World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2016 WHC

Page  Page 12 of 24:  « Previous  1  ...  11  12  13  ...  23  24  Next »

Author elsslots
Admin
#166 | Posted: 4 Feb 2016 09:10 | Edited by: elsslots 
winterkjm:
Christians Sites in Nagasaki (Japan) will be withdrawn.http://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2016/02/04/national/japan-withdraw-bid-wor ld-heritag e-listing-nagasaki-kumamoto-sites-sources/#.VrNVC1KRbww

Another case of difficulty getting the reasoning behind the multiple locations across, so it seems.

Author elsslots
Admin
#167 | Posted: 4 Feb 2016 09:25 | Edited by: elsslots 
Has anyone heard anything yet about how the Le Corbusier nomination was received?

I plan to visit one of the locations, Villa Savoye, this weekend.

Author Durian
Partaker
#168 | Posted: 4 Feb 2016 19:54 
winterkjm:
Christians Sites in Nagasaki (Japan) will be withdrawn

Just February, very quick move! Is this the result of new "preliminary screenings" process?

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#169 | Posted: 5 Feb 2016 01:24 

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#170 | Posted: 5 Feb 2016 01:29 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Nominations for 2016: 30
- Antigua Naval Dockyard and Related Archeological Sites (Antigua and Barbuda)
- Architecture of Le Corbusier (Argentina, France, Germany, Switzerland, India, Japan)
- Stećci - Medieval Tombstones (Bosnia, Croatia, Montenegro, Serbia)
- Pampulha Modern Ensemble (Brazil)
- Mistaken Point (Canada)
- Pimachiowin Aki (Canada)
- Massif de l'Ennedi: Paysage Naturel et Culturel (Chad)
- Zuojiang Huashan Rock Art Cultural Landscape (China)
- Hubei Shennongjia (China)
- Roman Urbanism of the Zadar Peninsula with the Monumental Complex on the Forum (Croatia)
- Chaine des Puys et faille de Limagne (France)
- Mining Cultural Landscape Erzgebirge/Krusnohoři (Germany, Czech Rep)
- Archaeological Site of Philippi (Greece)
- Excavated Remains at Nalanda Mahavihara (India)
- Kangchendzonga National Park (India)
- The Persian Qanat (Iran)
- Lut Desert (Iran)
- The Ahwar of Southern Iraq: refuge of biodiversity and the relict landscape of the Mesopotamian Cities (Iraq)
- Western Tien-Shan (Kazahkstan, Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan)
- Archipiélago de Revillagigedo (Mexico)
- Nan Madol: Ceremonial Center of the Eastern Micronesia (Micronesia)
- Historic Center of Cetinje (Montenegro)
- Seowon, Neo-Confucian Academies of the Joseon Dynasty (Republic of Korea)
- Antequera Dolmens Site (Spain)
- Phu Phrabat Historical Park (Thailand)
- Kaeng Krachan Forest Complex (Thailand)
- Ani Cultural Landscape (Turkey)
- Mountain Ecosystems of Koytendag (Turkmenistan)
- Gibraltar Neanderthal Caves and Environments (UK)
- Key Works of Modern Architecture by Frank Lloyd Wright (USA)

(3) Boundary Modifications
Archeological Site and Historic Centre of Panama City (Panama)
Western Caucasus (Russia)
Virgin Komi Forests (Russia)

Asia - 12
Europe - 10
Latin America - 3
North America - 3
Africa - 1
Arab States - 1

Cultural: 18
Natural: 8
Mixed: 4

WITHDRAWN
Francke Foundation Buildings (Germany)
Churches and Christian Sites in Nagasaki (Japan)

Observations:
- China will likely join Italy as the only country with 50 or more WHS
- Le Corbusier & Frank Lloyd Wright in the same year! Great year for 20th century architecture if inscribed.
- 1st nominations from Antigua/Barbuda and Micronesia
- Four Top 50 Missing sites (Nan Madol, FLW, Le Corbusier, Ur)
- 2016 will almost certainly have more natural inscriptions than any year since the 2008 & 2000 WHC.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#171 | Posted: 5 Feb 2016 04:16 
I haven't come across anything on the le Corbusier nomination yet. Though I did see that Francois Hollandes recent visit to India entailed a state visit to Chandigarh .

I would really recommend a visit to Villa Savoye. It is probably the most architecturally important/ influential residence built in the twentieth century, I would say in western architecture perhaps only la Rotunda by Palladio has had more influence. If you get a quick chance to read about le Corbusier's five points of modern architecture it may be useful as you can see the theory put into practice. Though they did a fairly good job of explaining that at the site when we visited.

I liked it much more than I thought I would, but I am rather fond of modernist architecture, even if le Corbu is not a particular favourite of mine.

Author hubert
Partaker
#172 | Posted: 5 Feb 2016 09:10 
elsslots:
Has anyone heard anything yet about how the Le Corbusier nomination was received?

I am also not aware of any news that would allow a prognosis for the decision.
I totally agree with meltwaterfalls on Villa Savoye and on Le Corbusier in general. I liked his work much more after I had visited some of the buildings. But it's a tricky nomination, the quality of the proposed sites is very different. So far, I've visited eight sites in France (I will write a review on the two Paris sites) and Stuttgart Weissenhof.
In addition to Villa Savoye, I would also include Notre-Dame-du-Haut (Ronchamp) and Unité d'Habitation in Marseille in the top category, and based on my visit, Sainte-Marie de la Tourette in Eveux. Chandigarh seems to be also at that level.

Author Durian
Partaker
#173 | Posted: 6 Feb 2016 05:21 
Report on Le Corbusier's Japan part.

The language is a bit weird even from Japanese standard, but my Japanese teacher read and concluded it is a good news!

http://www.yomiuri.co.jp/culture/20160205-OYT1T50149.html

Author elsslots
Admin
#174 | Posted: 6 Feb 2016 11:12 
Thanks, Durian. And I envy you for having a Japanese teacher!

Author paul
Partaker
#175 | Posted: 8 Feb 2016 05:44 
We will be in Istria in the spring and I am considering attempting the difficult process of persuading my wife to go the extra distance to Zadar.

Has anyone found any inside information? What are the current odds on an inscription?

Author pikkle
Partaker
#176 | Posted: 8 Feb 2016 12:33 
paul:
We will be in Istria in the spring and I am considering attempting the difficult process of persuading my wife to go the extra distance to Zadar.

Has anyone found any inside information? What are the current odds on an inscription?

I can't speak to the chances of inscription, but I think its definitely a city worth visiting. I know it's centered around another "episcopal complex," cathedral (as well as two other interesting churches) and some minor Roman ruins, but I think it's an interesting place with really fine architecture. As a centre of cultural interchange (Venetian, Dalmatian, Austrian, Slovene) it also rates.

Author elsslots
Admin
#177 | Posted: 9 Feb 2016 00:10 
paul:
extra distance to Zadar

Zadar is also part of the Venetian Defense Works nomination for 2017. So 2 chances in a row for them!

Author vantcj1
Partaker
#178 | Posted: 10 Feb 2016 15:50 | Edited by: vantcj1 
Hello, everyone, I completely agree with
hubert:
and based on my visit, Sainte-Marie de la Tourette in Eveux. Chandigarh seems to be also at that level

. The convent of La Tourette is another example of a first class building from Le Corbusier, suitable for the list. He based it from his visit, as a student, to the Certosa di Ema, near Florence, and his study of this monastic complex also helped him refine his residential projects, particularly on what is a basic residence unit. In La Tourette and the Unité in Marseille, he put this study into work. Also, it is architecturally magnificent, beautifully set on its landscape, and the chapel is a simply outstanding work of material and light.

I also agree that it is a very heterogeneous nomination, and therefore, was rejected years ago, who knows what will finally happen this year. I would also make a case for the Pavillion Suisse in the Universitary City, the Cité Refuge and the Roche-Jeanneret Villas, all of them in Paris, and which highlight principles that he later applied in his major works in the 1945-1965 era. But I have to confess that since I was an architecture student, I really began to love the architecture of Le Corbusier. Even to the point that here my university, the Alliance Française and the Jade Museum organized an exhibition on his works, when I visited it with a swiss friend, I explained it to her like if I was a scholar on his work. Even the exhibition keepers began to ask me questions.

Back to the WH, I can't avoid to think that even if just La Tourette, Ronchamp, Chandigarh, the Ville Savoye, and the Unité d'Habitation were to be inscribed, there is still one major work from he that is missing: the Villa Stein de Monzie, in Garches. It is from almost the same time of the Ville Savoie, and even Le Corbusier recognized its importance and put it au pair with his other most known villa. An interesting fact is that both villas had their internal and facades compositions based on two Palladio villas: respectively Villa Capra and Villa Foscari, an effect of Le Corbusier's deep admiration of Palladio.

I can't wait to April to find out what the final Icomos report says.

Author pikkle
Partaker
#179 | Posted: 11 Feb 2016 02:07 
vantcj1
Just wanted to thank you so much for this post. Your knowledge and admiration for Corbusier is so apparent. I have admired and studied academically many of his buildings - Ronchamp, Chandigarh, Villa Savoye, and the Unite in Marseille - but I don't ever feel a deep connection to this work. I think perhaps the reason for this is that I've never actually been in one of Le Corbusier's greatest spaces. I had an experience where I was quite skeptical of the Rietveld-Schroeder Huis in Utrecht, but upon visiting was enchanted - after all these are spaces meant for living.

Your comparison with Palladio (the fountainhead of most of my favorite architects and one of my personal favorites) really makes sense. La Capra, Foscari, and Pisano are my favorite Palladian villas and I believe that they, too, are spaces that one must experience to truly appreciate. While the Rotunda at Capra is iconic, I don't think one can really understand the beauty of Palladian and spatial architecture from photographs or sections and elevations.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for your excellent post and I hope these sites are inscribed as they are sorely missed.

Author elsslots
Admin
#180 | Posted: 11 Feb 2016 11:37 | Edited by: elsslots 
winterkjm
As our Korea expert: have you heard anything on the chances of the Seowon nomination yet?

Page  Page 12 of 24:  « Previous  1  ...  11  12  13  ...  23  24  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2016 WHC

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑