| Begin | Reply | Search |             Start | The List | Community | Blog
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Colombia

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 14 Apr 2019 09:46 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Zoe:
Decorated cave of Pont d'Arc has a replica ad thus doesn't meet the connection criteria anymore,

It does seem rather strange that our rules for this Connection state "WHS that are COMPLETELY closed to the general public, and where there are no replicas available. Sites with only parts closed off are not admittable.". I wonder why we did that? Presumably to avoid duplicating the "Replica Available" Connection?
If the real thing is "closed" then it is "closed" even if a replica is available. Vezere Valley wouldn't count of course as, although Lascaux is closed, other locations are open.

A better "definition" might be "WHS where a major element providing the OUV is closed to the general public". This would create a few more for the Connection (including Vezere and Kazanlak) - but the "purpose" isn't to be restrictive but to add information about the sites.

Author elsslots
Admin
#17 | Posted: 14 Apr 2019 09:49 
Zoe:
We can add Chiribiquete National Park and Natural Los Katíos National Park to the "Not Open to Tourists" connection, right?

I added Chiribiquete NP.
For Los Katios, you can take a boat on the Atrato River which bisects the park (not great but at least you are in the core zone).

Author elsslots
Admin
#18 | Posted: 14 Apr 2019 09:57 | Edited by: elsslots 
Solivagant:
A better "definition" might be "WHS where a major element providing the OUV is closed to the general public". This would create a few more for the Connection (including Vezere and Kazanlak) - but the "purpose" isn't to be restrictive but to add information about the sites.

I changed it. Have added Vezere as well but not Altamira (can be visited when you're a lucky winner & there are also other important inscribed caves within the network that are open).

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 4 Jun 2019 22:18 
nfmungard
nfmungard:
Does someone have an itinerary and time plan for Colombia based on public transport/planes/single day drivers?

nfmungard:
* How did you connect to Ecuador?

Sitting in Pasto now having just entered Colombia from Ecuador. The overland route and border are easy and safe enough if kind of long to get anywhere. We made if from Otavalo, Ecuador to Pasto in about 10.5 hours with all the bus changes, border formalities and a 2-hour detour to the Las Lajas Sanctuary just outside Ipiales.
I have a month here so looks like I'll get to update the reviews next :) I won't go out of my way for the TWHS and we will be more rushed in the north by the end.
Roughly planned itinerary using public transport (and always flexible) is:
1. Pasto to Popayan (6 hrs)
2. Popayan to San Agustin (5 hrs)
3. San Agustin WHS for a couple days
4. San Agustin to Tierradentro (long day, multiple changes)
5. Tierradentro WHS
6. Tierradentro to the coffee region (most likely stopping another night in Popayan en route to Salento) (stay a few days)
7. Coffee region to Medellin (or maybe a stop en route in Jardin or Salamina or both)
8. Flight Medellin to Bogota (domestic flights are cheap but watch the baggage and printing ticket fees)
9. Bogota (2 nights)
10. Bogota to Villa de Leyva (half day bus) (stay 2 nights?)
11. Villa de Leyva to San Gil/Barichara (half day bus) (stay 2 nights?)
12. San Gil to Mompox (looks like this is via Bucamaranga and overnight to El Banco to transfer to Mompox) (stay and recover a bit?)
13. Mompox to Cartagena (8 hrs) (stay whatever time we have left)
14. Flight from Cartagena to Panama

So this seems like the best routing based on south to north and no backtracking. Obviously it is slower than what most of you guys have planned but my flights are booked and I have company joining halfway through in Bogota so hopefully I've figured out how to kill the time right. I can try and let you know if any of it seems relevant to what you want to do to.

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 10 Jun 2019 08:35 
I've noticed a mistake on the site. A couple of links for San Agustin, Colombia in the news are actually for the San Agustin church in Manila and/or are no longer working.

Author elsslots
Admin
#21 | Posted: 11 Jun 2019 12:16 
watkinstravel:
I've noticed a mistake on the site. A couple of links for San Agustin, Colombia in the news are actually for the San Agustin church in Manila and/or are no longer working.

Fixed!

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Colombia

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑