World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2015 WHC - Livestream

Page  Page 5 of 22:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  22  Next »

Author clyde
Partaker
#61 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:02 
elsslots
True. I myself was surprised to see that at the end of the presentation ICOMOS still proposed inscription under one criterion (5). Perhaps they want to win back some credibility by achieving state party support unlike what happened last year when ICOMOS recommendations were completely ignored

Author elsslots
Admin
#62 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:02 | Edited by: elsslots 
Now Singapore, then Baekje

Please stay awake, winterkjm!

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#63 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:03 
My vote for best inscription speech alongside the Jordan representative yesterday.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#64 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:06 | Edited by: winterkjm 
clyde:
Last year when ICOMOS recommendations were completely ignored

While the committee is overruling ICOMOS/IUCN fairly often during this session, it has always been (so far) to change deferrals to referrals. In 2014, and in some sessions before, there were several deferrals that were inscribed.

Author clyde
Partaker
#65 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:10 
ICOMOS recommends inscription of Singapore's first WHS

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#66 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:10 | Edited by: winterkjm 
elsslots:
Now Singapore, then Baekje
Please stay awake, winterkjm!

Els, its 2:08am here in LA, I have to wake up at 6:30am. At this point, it doesn't make much difference! In several hours Americans will be eating BBQ, watching parades, and enjoying fireworks. I watch videos about a UN convention in Bonn, Germany! Now I am determined to listen to the likely extensive congratulatory remarks by ALL 21 committee members. Happy for Singapore though!

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#67 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:13 
elsslots:
poem is about drinking of wine, an activity that I thought was forbidden in modern Iran

I didn't hear the quote but one of the most famous quotes from a Persian poet is "Drink wine. This is life eternal. This is all that youth will give you. It is the season for wine, roses and drunken friends. Be happy for this moment. This moment is your life."
― Omar Khayyám, رباعيات خيام

I am not quite sure how the current Iranian government reconciles such statements with their prohibition on Alcohol -perhaps this Wiki comment explains matters "Alcohol drinking is so widespread that Iranians are the third highest consumers of alcohol in Muslim-majority Middle Eastern countries, behind Lebanon and Turkey (in both of which it is legal to drink), with an annual per capita consumption of 1.02 Liters. Much of the alcoholic beverages consumed by Iranian citizens is smuggled from Iraqi Kurdistan into Iran."

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#68 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:18 | Edited by: winterkjm 
The Finland delegate spent several days (literally?) in the Botanical Garden of Singapore. Was he alone? Did he have food and water?

Author elsslots
Admin
#69 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:19 
winterkjm:
The Finland delegate spent several days (literally?) at the Botanical Garden in Singapore. Was he alone? Did he have food and water?

And later he even spent more hours looking at it via Google Street View!

Author clyde
Partaker
#70 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:20 
I think he wanted to say he spent a number of days in Singapore and has visited the botanical gardens. Just a slip of the tongue. He started his speech by "gratulating" Singapore ....

Author elsslots
Admin
#71 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:22 
It's a much visited WHS I can already see. Several of the committee members have been there. They didn't say that of Maymand

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#72 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:31 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Already 20 minutes of congratulatory comments. Did Turkey just say the WHC will be in Turkey next year? Or was it something else?

Author elsslots
Admin
#73 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:32 | Edited by: elsslots 
winterkjm:
WHC will be in Turkey next year

No, it was the World Expo in Antalya (2016)

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#74 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:37 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Quick calculation: Lets say 24 inscriptions this year, if you put 20 minutes of congratulatory remarks per inscription, thats 8 total hours!

Author clyde
Partaker
#75 | Posted: 4 Jul 2015 05:38 
Inscribed

Page  Page 5 of 22:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  ...  22  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2015 WHC - Livestream

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑