World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2016 WHC

Page  Page 15 of 24:  « Previous  1  ...  14  15  16  ...  23  24  Next »

Author jonathanfr
Partaker
#211 | Posted: 20 Apr 2016 09:58 
elsslots
Thanks a lot !

Author david
Partaker
#212 | Posted: 21 Apr 2016 01:18 
Could you send the file to me as well please? Thank you

Author elsslots
Admin
#213 | Posted: 21 Apr 2016 08:46 
david:
Could you send the file to me as well please

Done!

Author david
Partaker
#214 | Posted: 21 Apr 2016 17:04 
Thanks!!!

Author Durian
Partaker
#215 | Posted: 30 Apr 2016 20:59 | Edited by: Durian 
The city of Taito where National Museum of Western Art is located (part of Le Corbusier nomination) just announced a winning bidder to organize celebration programs for WHS inscription! Maybe they already know the result?

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#216 | Posted: 14 May 2016 13:06 
Should I expect many of the documents for the 2016 WHC to be posted May 15th? Or might it come later based on the meeting being held in mid July?

Author elsslots
Admin
#217 | Posted: 14 May 2016 13:24 
winterkjm:
to be posted May 15th?

Thanks for the heads up, winterkjm! Last year it was May 15th indeed. But that was on a Friday. It's unlikely that they will be published on a Sunday.
Maybe later this week? The WHC indeed is held over a week later than last year, so the publication could be even later than the coming week.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#218 | Posted: 14 May 2016 14:13 
I am now fairly sure the documents will be posted May 27th. Looking at the last sessions, ICOMOS/IUCN evaluations and submitted nominations are posted 7 weeks before the start of the WHC.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#219 | Posted: 17 May 2016 12:27 
Le Corbusier nomination recommended for Inscription!

http://www.the-japan-news.com/news/article/0002953248

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#220 | Posted: 18 May 2016 05:10 
winterkjm:
Le Corbusier nomination recommended for Inscription!

Huzzah!!! Finally

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#221 | Posted: 19 May 2016 03:39 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Pampulha Modern Ensemble (Brazil) seemingly an official inscription. ICOMOS gave a "favorable" evaluation though expressed concerns about pollution and the Yacht Club.

http://hojeemdia.com.br/horizontes/unesco-dá-parecer-favorável-à-pampulha-se-torna r-patrimônio-mundial-1.385288

http://g1.globo.com/minas-gerais/noticia/2016/05/parecer-da-unesco-sobre-candidatura- do-conjunto-da-pampulha-e-entregue.html

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#222 | Posted: 19 May 2016 05:09 
meltwaterfalls:
Huzzah!!! Finally

While this adds one to my count, I don't share your enthusiasm about Le Corbusier's oeuvre. His popularity with architects reminds me of the emperor having no clothes...

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#223 | Posted: 19 May 2016 06:01 
winterkjm:
Pampulha Modern Ensemble (Brazil) seemingly an official inscription.

An even bigger Huzzah!! I really loved Pampulha, and the church of Sao Francisco was much more impressive than I thought it would be.

Come on Frank Lloyd Wright, just need you for the perfect hatrick for 20th Century architecture fans!

nfmungard:
I don't share your enthusiasm about Le Corbusier's oeuvre

I fully understand what you are saying on that, he actually isn't a particular favourite of mine. My first visit to one of his buildings (Maison Clarte in Geneva) is one of the most underwhelming visits I've had, and that may well become my first Swiss WHS as well. Villa Savoye however was actually really impressive for me, much more so than I had anticipated, and that is where my enthusiasm for this inscription comes from.

His importance probably can't be overstated, I don't think it is to hyperbolic to suggest he is probably the most influential architect since Palladio, and leCorbu's impact was much more international. Whether that importance is a good thing or a bad thing is a different matter, I spent a fair bit of my childhood in and one of Britain's most (in)famous leCorbusier inspired buildings the Tricorn Centre in Portsmouth, regarded by quite a few people as the ugliest building in the UK. Perhaps those grim Saturday mornings trudging around the dank market are what have made me a little wary of his big concrete constructions, though I am looking forward to visiting a few of them to put it to the test.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#224 | Posted: 19 May 2016 06:18 
https://blogofthecourtier.com/2011/08/25/leaks-crime-and-bad-taste-the-legacy-of-le-c orbusier/

Very nice blog post of the matter. How can you be a great architect if your houses fall apart instantly?

Those who fawn over Le Corbusier are often too ready to excuse or overlook the fact that he had no idea how to build something that would last, which is in fact why architects are consulted in the first place. Le Corbusier in his own lifetime had to incur the wrath of numerous clients for the fact that his buildings began to fall apart almost immediately after they were built, suffering from water damage, rust stains, cracked walls, crumbling facades, and so on.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#225 | Posted: 19 May 2016 09:44 
nfmungard:
Very nice blog post of the matter. How can you be a great architect if your houses fall apart instantly?

Frank Lloyd Wright sometimes has similar faults. While some of his buildings have stood up well, some have not. In part, its due to their willingness to use different (new techniques) and materials, no? Its interesting with FLW though, he had so many "forms' in which he re-invented himself over seven decades of architecture that several styles have been quite enduring (prairie-style, Usonian), while (concrete block) struggled with Southern California earthquakes and water damage. His idea of organic architecture has also been an enduring concept.

Page  Page 15 of 24:  « Previous  1  ...  14  15  16  ...  23  24  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2016 WHC

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑