World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /  

2014 WHC

Page  Page 7 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  6  7  8  ...  12  13  Next »

Author Assif
Partaker
#91 | Posted: 5 May 2013 11:41 
Pergamon too is world class.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#92 | Posted: 7 May 2013 00:42 
I've noticed some nominations have evolved into altogether very different nominations.

Arrábida (Portugal) - Category MIXED CL (previously only Natural)

Mount Mulanje Cultural Landscape (Malawi) - Category CULTURAL CL (previously only Natural)

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#93 | Posted: 7 May 2013 01:32 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Qhapaq Nan, Andean Road System (149 Components!)

When inscribed this will be one of the largest serial sites.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#94 | Posted: 7 May 2013 04:50 | Edited by: Solivagant 
winterkjm:
Mount Mulanje Cultural Landscape (Malawi) - Category CULTURAL CL (previously only Natural)

see April post under 2015 WHC

Solivagant:
elsslots:
Mount Mulanje (Malawi), nomination file is ready and received by Unesco:

Interesting - the Mt Mulanje site has been on the T List since 2000 and is clearly described as a NATURAL site titled "Mulanje Mountain Biosphere Reserve" on the UNESCO Web site

Yet, according to the above link, it has been submitted as a Cultural Landscape (CL) with this comment "it is hoped that Mt Mulanje's attraction as a destination will be greatly diversified with an emphasis on the rich cultural heritage of the area."

So, yet another African site goes down the CL route. Obviously it has been thought that the endemic flora/fauna and the geology/micro-climate of the mountain are not enough by themselves -also the mountain has (and still is) been heavily logged. But I have failed to find much which might justify a CL - though, no doubt, a few sacred groves and rock paintings might be found - also there is a historical "Mission" aspect which could be utilised

It is certainly amazing how some sites will try every angle to get themselves inscribed!!

Author hubert
Partaker
#95 | Posted: 7 May 2013 14:59 | Edited by: hubert 
Indeed, a year with some exciting nominations.
I wonder why ICOMOS defines two corridors and recommends two separate nominations for the Silk Road.

http://whc.unesco.org/en/news/870

Are there any historical or scientific reasons for that? Or is it rather a problem of potential political conflicts between the state parties? In comparison, Qhapaq Nan is certainly just as extensive, but this is just one transnational nomination.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#96 | Posted: 7 May 2013 15:58 | Edited by: Solivagant 
hubert:
I wonder why ICOMOS defines two corridors and recommends two separate nominations for the Silk Road.

I think this subject is worth transferring across to the existing Silk Road thread where we already have already collected together some of the "history" of the Silk Road nomination(s).
http://www.worldheritagesite.org/forums/index.php?action=vthread&forum=8&topic=1512&p age=0
I have some further information on the "corridors" which I will post there. From the first post on that thread it will be seen that it has always been the intention to divide the totality of the Silk Road into geographical groups - it appears that this has progressed across the last 2 years!
Any other insights which forum members have about how the current situation has been reached would be of interest.

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#97 | Posted: 8 May 2013 01:01 
Solivagant:
Please read my recent review of Santiniketan on this Web Site. It lists the significant dates in the 2011 consideration of the site. You will see that India withdrew it from consideration VERY early (presumably when they knew what ICOMOS had concluded/written.)

No india withdraw after icmos decision not to inscribe it
therefore It has allotted some page

If India would have withdrawn it in beginning then no page would be allotted in evaluation (like many properties including qutb shahi)

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#98 | Posted: 8 May 2013 01:04 
KSTraveler:
What is the news on the renomination of Calakmul and Campeche? Is it on Mexico's tentative list?

KSTraveler:
What is the news on the renomination of Calakmul and Campeche? Is it on Mexico's tentative list?

any site can be renominated or reconsidered for other criteria
for this ,it is not required to include in tentative list
it is just like extending buffer zone

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#99 | Posted: 8 May 2013 02:06 | Edited by: Solivagant 
kkanekahn:
If India would have withdrawn it in beginning then no page would be allotted in evaluation (like many properties including qutb shahi)

I never said that a page number hadn't been assigned - I said that, because India had withdrawn the site "early" (i.e not during, at or just before the start of the WHC - which has often happened in the past with other withdrawals) AND because the papers for that year were not published early it was possible (and normal) for the Evaluation to be removed from the published file of AB evaluations (which obviously left the original page numbering in place if that file had already been created ready for publication and no one bothered to do a "renumber pages"). The "official" reasoning I guess is that the file of evaluations is intended to support the "Agenda" for the WHC - if a site is not to be considered by the WHC then there is no good reason for including its documents among the WHC papers! But I also suspect it is to avoid the reality being "unnecessarily" published if a States party doesn't want it!

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#100 | Posted: 8 May 2013 03:30 | Edited by: Solivagant 
kkanekahn:
any site can be renominated or reconsidered for other criteria
for this ,it is not required to include in tentative list
it is just like extending buffer zone

Actually this is an interesting "grey area" regarding the Operational Guidelines (OGs)! These state
"Significant modifications to the boundaries
165. If a State Party wishes to significantly modify the boundary of a property already on the World Heritage List, the State Party shall submit this proposal as if it were a new nomination. .........This provision applies to extensions, as well as reductions.
Modifications to the criteria used to justify inscription on the World Heritage List
166. Where a State Party wishes to have the property inscribed under additional, fewer or different criteria other than those used for the original inscription, it shall submit this request as if it were a new nomination."

A "New Nomination" of course must have been on a country's T List UNLESS it is being submitted under the "emergency procedure". So, logically, that requirement should apply to extensions and new criteria as well if, as stated in the OGs, they are to be treated as "new nominations".
Certainly many entries on the T List ARE for extensions - so many countries DO seem to believe that a significant extension must have been registered first on the T List.

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#101 | Posted: 9 May 2013 07:24 
Qhapaq Nan,silk road,grand canal are must watch

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#102 | Posted: 9 May 2013 09:00 | Edited by: kkanekahn 
Solivagant:
Certainly many entries on the T List ARE for extensions - so many countries DO seem to believe that a significant extension must have been registered first on the T List.

I had written that it is not required to be in tentative list if property wants to modify buffer zone which itself is minor modificcation of boundary

If state party want to extend the property(i.e. core zone) then it must be in tentative list.

Many properties extend their buffer zone(minor modification) without being in t list

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#103 | Posted: 9 May 2013 11:47 | Edited by: Solivagant 
kkanekahn:
I had written that it is not required to be in tentative list if property wants to modify buffer zone which itself is minor modificcation of boundary

But we are not talking here of a modification to the Buffer Zone are we??

KSTraveler's observation and question was
kkanekahn:
KSTraveler: What is the news on the renomination of Calakmul and Campeche? Is it on Mexico's tentative list?

And it was a reasonable question - The extension of Calakmul is described in UNESCO documentation as "Ancient Maya City and Protected Tropical Forests of Calakmul
(extension and renomination under natural criteria)
"

So, there are at least new criteria even if the inscribed boundaries stay the same. As per OG 166 this would seem to have required that the extension of the site to include new criteria should have been registered on Mexico's T List. Yet, as far as I (and KSTraveler) can see it hasn't been so registered.
This has been hanging around since at least 2008 as well - when Mexico's renomination/additional criteria for 2009 was noted as being "incomplete"

Author Assif
Partaker
#104 | Posted: 19 May 2013 17:45 
Does anyone know what has become of the following sites that were reported to candidate in 2014? Have they been postponed to 2015?

• Westhoek (Belgium)
• Svalbard (Norway)
• Hebron (Palestine)
• Wat Phra Mahathat Woramahawihan, Nakhon Si Thammarat (Thailand)
• Mardin Cultural Landscape (Turkey)
• Bagçesaray Palace of the Crimean Khans (Ukraine)

Author elsslots
Admin
#105 | Posted: 20 May 2013 01:26 
Assif:
Does anyone know what has become of the following sites that were reported to candidate in 2014? Have they been postponed to 2015?• Westhoek (Belgium)

I had a look at Westhoek, by searching for articles in Dutch (Flemish). There is no sign that a nomination dossier has been prepared. It was only discussed as an item for the anniversary of WWI - so it should be 2014 or 2018.

A nomination is being prepared though for the immaterial heritage list (2017 at the earliest). It would involve the Last Post-ceremony at Ypres:
http://www.westhoek.be/nieuws/2089/last-post-is-kandidaat-voor-werelderfgoedlijst

Page  Page 7 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  6  7  8  ...  12  13  Next » 
WHC Sessions www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHC Sessions /
 2014 WHC

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑