World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2017 WHC

Page  Page 16 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  Next »

Author vantcj1
Partaker
#226 | Posted: 23 Mar 2017 16:53 | Edited by: vantcj1 
Good afternoon from Costa Rica to everyone. As all of you, I follow these year's nominations (and am very passionate about them) and here are my bets

Historic city of Ahmadabad (India) - def- there is great heritage in the city, but the management and conservation issues must be addressed
Archaeological Site of Aphrodisias (Turkey) - ref- I do think that the Turkish quarry of Hellenic and Hellenistic sites is not far from being exhausted (no matter how many sites are on their TL), but I like this one
Arab Eclecticism - Foundation and evolution of an Architectural School in the city of As-Salt (1860-1925) (Jordan) - ref- There is room for Arab sites from the XIX century, but from the recent review I think it would not be such an impressive site, I had high hopes at the beginning
The Historic Perimeter of Asmara and its Modernist Architecture (Eritrea) - Ins-it is just something that must happen. It would fill a gap.
Bhitarkanika Conservation Area (India) - Ins- More great Indian natural sites are something great to add
Caves with the oldest Ice Age art (Germany) - Ins- may be associative, but what was found in them is extremely significative
Le complexe Parcs nationaux Arly-W (Burkina Faso, Benin) - Ins- it would strengthen a lot the W National Park site
Burial Ensembles of Dilmun and Tylos (Bahrain) - Def- very interesting, but very worrying on the grounds of conservation and encroachment
Kulangsu (China) - Ins- Interesting site on colonialism
The !Xam Khomani Heartland (South Africa) - Ins- South Africa generally conveys very well the OUV of their sites, and I usually favor cultural sites from indigenous cultures
Khor Dubai (UAE) - NI- I don't see OUV, and as an architect I think it is not possible to compare it with sites as Warsaw and Lübeck, which were painstakingly and carefully reconstructed...unlike this one
Kujataa – a subarctic farming landscape in Greenland (Denmark) - Ins- A cultural site in Greenland, that represent the meeting between the Greenlandic and Norse peoples, must be included
England's Lake District (UK) - Ins- Even from afar, one notices the relevance of such a place, besides, it has taken so much time for it to be inscribed. My favorite cultural site from this year.
Daurian Steppes (Daursky State Biosphere Reserve) (Russia, Mongolia) - Ref- Maybe most of the problems from its last nomination have been met
Mole National Park (Ghana) - Ref- I generally favor more African savanna parks, as long as they are well kept
The Naumburg Cathedral and the landscape of the rivers Saale and Unstrut an important dominion in the High Middle Ages (Germany) - Ref-Sorry, I like this one, especially for its uniqueness within the Gothic Cathedrals panorama
Okinoshima Island and Related Sites in Munakata Region (Japan) - Ins- it is just another angle among all the other Japanese religious sites
Orheiul Vechi Archaeological Landscape (Moldova) - Def- Sorry for Moldova, but it is hard to see OUV there
Parque Nacional Los Alerces (PNLA) (Argentina) - Ins- And many more Argentinian and Patagonian natural sites to come
Primeval Beech Forests (extension) - Def- I concur with the idea not the inscribe the Belgian planted site, but in general, it seems that the inscribed sites, represent a wide range of this type of forest
Qinghai Hoh Xil (China) - Ins- And many more Chinese natural sites to come, especially such a distinct one
Ruin of M'banza Kongo (Angola) - Ins- Sites from unrepresented African civilisations are more than welcomed (I am waiting for those Benin and Kumbi Saleh sites)
Groupe de Sambor Prei Kuk (Cambodia) - Ins- Pre-Angkorian is not already represented
Seoul City Wall (Republic of Korea) - ----
Sheki, the Khan's Palace (Azerbaijan) - Ins- from Els' review,
Parco Nazionale della Sila - Sila, gran bosco d'Italia (Italy) - NI- In my country, there are like 20-30 more interesting natural sites. If the idea is to inscribe something from Calabria, I would go for the Cattolica de Stilo
Strasbourg [extension, France] - Ins- It would enrich a lot the already inscribed site, but that would probably hinder Metz's efforts
The ensemble of former city building of Sviyazhsk (Russia) - Ref- now, with the more focused nomination
Talayotic Culture of Minorca (Spain) - Ins- I simply love it, and from reading about it, I am more enamored of such a varied group of prehistoric sites. Indeed, I think it would be the best site of the Balearic islands
Le site sacré de Tapu-tapu-âtea /Te Pô, vallée de Ô-po-ä (France) - Ins- Polynesian sites like these should be inscribed
Tarnowskie Gory Lead-Silver Mine and its Underground Water Management System (Poland) - Def- I would like to see it inscribed, though
Tehuacan-Cuicatlan Biosphere Reserve (Mexico) - Ins- Beyond reading the reviews, I think it would be a great natural site, very biodiverse
Valongo Wharf Archaeological Site (Brazil) - Def- I think it is important, but lacks a lot of integrity
Venetian Works of Defence (Montenegro, Croatia, Italy) - NI- However, I would like an eventual inscription for the 'Ideal City' of Palmanova
The Historical Structure of Yazd (Iran) - Ins- Iranian urban centers with this integrity are something that must be in the list.

Kind regards, everyone. On the following weeks, I will do a review for Corcovado national park-Isla del Caño after (finally) processing all the pictures that I took there. Spoiler alert: I have never seen so many different species in one place.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#227 | Posted: 24 Mar 2017 08:55 
nfmungard:
meltwaterfalls
Guys, I made a very uneducated guess. Point was for everyone to submit theirs :D Just take my list and mark yes/no ;)

Apologies if it seemed like a criticism of your view, that wasn't the intention. I was just putting forward a justification for it and the lack of reviews.

It is always tough to get tone across on internet forums, but basically treat everything I say as being a light hearted joke, and you will invariably be close to the mark on my intention :)

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#228 | Posted: 24 Mar 2017 09:09 | Edited by: nfmungard 
meltwaterfalls:
ogies if it seemed like a criticism of your view, that wasn't the intention. I was just putting forward a justification for it and the lack of reviews.

Lol. Seriously, no hurt feelings whatsoever.

Your justification of OUV was appreciated. You are still due to file you bet, though, for the remaining sites.

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#229 | Posted: 25 Mar 2017 13:53 
nfmungard:
Sheki, the Khan's Palace (Azerbaijan)
Unesco Decision: Inscribe
My Opinion: Inscribe. Els Review seems good.

vantcj1:
Sheki, the Khan's Palace (Azerbaijan) - Ins- from Els' review

I recently published my own review on 'Sheki, the Khan's Palace' based on my visit on October 2014. While I found Sheki lovely place and especially the Khan's Palace really worth of inscription, I'm still a bit sceptical about the chances.

Author Durian
Partaker
#230 | Posted: 28 Apr 2017 21:51 
Italy withdrew Sila NP

From IUCN website, Sila NP is already out of the nomination

https://www.iucn.org/theme/world-heritage/our-work/advisor-world-heritage/nominations

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#231 | Posted: 3 May 2017 05:39 
Durian:
Italy withdrew Sila NP

All three bets are right on this one :D

Author vantcj1
Partaker
#232 | Posted: 4 May 2017 13:58 
nfmungard:
All three bets are right on this one :D

I guess we are just days away from knowing the full Icomos and IUCN Assessments, as every other year. It is exciting.

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#233 | Posted: 4 May 2017 16:34 
vantcj1:
I guess we are just days away from knowing the full Icomos and IUCN Assessments, as every other year. It is exciting.

Yes, very exciting.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#234 | Posted: 5 May 2017 04:38 
I am assuming sometime around May 19th?

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#235 | Posted: 5 May 2017 21:10 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Okinoshima Island and Related Sites in Munakata Region (Japan) recommended for inscription. Thought ICOMOS did also recommend not including some components.

The preliminary review panel recommended four other sites of cultural heritage be dropped from Tokyo's proposal. Among them are ancient tombs on the northern tip of Japan's southwestern main island of Kyushu.

News Article
Japan Times

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#236 | Posted: 6 May 2017 10:41 
winterkjm:
Okinoshima Island and Related Sites in Munakata Region (Japan) recommended for inscription.

Another one: The community was right on this one (2/2 for all 3).

Author Durian
Partaker
#237 | Posted: 6 May 2017 20:18 | Edited by: Durian 
winterkjm:
Okinoshima Island and Related Sites in Munakata Region (Japan) recommended for inscription. Thought ICOMOS did also recommend not including some components.

This is a good news and a bad news for the same time. I checked the Japanese news, all the report is the same that only the island of Okinoshima will be inscribed for its archaeological value and the name of the site will change to Okinoshima, island of god. If only Okinoshima island is WHS, so no woman will be allowed to visit this site similar to Greece's Mouth Athos! ICOMOS does not care about the issue of discrimination at all. This news also hurt feeling of locals who worship Okinoshima god islands as a single spirit that located in 3 holy shrines, seperating inscription of the holy sites with only one shrine is an unacceptable for locals, as ICOMOS seem to be not care on cultural or local belief. Also in my opinion it will effect economic and tourism opportunities, if only inaccessible Island is incribed, how they can make profit!

From the news, Japanese government is ready to fight with ICOMOS and will lobby WHC to inscribe at least two more shrines on another island and the one on mainland Kyushu which are accesible by public, by using cultural link that locals considered the 3 shrines are one entity of Okinoshima god. This will repeat the Fujisan case that the Japanese insist to add Miho No Matsubara, a small pine peninsular to be a part of WHS.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#238 | Posted: 9 May 2017 23:21 
Venetian Works of Defence (Montenegro, Croatia, Italy)

Inscribe, but ICOMOS recommends eliminating 5 of the 11 components.

http://www.ecodibergamo.it/stories/bergamo-citta/mura-di-bergamo-patrimonio-unescopri mo-parere-positivo-il-verdetto-a-luglio_1235942_11/

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#239 | Posted: 9 May 2017 23:54 
Current Tally

Inscribe
- Venetian Works of Defence (Italy, Croatia, Montenegro) less components approved
- Okinoshima Island and Related Sites in Munakata Region (Japan) less components approved

Not Inscribe (status - withdrawn)
- Silla National Park (Italy)
- Hanyangdoseong, the Seoul City Wall (South Korea)

Author elsslots
Admin
#240 | Posted: 10 May 2017 00:21 
winterkjm:
Inscribe, but ICOMOS recommends eliminating 5 of the 11 components.

Inscribed would be: Bergamo, Palmanova, Peschiera del Garda (Italy), Zadar and Sibenik (Croatia), Kotor (multiple locations? in Montenegro)
Eliminated: 4 sites in Venice (Italy), Korcula (Croatia)

Page  Page 16 of 20:  « Previous  1  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2017 WHC

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑