World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2019 WHC

Page  Page 18 of 30:  « Previous  1  ...  17  18  19  ...  29  30  Next »

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#256 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 10:29 

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#257 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 10:39 
2019 WHC (43)

Africa (1)
- Ancient Iron Metallurgy Sites (Burkina Faso)

Arab States (4)
- Dilmun Burial Mounds (Bahrain)
- Babylon (Iraq)
- The Historic Village of Rijal Almaa in Asir Region of Saudi Arabia (Saudi Arabia)
- Sharjah: the Gateway to the Trucial States (UAE)

Asia/Pacific (10)
- Budj Bim Cultural Landscape (Australia)
- Archaeological Ruins of Liangzhu City (China)
- Migratory Bird Sanctuaries along the Coast of Yellow Sea Bohai, Gulf of China (China)
- Jaipur City, Rajasthan (India)
- Ombilin Coal Mining Heritage of Sawahlunto (Indonesia)
- Hyrcanian Forests (Iran)
- Mozu-Furuichi Kofun Group: Mounded Tombs of Ancient Japan (Japan)
- Megalithic Jar Sites in Xiengkhuang – Plain of Jars (Laos)
- Bagan (Myanmar)
- Seowon, Korean Neo-Confucian Academies (Republic of Korea)

Europe (23)
- Sheki, The Khan's Palace (Azerbaijan)
- Natural and Cultural Heritage of the Ohrid region [extension] (Albania)
- Großglockner High Alpine Road (Austria)
- Frontiers of the Roman Empire – The Danube Limes (Austria, Germany, Hungary, Slovakia)
- Hoge Kempen Rural-Industrial Transition Landscape (Belgium)
- Erzgebirge / Krušnohoří Mining Region (Czechia, Germany)
- Landscape for Breeding and Training of Ceremonial Carriage Horses at Kladruby nad Labem (Czechia)
- The Normandy Landing Beaches, 1944 (France)
- The National Nature Reserve of French Southern Territories (France)
- The Alps of the Mediterranean (France, Italy, Monaco)
- Water Management System of Augsburg (Germany)
- Vatnajökull National Park - Dynamic nature of fire and ice (Iceland)
- Sila Forests Ecosystems (Italy)
- Krzemionki prehistoric striped flint mining region (Poland)
- Sanctuary of Bom Jesus do Monte in Braga (Portugal)
- Royal Building of Mafra – Palace, Basilica, Convent, Cerco Garden and Hunting Park (Tapada) (Portugal)
- Brâncusi Monumental Ensemble of Târgu Jiu (Romania)
- Monuments of Ancient Pskov (Russia)
- Risco Caido and the Sacred mountains of Gran Canaria Cultural Landscape (Spain)
- Priorat-Montsant-Siurana, Mediterranean Mosaic, Agricultural Cultural Landscape (Spain)
- Historic Guild Town of Mudurnu: Testimonies of Akhism (Turkey)
- Kızılırmak Delta Wetland and Bird Sanctuary (Turkey)
- Jodrell Bank Observatory (United Kingdom)

Latin America/Caribbean (3)
- Paraty Culture and Biodiversity (Brazil)
- Sunken City of Port Royal – A Relict and Continuing Cultural Landscape (Jamaica)
- Colonial Transisthmian Route of Panamá (Panama)

North America (2)
- Writing-on-Stone / Áísínai'p (Canada)
- Key Works of Modern Architecture by Frank Lloyd Wright (USA)

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#258 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 10:43 | Edited by: winterkjm 
I've visited (3) nominations up for inscription in 2019: Seowon (Korea), Mafra (Portugal), Frank Lloyd Wright (USA)

What's your count?

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#259 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 12:46 
2019 Sites I have seen

Inscribe:
- Jaipur City, Rajasthan (India): Nice, not great. Could have been served with an extension to Jantar Mantar.
- Megalithic Jar Sites in Xiengkhuang – Plain of Jars (Laos). Unique, but not stunning.
- Key Works of Modern Architecture by Frank Lloyd Wright (USA). Only seen the Guggenheim and they were renovating, but still great architect.
- Monuments of Ancient Pskov (Russia). Another Kreml, but well. Very Baltic in feeling. I enjoyed my visit. Better than Novgorod.

Do not inscribe:
- Colonial Transisthmian Route of Panamá (Panama). Duplicate nomination of Panama City and others. I see very little point in having these types of nominations.
- Water Management System of Augsburg (Germany). See my review. Nice city. Not that unique water management.
- Royal Building of Mafra – Palace, Basilica, Convent, Cerco Garden and Hunting Park (Tapada) (Portugal). See my review. Nothing spectacular.

Author elsslots
Admin
#260 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 14:00 
I've visited a whopping 15 of these! 2019 could become my year!

Author Colvin
Partaker
#261 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 20:14 | Edited by: Colvin 
It's a mere two for me, though there are plenty of sites on my to-see list someday. As for the two I've seen, I have little hope for the Normandy Beaches, but I'm really hoping this is the year for Frank Lloyd Wright. Thanks for the link to the other FLW article, winterkjm!

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#262 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 20:16 
I was very pleased with 3! If the FLW nomination make it, I'll be happy!

Author mrayers
Partaker
#263 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 23:30 
4 for me, possibly 5, but I'm not sure about Panama. This would be my best year for new inscriptions that I can remember. (Els is amazing!)

Author AJRC
Partaker
#264 | Posted: 22 Dec 2018 03:09 
OMG! None of the list!! :-(
I will take the list as an incentive to improve my travels for next year :-D

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#265 | Posted: 27 Dec 2018 15:06 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Really excited for the Frank Lloyd Wright nomination, the first link even includes one of my pictures. I actually just booked the 2-hour tour for Taliesin (East) in Spring Green ($56) and Robie House in Chicago ($18) for June. After these 2 visits, I will have visited 7 of 8 components, with only Fallingwater remaining.

I updated my sparse FLW review to include details about 5 of the 8 buildings.

https://www.archdaily.com/908517/8-buildings-by-frank-lloyd-wright-nominated-for-unes co-world-heritage-status

https://www.dezeen.com/2018/12/24/frank-lloyd-wright-buildings-re-nominated-world-her itage-list/

Author clyde
Partaker
#266 | Posted: 27 Dec 2018 16:35 
Visited 7 or 8 of these and mostly out of Europe. Would easily be able to visit 5-6 of the European ones by car. Would be my best year for sure.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#267 | Posted: 27 Dec 2018 20:08 
winterkjm

That's great that you'll get to Taliesin in June. I have that on my list to see when I catch up with a friend in Wisconsin this summer, too. Will you have any extra time on the East Coast when you head to DC this spring? If so, Fallingwater is not that far away, and is definitely worth the visit.

Of the eight components, I've only been to Fallingwater and Robie House, but have seen some of the exterior of Unity Temple (which was under construction the year I went). I also have toured Price Tower, but that was sadly dropped from the nomination. I'm really hoping for a FLW inscription this year.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#268 | Posted: 28 Dec 2018 11:08 | Edited by: winterkjm 
In the Spring, I'll be managing 25 of my 8th grade students on a DC tour. So, no excursions outside the planned itinerary! I'll make it to Fallingwater eventually. For someone born and raised in Wisconsin, I am pleased to see that the Southern part of the state may be on some world heritage travelers itinerary!

Author Colvin
Partaker
#269 | Posted: 28 Dec 2018 20:42 
Ah - managing the great American DC school trip: you are truly an American hero! :-) I can see how that would hinder plans for Frank Lloyd Wright, unless you can somehow slip the Pope-Leighey house onto your schedule. Hope you have fun with your class; I've seen many school groups around the Mall, monuments, and Smithsonian museums over the years when I've been downtown, and it really is a memorable experience for so many kids.

(And, yes, I hope Wisconsin does get to benefit from a World Heritage Site. It's a great state to visit, and not just for the lakes and cheese curds!)

Author Zoe
Partaker
#270 | Posted: 29 Dec 2018 04:12 
2019 has so many European sites I am surprised those based there haven't been to more before. Easy for you to catch up I suppose.

3 Arab + all 10 in Asia counting Iran already, both NA plus so many in Europe that would be around 28 new ones although still could manage Jodrell and Iceland before the meeting. I have high doubts for both mines, the horse breeding in Czechia, and Port Royal (as awesome as it would be), and nobody has talked about Normandy after that WW1 failure this year - surely they can't get that through?! I also think both Chinese and Portuguese ( the only church on the list) entries but will probably get by. Danube is an extension according to Els in her review but a forum discussion mentioned it being separate? That could mean 3 new ones for Germany. Plus I'm still surprise to see the US try this with their withdrawal from the organization, it keeps bouncing from one year to another but would be so happy to see the buildings get the honor they deserve.

Page  Page 18 of 30:  « Previous  1  ...  17  18  19  ...  29  30  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2019 WHC

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑