using it to take tourists, presumably to offset its cost, so, at best, only had to lose a few "paying customers" for 28 days - a mere nothing to gain an inscription!! - "In addition to the usual complement of scientists, researchers, technicians and construction workers, in recent years the Marion Dufresne has also played host to an increasing number of tourists (up to 14 per trip) who book passage for a period lasting about 28 days". - See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marion_Dufresne_(1995)

Indeed this Twitter post for Nov 28 2018 would seem to show some lucky people engaged in the "Évaluation de la candidature au Patrimoine Mondial de #UNESCO des Terres et mers australes / Visite Station Climat CO2 #IPEV / #TAAF / Amsterdam. " - On Amsterdam Island near the end of the November sailing.
https://twitter.com/hashtag/candidatureUnesco?src=hash

PS. If you REALLY want that tick (assuming it gets inscribed - which it is very likely to) - then it's yours for c 9000 Euros plus flights to/from Reunion ("cheaper" than Wrangel!!) -
"Tourists can book a cabin in the base support ship Marion Dufresne for around €9,000. There are four trips open to tourists per year. The trip leaves from Réunion and takes about 28 days, half of them at sea and half on land. It covers 9,000 km in the Indian Ocean, visiting three or four islands in this order: Crozet, Kerguelen, and Amsterdam before returning to Réunion. If scientists need to go there, the ship stops near Saint Paul but nobody is permitted to set foot on land.". See - https://en.wikivoyage.org/wiki/Kerguelen

Author Zoe
Registered
#287 | Posted: 9 Jan 2019 13:20 
Meetup 2020!!!

Author mrayers
Registered
#288 | Posted: 9 Jan 2019 14:59 
Zoe:
Meetup 2020!!!

Make that 2025, and I might be able to join in!

(Well, probably not, but it is something I would love to do around that time, assuming I have enough "extra" money lying around. Since it's not too likely that I will have 17k euro [single cabin] available then, it will probably just remain a dream.)

Author carlosarion
Registered
#289 | Posted: 15 Jan 2019 05:12 | Edited by: carlosarion 
Hi everyone! Does anybody know when UNESCO WHS would post the nomination texts and other documents on their website? Is it typically in February?

https://whc.unesco.org/en/sessions/43COM/

Author elsslots
Admin
#290 | Posted: 15 Jan 2019 05:21 
carlosarion:
Does anybody know when UNESCO WHS posts the nomination texts and other documents on their website? Is it typically in February?

No, that will not be earlier than in May

Author winterkjm
Registered
#291 | Posted: 16 Jan 2019 22:51 

Author carlosarion
Registered
#292 | Posted: 17 Jan 2019 05:55 
I've read through the nomination dossier of the Vatnajokull National Park--and it's interesting to note that the nominated property is almost 14% of the total land area of Iceland. I know Papahānaumokuākea and Namib Sand Sea are huge sites as well, but not necessarily huge compared to the land area of their countries.

Author jonathanfr
Registered
#293 | Posted: 17 Jan 2019 07:46 
carlosarion:
I've read through the nomination dossier of the Vatnajokull National Park--and it's interesting to note that the nominated property is almost 14% of the total land area of Iceland. I know Papahānaumokuākea and Namib Sand Sea are huge sites as well, but not necessarily huge compared to the land area of their countries.

We have a connection about that : https://www.worldheritagesite.org/connection/Covers+more+than+5%25+of+country#1160

Author Solivagant
Registered
#294 | Posted: 17 Jan 2019 12:32 
jonathanfr:
We have a connection about that :

Indeed - I have just done a calculation for Namib Sand Sea and it is "only" 3.73% of Namibia

Author winterkjm
Registered
#295 | Posted: 25 Jan 2019 03:50 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Prosecco Hills of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene (Italy)

Looks like Italy won't quit on this nomination or even delay it to 2021. Since they "forced" a referral, it will now be re-evaluated for 2019!

https://www.venetoeconomia.it/2019/01/unesco-candidatura-padova-prosecco/

Author winterkjm
Registered
#296 | Posted: 25 Jan 2019 04:22 | Edited by: winterkjm 
2019 WHC (44)

Africa (1)
- Ancient Iron Metallurgy Sites (Burkina Faso)

Arab States (4)
- Dilmun Burial Mounds (Bahrain)
- Babylon (Iraq)
- The Historic Village of Rijal Almaa in Asir Region of Saudi Arabia (Saudi Arabia)
- Sharjah: the Gateway to the Trucial States (UAE)

Asia/Pacific (10)
- Budj Bim Cultural Landscape (Australia)
- Archaeological Ruins of Liangzhu City (China)
- Migratory Bird Sanctuaries along the Coast of Yellow Sea Bohai, Gulf of China (China)
- Jaipur City, Rajasthan (India)
- Ombilin Coal Mining Heritage of Sawahlunto (Indonesia)
- Hyrcanian Forests (Iran)
- Mozu-Furuichi Kofun Group: Mounded Tombs of Ancient Japan (Japan)
- Megalithic Jar Sites in Xiengkhuang – Plain of Jars (Laos)
- Bagan (Myanmar)
- Seowon, Korean Neo-Confucian Academies (Republic of Korea)

Europe (24)
- Sheki, The Khan's Palace (Azerbaijan)
- Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid region [extension] (Albania)
- Großglockner High Alpine Road (Austria)
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire – The Danube Limes (Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia)
- Hoge Kempen Rural-Industrial Transition Landscape (Belgium)
- Erzgebirge / Krušnohoří Mining Region (Czechia, Germany)
- Landscape for Breeding and Training of Ceremonial Carriage Horses at Kladruby nad Labem (Czechia)
- The Normandy Landing Beaches, 1944 (France)
- The National Nature Reserve of French Southern Territories (France)
- The Alps of the Mediterranean (France, Italy, Monaco)
- Water Management System of Augsburg (Germany)
- Vatnajökull National Park - Dynamic nature of fire and ice (Iceland)
- Prosecco Hills of Conegliano and Valdobbiadene (Italy)
- Sila Forests Ecosystems (Italy)
- Krzemionki prehistoric striped flint mining region (Poland)
- Sanctuary of Bom Jesus do Monte in Braga (Portugal)
- Royal Building of Mafra – Palace, Basilica, Convent, Cerco Garden and Hunting Park (Tapada) (Portugal)
- Brâncusi Monumental Ensemble of Târgu Jiu (Romania)
- Monuments of Ancient Pskov (Russia)
- Risco Caido and the Sacred mountains of Gran Canaria Cultural Landscape (Spain)
- Priorat-Montsant-Siurana, Mediterranean Mosaic, Agricultural Cultural Landscape (Spain)
- Historic Guild Town of Mudurnu: Testimonies of Akhism (Turkey)
- Kızılırmak Delta Wetland and Bird Sanctuary (Turkey)
- Jodrell Bank Observatory (United Kingdom)

Latin America/Caribbean (3)
- Paraty Culture and Biodiversity (Brazil)
- Sunken City of Port Royal – A Relict and Continuing Cultural Landscape (Jamaica)
- Colonial Transisthmian Route of Panamá (Panama)

North America (2)
- Writing-on-Stone / Áísínai'p (Canada)
- Key Works of Modern Architecture by Frank Lloyd Wright (USA)

While 2019 is exciting, with 4 top missing sites (Bagan, Plain of Jars, Babylon, and FLW Buildings) it is also a year where Europe is highly over-represented. In fact, Europe's 24 nominations tally higher than the rest of the world combined (Asia 10, Arab States 4, Africa 1, Latin America/Caribbean 3, N. America 2).

Italy, France, and Germany's 3 nominations each are particularly egregious and arguably against the spirit of the convention. After the embarrassing tantrums in 2018, I hope we do not witness similar bashing and utter disregard of the Advisory Bodies.

Lest we forget the debacle during the 2018 World Heritage Convention:

"I'm a little surprised that people who boast of culture are not more cultured than that or braver than that!" - Daniel-Jean Valade, assistant to the culture of Nîmes

"We hope ICOMOS will change its mind next time or it will be regarded as compromised." Italian Representative to UNESCO

Overturned nomination of Naumburg Cathedral to Inscription - ICOMOS was "unable to provide a recommendation", but kept leaning to Not to inscribe

Decision on Prosecco Hills
*ICOMOS advised Not to inscribe; amendment to Inscribe voted against 9-12 in secret ballot (no 2/3 majority). Finally overturned to a Referral after much debate, including a Deferral amendment lead by Australia.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#297 | Posted: 25 Jan 2019 05:04 

Author Colvin
Registered
#298 | Posted: 25 Jan 2019 21:15 
winterkjm:
it is also a year where Europe is highly over-represented.

Yes, and several countries in Europe are taking full advantage of the multi-party nominations. I would love to see more WHC members heed the advisory body recommendations, because if there were more rejections based on the recommendations, state parties might actually focus on sites truly worthy of world heritage status. As it is, I sometimes wonder at the rate Europe is going whether the whole continent (minus Dresden) will be World Heritage in 100 years.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#299 | Posted: 27 Jan 2019 10:55 
carlosarion:
Hi everyone! Does anybody know when UNESCO WHS would post the nomination texts and other documents on their website? Is it typically in February?

elsslots:
No, that will not be earlier than in May

"Following the Panel's meeting last week, IUCN will gather more information on a number of the sites proposed for listing in 2019. IUCN's recommendations will be released publicly by UNESCO's World Heritage Centre six to four weeks before to the Committee meeting (the two releases are expected on 20 May and 3 June)." IUCN

IUCN 2019 Nominations

Author Zoe
Registered
#300 | Posted: 2 Feb 2019 01:51 
Solivagant:
visiting three or four islands in this order: Crozet, Kerguelen, and Amsterdam before returning to Réunion. I

If they would throw in a side trip to the Heard and McDonald islands I would be in for sure, but seems like a waste to skip it if one is already in the vicinity.

Page  Page 20 of 22:  « Previous  1  ...  19  20  21  22  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions / 2019 WHC Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®