World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHS Top 200 www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHS Top 200 /  

Buddhist

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 23 Dec 2015 10:32 | Edited by: kkanekahn 
Khuft:
Longmen - Y - haven't been to any of the Chinese cave sites, but the photos of the Longmen one have amazed me the most

Yungang Grottoes are the best preserved sites in China with 53 caves containing over 51,000 stone carvings of Buddha and Buddhist. constructed between 460-525 AD during the Northern Wei dynasty.

There are over 2100 niches, more than 100,000 statues, some 40 pagodas built by Northern Wei Dynasty and Tang Dynasty style in Longman Grottos.

However, undoubtedly the best is Magao which represent entire Chinese Buddhist grotto style. It has largest, oldest and the best-preserved Buddhist grottoes.
Magao has 735 caves, with murals covering 45,000 square meters and colored clay statues 2,415 square meters. It began in the period of the Sixteen Kingdoms (about 366 A.D.), and the endeavor continued through the later dynasties, including the North Dynasty, Sui, Tang, Five Dynasties, Western Xia and Yuan.

Author elsslots
Admin
#17 | Posted: 23 Dec 2015 12:46 | Edited by: elsslots 
Trying to summarize this one:

Indian Subcontinent including SE Asia (12)
Ajanta Caves - impressive art, the fresco and rock craving are the masterpiece.
Bamiyan Valley -
Borobudur - iconic sight, one of the greatest Buddhist monuments in the world
Buddhist Vihara at Paharpur
Golden Temple of Dambulla
Kandy - major religious & pilgrimage site in Sri Lanka
Lumbini - birthplace of Buddha as well as spiritual place for several Eastern cultures
Mahabodhi Temple Complex - birthplace of Buddhism, the center of Buddhism pilgrimage
Sanchi - oldest Buddhist sanctuary in existence
Sigiriya - Sri Lanka's best site and quite unique in Asia
Takht-i-Bahi
Taxila - important archaeological site, ancient place of learning. major Gandharan site

East Asia (12)
Dazu - for its carvings & coming together of Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism
Haeinsa Temple
Hiraizumi
Horyu-ji Area
Kii Mountain
Longmen
Mogao Caves - "the largest, most richly endowed, and longest used treasure house of Buddhist art in the world"
Mount Emei
- Location of the first Buddhist Temple in China, and largest Buddha statue in the world
Mount Wutai
Potala Palace - represent Tibetan culture and very iconic
Bulguksa Temple - to represent the Far Eastern / Korean tradition in Buddhist art
Yungang - various styles of Chinese art development

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 23 Dec 2015 13:03 
elsslots:
Ajanta Caves

Ajanta got vote from everyone except one.
Same situation here. The list would be incomplete without Chinese Buddhist site. We have to choose one of 4 caves/grottoes. (maybe Magao)

Author elsslots
Admin
#19 | Posted: 23 Dec 2015 13:55 
kkanekahn:
Ajanta got vote from everyone except one.

I had a hard time counting this one. But fr4nc1sc4 and winterkjm did not choose it.
Borderline I guess. Maybe someone else can support it.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 23 Dec 2015 14:25 
Looking over Ajanta I will give my support. I did not vote against any Indian Buddhist sites, I just felt inadequate in selecting the most deserving. However, Ajanta does look incredible.

Author Assif
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 28 Jan 2016 16:44 
winterkjm:
Looking over Ajanta I will give my support.

An upgrade for Ajanta?

Author kkanekahn
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 01:41 
Ajanta is a clear shoo-in. However, I want to include a Chinese grotto also. By that, we can have better representation

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 01:56 | Edited by: Solivagant 
I see I haven't even voted on this category - simply a comment. I will try to do so today. Agree we need a Chinese grotto - but which!!?

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 06:00 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Have largely gone with Durian so have copied and pasted his as a basis. Have chosen 11 out of 24 - a bit above "average" but I think the category warrants it. In the end went for all 3 Chinese "grottos" - we have as many Gothic cathedrals and these cover an enormous range of time, place and style

Indian Subcontinent including SE Asia (6 yes out of 12)
-Ajanta Caves - YES, impressive art, the fresco and rock craving are the masterpiece.
-Bamiyan Valley - NO, famous for its Taliban destruction, few significant sights remain
-Borobudur - YES, one of the most iconic Buddhist monuments.
-Buddhist Vihara at Paharpur - NO, the vihara is one of the biggest but the style can be found in many ruins from Bangladesh to India.
-Golden Temple of Dambulla - NO, rock painting is very intricate, but for Sri Lankan Art better to represent by Polonnaruwa.
-Kandy - NO, the Temple of Tooth is maybe one of the most important site for pilgrimage but its architecture is still not the Sri Lankan's best.
-Lumbini - NO, Birthplace of the Lord Buddha, but almost nothing left.
-Mahabodhi Temple Complex - YES despite controversial architectecture - the birthplace of Buddhism, center of Buddhist pilgrimage .
-Sanchi – YES - one of the masterpieces of Indian art, important for Ashoka connection
-Sigiriya – YES – not really for its Buddhism but for its amazing location/conception
-Takht-i-Bahi - NO, overtaken by Taxila which has similar complexes plus additional value.
-Taxila – YES one of the most important sites for Buddhism education in the old time,

East Asia (5 yes out of 12)
-Dazu – YES (in case it doesn't get selelcted under "Indigenous" for its Taoism element
-Haeinsa Temple - NO, the temple is beautiful but the WHS is the storage for wooden blocks.
-Hiraizumi - NO, paradise gardens are beautiful but Japanese garden can be represented by more important site eg. Kyoto
-Horyu-ji Area - NO, oldest wooden temple does not mean beautiful or iconic.
-Kii Mountain - NO, Buddhist elements can be found in Kayasan and Yoshino, but Kyoto and Nara can represent this similar style.
-Longmen – YES - one of the best Chinese art during Tang Dynasty.
-Mogao Caves - YES a gem of the Silk Road, the paintings are one of the best in East Asia
-Mount Emei - NO, biggest Buddha in the world, sacred mountains similar to Mt Wutai.
-Mount Wutai - NO, another sacred mountain
-Potala Palace - YES, represent Tibetan culture and very iconic
-Bulguksa Temple - NO, one of the nicest temple in East Asia, its grotto is a masterpiece but very small compared to caves in China
-Yungang - YES, the only grottoes that show various styles of Chinese art development, the motif and still colorful.

Author Assif
Partaker
#25 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 07:18 
A new summary please, anyone?

Author elsslots
Admin
#26 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 07:32 
Assif:
A new summary please, anyone?

I'll do that

Author elsslots
Admin
#27 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 07:51 | Edited by: elsslots 
Indian Subcontinent including SE Asia (12)
Ajanta Caves - impressive art, the fresco and rock carving are the masterpiece.
Bamiyan Valley -
Borobudur - iconic sight, one of the greatest Buddhist monuments in the world
Buddhist Vihara at Paharpur
Golden Temple of Dambulla
Kandy - major religious & pilgrimage site in Sri Lanka
Lumbini - birthplace of Buddha as well as spiritual place for several Eastern cultures
Mahabodhi Temple Complex - birthplace of Buddhism, the center of Buddhism pilgrimage
Sanchi - oldest Buddhist sanctuary in existence, one of the masterpieces of Indian art, important for Ashoka connection
Sigiriya - Sri Lanka's best site and quite unique in Asia; for its amazing location/conception
Takht-i-Bahi
Taxila - important archaeological site, ancient place of learning. major Gandharan site

East Asia (12)
Dazu - for its carvings & coming together of Buddhism, Taoism, and Confucianism
Haeinsa Temple
Hiraizumi
Horyu-ji Area
Kii Mountain
Longmen - one of the best examples of Chinese art during Tang Dynasty.
Mogao Caves - gem of the Silk Road, "the largest, most richly endowed, and longest used treasure house of Buddhist art in the world"
Mount Emei - Location of the first Buddhist Temple in China, and largest Buddha statue in the world
Mount Wutai
Potala Palace - represent Tibetan culture and very iconic
Bulguksa Temple - to represent the Far Eastern / Korean tradition in Buddhist art
Yungang - the only grottoes that show various styles of Chinese art development

P.S.:
- I have "upgraded" Sigiriya a bit, this is the only category it is attached to now, so we should discuss it here (whether it's a palace/fortress or not)
- Dazu is seems to attract more attention here than it does than at the Indigenous religions topic. Also upgraded it, as I believe Durian is not against inclusion of the WHS itself but thinks it better belongs in a different category.

Author Durian
Partaker
#28 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 19:35 | Edited by: Durian 
elsslots:
- I have "upgraded" Sigiriya a bit, this is the only category it is attached to now, so we should discuss it here (whether it's a palace/fortress or not)
- Dazu is seems to attract more attention here than it does than at the Indigenous religions topic. Also upgraded it, as I believe Durian is not against inclusion of the WHS itself but thinks it better belongs in a different category.

For Sigiriya, it recieved higest vote in Archaeological site in South and SE Asia category. So whether it is here or not, for me the result is the same. For Dazu I am not against at all, also it recieve 5 votes, the higest among Chinese caves. Actually I am a bit surprised that Dazu which is not one of 4 great Buddhist rock caves of China, Longmen, Yungang, Mogao and Maijishan, got more vote. In my opinion If we have fusion religious category, Dazu will be the most suitable site.

Author elsslots
Admin
#29 | Posted: 30 Jan 2016 02:38 
elsslots:
Indian Subcontinent including SE Asia (12)Ajanta Caves - impressive art, the fresco and rock carving are the masterpiece. Bamiyan Valley - Borobudur - iconic sight, one of the greatest Buddhist monuments in the worldBuddhist Vihara at PaharpurGolden Temple of DambullaKandy - major religious & pilgrimage site in Sri LankaLumbini - birthplace of Buddha as well as spiritual place for several Eastern culturesMahabodhi Temple Complex - birthplace of Buddhism, the center of Buddhism pilgrimageSanchi - oldest Buddhist sanctuary in existence, one of the masterpieces of Indian art, important for Ashoka connection Sigiriya - Sri Lanka's best site and quite unique in Asia; for its amazing location/conceptionTakht-i-BahiTaxila - important archaeological site, ancient place of learning. major Gandharan site East Asia (12)Dazu - for its carvings & coming together of Buddhism, Taoism, and ConfucianismHaeinsa TempleHiraizumiHoryu-ji AreaKii Mountain Longmen - one of the best examples of Chinese art during Tang Dynasty.Mogao Caves - gem of the Silk Road, "the largest, most richly endowed, and longest used treasure house of Buddhist art in the world"Mount Emei - Location of the first Buddhist Temple in China, and largest Buddha statue in the worldMount WutaiPotala Palace - represent Tibetan culture and very iconicBulguksa Temple - to represent the Far Eastern / Korean tradition in Buddhist artYungang - the only grottoes that show various styles of Chinese art development

I'll bring this selection over to the main summary page at http://www.worldheritagesite.org/allbyrank.php

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
WHS Top 200 www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHS Top 200 /
 Buddhist

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑