World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHS Top 200 www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHS Top 200 /  

Christian: Cathedrals

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 8 Dec 2015 15:46 
Yeah I take your point on them being built as Catholic cathedrals, though they have been Protestant for a significant period and in the case of Canterbury a seat of significant power in the church. Though to be honest I wouldn't include either of them, just mentioned it incase others felt they were worth including for their Protestant associations.

As much as I have a fondness for Baltic brick cathedrals I don't think they are significant enough to need a separate inclusion, and like Khuft I'm guessing one Hanseatic town will be enough to represent them.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 13 Dec 2015 02:08 | Edited by: Colvin 
Here's the Religious structure, Christian category link for those who need it.

Solivagant:
Agree that Latin America is probably better represented via Cathedrals included in cities/towns likely to be included. in my understanding and experience Leon Cath isn't strong enough on its own.A point worth bearing in mind for all "individual building" WHS during this exercise I think!!

I've thought the same thing about this category. There are several iconic cathedrals--including some no longer in use--covered in other categories, such as Notre Dame de Paris, the Duomo of Florence, Moscow's Saint Basil's Cathedral, and Hagia Sophia in Istanbul. With that in mind, these are some of the cathedrals I'd choose:

1. Aachen Cathedral -- Charlemagne built and was buried in this German cathedral; also one of the first twelve inscribed World Heritage Sites
2. Canterbury -- seat of the spiritual head of the Church of England; also the site where Christianity was introduced to England
3. Chartres Cathedral -- incredibly beautiful Gothic-style cathedral in France
4. Cologne Cathedral -- iconic Gothic-style cathedral in Germany
5. Kiev -- Saint Sophia is a beautiful Eastern Orthodox cathedral with Byzantine art
6. Vatican City -- St. Peter's Basilica is apparently not technically a cathedral, since it is not the seat of a bishop, but it is an icon of Renaissance architecture and is known for its papal use; it is also one of the largest churches in the world
7. Piazza del Duomo -- I'm not voting for this because of the cathedral, but I am voting for this because of the impressive architecture of the Tower of Pisa and the Baptistry; this is the only category in which to recognize this site

Author elsslots
Admin
#18 | Posted: 19 Dec 2015 03:08 
Summarizing this one:

Aachen Cathedral - Perhaps the most important site for understanding the role of religion in European politics and culture. Also impressive architectural importance and longevity.
Amiens Cathedral - example of N. European Gothic
Assisi - best site to illustrate the veneration of saints, also impressive frescos
Bourges Cathedral
Burgos Cathedral
Canterbury - seat of the spiritual head of the Church of England; also the site where Christianity was introduced to England
Cathedral of St. James in Sibenik
Chartres Cathedral - incredibly beautiful Gothic-style cathedral in France
Cologne Cathedral - iconic Gothic-style cathedral in Germany
Durham Castle and Cathedral - example of Romanesque cathedral
Echmiatsin and Zvartnots - Oldest cathedral in the world, in the first country to formally adopt Christianity as national religion
Hildesheim Cathedral and Church
Kiev - Saint Sophia is a beautiful Eastern Orthodox cathedral with Byzantine art
León Cathedral
Modena
Notre-Dame Cathedral in Tournai
Piazza del Duomo (Pisa) - for the impressive architecture of the Tower of Pisa and the Baptistry
Reims
Roskilde Cathedral
Speyer Cathedral
Vatican City - St. Peter's Basilica is an icon of Renaissance architecture and is known for its papal use; also one of the largest churches in the world
Westminster

Author echwel
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 24 Dec 2015 13:21 
Not trying to be clever here but if I still can have a go I would strongly recommend Chartres to be included. It's the Notre Dame cathedral par excellence imo and would deserve to make it to the finals because of its importance as a pilgrimsite than and even now. It is widely considered to be the best gothic cathedral because of its proportions and symbolism. Read up about this site really does make you understand the church better, it's like everything is done with a certain meaning. The colours red and blue, the numbers 3, 4 and 5 and its geometrical forms triangle, square and pentagon, the ancient Greeks Pythagoras and Plato, labyrint, Holy Mary, Black Madonna, sacred geometry, freemasonry, druids, numerology and so on, they are all (according to myths and legends) connected to this architectural wonder. It might not be visibly striking its history and myths around it could match most other sites.

Maybe if we think about it long enough we could link the little green men as well on this gothic wonder.

Author pikkle
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 24 Dec 2015 13:44 
echwel

I don't see how someone could think it isn't visibly striking - even when one is ranking it with other Gothic cathedrals. It has some of the most complete and beautiful stained glass in the world and the portals of the west front and the north and south transepts are filled with wonderful sculpture that is exceedingly important. It is one of the most important works of architecture in the world. The early use of flying buttresses, the use a coherent visual iconography on the three facades and throughout the church, and the state of preservation was a model for High Gothic architecture.

Author echwel
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 24 Dec 2015 14:59 
Well I think visibly striking is a (peronal) matter of taste. Is Chartres cathedral more awe inspiring than all other gothic cathedrals in Europe? I don't know, it most definitely is looking fine but I don't rank it aesthetically higher than some other cathedrals. I liked the sculptures on the Reims cathedral better for example, was more impressed of the height of the one in Cologne and think the one in Siena is the best overall. And did I mention Seville's yet?

But I'll second most of what you said about its architectural aspects though. I do think it's architecturally and historically very important and all the myths it is encircled with just add up to its significance, hence I said gothic cathedral per excellence. It would make my top 200 anytime.

Author pikkle
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 24 Dec 2015 18:01 
Agreed, it isn't the most striking of ALL European cathedrals (though the glass may be) - but without the programmatic iconography (and I think this is of crucial importance as well as the state of preservation) that was perfected at Chartres, the architectural innovations, etc., the cathedrals and sculptural achievement of the later Gothic might not have been possible. Certainly the sculpture of the great cathedrals of Reims (only Chartres has more), Strasbourg, and Amiens are impressive. Cologne is probably the perfection of the Rayonnant (ironic for being in Germany). Seville's massive interior and the great works of art point to the final great achievement of Gothic architecture and the continuity of religious art. Siena (and non-UNESCO Orvieto), as well, is definitely up there.

So, obviously I'm a lover of ecclesiastic architecture (and maybe a bit biased in this category), but I think we agree that the importance of Chartres and its OUV is both tangible and intangible and certainly worthy of the top 200. It also has great importance in the history of education. Probably the most important precursor to the medieval universities.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
WHS Top 200 www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHS Top 200 /
 Christian: Cathedrals

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑