World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHS Top 200 www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHS Top 200 /  

Islamic

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 04:06 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
I'm not really up on the virtues of Ardabil, but that would be the only inclusion I wouldn't fully support. But if others with better knowledge are convinced then I'm happy to go along.

I'm going to make a late plea for the Mineret of Jam. I know it is similar to Qutb Minar, but there is something so incredibly powerful about Jam and its remote and fragile nature. I would put it comfortably in my top 200 so would like to see it get on the ballot paper.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 05:17 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Solivagant:
-Selimiye Mosque - YES - Have visited -I really do not see how this 16th C masterpeice can be left out. "It was considered by Sinan to be his masterpiece and is one of the highest achievements of Islamic architecture." (Wiki). The equivalent of several European sites consisting of a single Cathedral which are getting in!

After hearing more selections and reasons, I thought I would make my selections.

Full Agreement with previous Posts

Selimiye Mosque (already counted)
Ardabil
Meidan Emam, Esfahan

In addition:
Qutb Minar and its Monuments, Delhi - "masterpiece of Indo-Muslim art"

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 05:33 | Edited by: Solivagant 
meltwaterfalls:
I would put it comfortably in my top 200 so would like to see it get on the ballot paper.

Well we haven't decided the "nature" of any voting yet but my "understanding" was that it would be a separate exercise albeit INFORMED by this first one which has, hopefully, extended the knowledge of all of us about the comparative value of WHS - many of which, I for one, was less well informed about when this exercise first started than I am now (even if my knowledge of some is still less than perhaps it should be)! The problem with just a straight vote would have been that people would inevitably vote for the sites they knew. But I would still hope that individuals could buck the trend if they wanted to!!

One possibility is that we would all be presented with the full list in 3 categories as determined in this "community exercise" from which to vote for the top 200 - Yes, Maybe and No. We could then record our individual views (if the previuos "Top 50 missing" is a basis we should get votes from many who didn't take part in this original exercise) - following the community conclusions or not. That way some "maybe" might get raised whilst some "Yes" might get downgraded! And possibly even some from "no" moved up to top??

Author Assif
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 07:17 
meltwaterfalls:
I'm going to make a late plea for the Mineret of Jam.

I will support Minaret of Jam.

Author elsslots
Admin
#20 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 08:26 
Solivagant:
One possibility is that we would all be presented with the full list in 3 categories as determined in this "community exercise" from which to vote for the top 200 - Yes, Maybe and No.

Yes, that's the plan. See also this overview that I have been building over the past weeks: http://www.worldheritagesite.org/startels/allbyrank.php

Voting will be done AFTER we have finished going through all categories.
I will make a larger appeal then among the members too.
Voting is by a checklist, just as with the regular WHS count.

Author Assif
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 18:45 
This one needs a new summary.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 23:42 
OK - I can summarize the results for this one, too. We had ten members voting in this section. Once again, I am counting Solivagant's maybe as a .5 vote. I am highlighting in bold the choices from 6-10 members (we could go 7-10, but there was pretty strong feeling for Selimiye Mosque and Kairouan), and italicizing the choices from 2-5 members. Here are the results:

Ardabil -- shrine of a prominent Sufi master; represents Sufism (5 votes)
Bagerhat
Divrigi -- Anatolian "Seljuk" mosque and hospital with fine carvings (2.5 votes)
Kairouan -- considered the fourth holiest city in Islam, and an important center of learning in North Africa in the 9th century (6 votes)
Masjed-e Jâme'
Mausoleum of Khoja Ahmed Yasawi -- resting place for one of the most prominent religious figures in the history of Sufism (2 votes)
Meidan Emam, Esfahan -- former royal square at the heart of a former capital of the Persian empire; representative Shia site with Safavid architecture (8 votes)
Minaret of Jam -- outstanding example of Islamic architecture in central Asia; beautiful brick and tile work (4 votes)
Qutb Minar -- example of Mughal architecture and symbol of Islam in India, tallest brick minaret in the world (7 votes)
Selimiye Mosque -- 16th century masterpiece of the architect Sinan, and one of the highest achievements of Islamic architecture (6 votes)
Soltaniyeh -- represents important stages in Islamic architecture for its dome/cupola (3 votes)

Author Colvin
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 29 Jan 2016 23:48 
meltwaterfalls:
I'm going to make a late plea for the Mineret of Jam. I know it is similar to Qutb Minar, but there is something so incredibly powerful about Jam and its remote and fragile nature. I would put it comfortably in my top 200 so would like to see it get on the ballot paper.

Incidentally, I preferred Minaret of Jam to Qutb Minar when looking at all the pictures I could find online of the two minarets, but I understand tastes differ. I appreciate the additional votes for Jam, though!

Author elsslots
Admin
#24 | Posted: 30 Jan 2016 02:48 
Colvin:
I can summarize the results for this one, too

I'll bring these over to the main page at http://www.worldheritagesite.org/allbyrank.php

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
WHS Top 200 www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHS Top 200 /
 Islamic

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑