World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
WHS Top 200 www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHS Top 200 /  

Christian Pilgrimage routes/ monuments

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 3 Dec 2015 03:10 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Yes there are at least 2 separate threads here
A. Sites which represent the human "tendency" towards "pilgrimage"
B. Sites which represent pilgrimage for a specific religion/ set of beliefs

We certainly need to cover the former but I feel no need to try to ensure coverage of all, most of even many religions under the latter.

We face a similar issue with religious monuments/sites
A they represent a general human trait to build structures in response to religious belief
B they represent particular specific religious beliefs
C in so doing they represent certain architectural styles and capabilities across human history and cultures

Again - the first can be covered by the "best" from whatever religion. The latter can be assessed irrespective of the particular religion. The middle one (B) we need to be careful about - how many religions/sects etc are we going to try to represent? We need to cover those which are significant in numbers of adherents and across history but should not get dragged into trying to represent every one!
Regarding for instance what we call indigenous religions these will just have to be represented as a group and/or by any site(s) which are also architecturally significant.

Author elsslots
Admin
#17 | Posted: 3 Dec 2015 12:52 
Durian:
I don't want that when we go to Buddhism and we has no or less choice but to choose Japan Kii Mountains which is only a national level or Taishan for Taoism. WHS also really lack of sites with the Hajj in Saudi Arabia or great Hindu pilgrimage sites which seem more attractive for the little Green Man.

I don't fully understand your point, Durian. You are right that the WH list is low on non-Christian pilgrimage sites. But we have to make do with what's on the WH List. Kii Mountains and Taishan seem OK to me. For Hinduism we could choose Pashupatinath (Kathmandu) and the Chola Temples (see http://www.worldheritagesite.org/tags/tag984.html). We'll see when we get there (and have to remember to include pilgrimage sites).

Author Durian
Partaker
#18 | Posted: 3 Dec 2015 18:12 
Oh! I just noticed from the list of Hindu sites. Seem that we have a totally different idea of Hinduism pilgrimage route. In my understanding Hinduism pilgrimage route is "Yatra" which is similar to Routes of Santiago de Compostela. The temple, I consider as holy site or important temple.

Author elsslots
Admin
#19 | Posted: 4 Dec 2015 11:02 
Durian:
my understanding Hinduism pilgrimage route is "Yatra"

Ah! I think you've pointed out an important omission here. The Mt. Kailash pilgrimage would have been an excellent choice (no. 45 on our missing list). More examples here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yatra

Author Khuft
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 5 Dec 2015 12:10 
Bethlehem - N - although it's the birthplace of Jesus, Jerusalem contains the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and can thus also represent the foundation of Christianity
Luther Memorials - Y - representing the birth of Protestantism
Baptism Site "Bethany Beyond the Jordan" - N - a bit niche
Kalwaria Zebrzydowska - N - a bit niche
Routes of Santiago de Compostela (Spain) - Y - Catholic pilgrimage route that has been in use since the Middle Ages
Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France - N - Spanish section more representative

Author fr4nc1sc4
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 7 Dec 2015 01:19 
My selection:

Bethlehem
Baptism Site "Bethany Beyond the Jordan"
Routes of Santiago de Compostela (Spain)
Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France

Author elsslots
Admin
#22 | Posted: 9 Dec 2015 13:32 
Wrap up of this one:

Bethlehem - birthplace of Jesus
Luther Memorials - representing the birth of Protestantism
Baptism Site "Bethany Beyond the Jordan"
Kalwaria Zebrzydowska
Routes of Santiago de Compostela (Spain) - great example of a Catholic pilgrimage route that has been in use since the Middle Ages
Routes of Santiago de Compostela in France

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
WHS Top 200 www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / WHS Top 200 /
 Christian Pilgrimage routes/ monuments

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑