World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Colombia

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 14 Apr 2019 09:46 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Zoe:
Decorated cave of Pont d'Arc has a replica ad thus doesn't meet the connection criteria anymore,

It does seem rather strange that our rules for this Connection state "WHS that are COMPLETELY closed to the general public, and where there are no replicas available. Sites with only parts closed off are not admittable.". I wonder why we did that? Presumably to avoid duplicating the "Replica Available" Connection?
If the real thing is "closed" then it is "closed" even if a replica is available. Vezere Valley wouldn't count of course as, although Lascaux is closed, other locations are open.

A better "definition" might be "WHS where a major element providing the OUV is closed to the general public". This would create a few more for the Connection (including Vezere and Kazanlak) - but the "purpose" isn't to be restrictive but to add information about the sites.

Author elsslots
Admin
#17 | Posted: 14 Apr 2019 09:49 
Zoe:
We can add Chiribiquete National Park and Natural Los Katíos National Park to the "Not Open to Tourists" connection, right?

I added Chiribiquete NP.
For Los Katios, you can take a boat on the Atrato River which bisects the park (not great but at least you are in the core zone).

Author elsslots
Admin
#18 | Posted: 14 Apr 2019 09:57 | Edited by: elsslots 
Solivagant:
A better "definition" might be "WHS where a major element providing the OUV is closed to the general public". This would create a few more for the Connection (including Vezere and Kazanlak) - but the "purpose" isn't to be restrictive but to add information about the sites.

I changed it. Have added Vezere as well but not Altamira (can be visited when you're a lucky winner & there are also other important inscribed caves within the network that are open).

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 4 Jun 2019 22:18 
nfmungard
nfmungard:
Does someone have an itinerary and time plan for Colombia based on public transport/planes/single day drivers?

nfmungard:
* How did you connect to Ecuador?

Sitting in Pasto now having just entered Colombia from Ecuador. The overland route and border are easy and safe enough if kind of long to get anywhere. We made if from Otavalo, Ecuador to Pasto in about 10.5 hours with all the bus changes, border formalities and a 2-hour detour to the Las Lajas Sanctuary just outside Ipiales.
I have a month here so looks like I'll get to update the reviews next :) I won't go out of my way for the TWHS and we will be more rushed in the north by the end.
Roughly planned itinerary using public transport (and always flexible) is:
1. Pasto to Popayan (6 hrs)
2. Popayan to San Agustin (5 hrs)
3. San Agustin WHS for a couple days
4. San Agustin to Tierradentro (long day, multiple changes)
5. Tierradentro WHS
6. Tierradentro to the coffee region (most likely stopping another night in Popayan en route to Salento) (stay a few days)
7. Coffee region to Medellin (or maybe a stop en route in Jardin or Salamina or both)
8. Flight Medellin to Bogota (domestic flights are cheap but watch the baggage and printing ticket fees)
9. Bogota (2 nights)
10. Bogota to Villa de Leyva (half day bus) (stay 2 nights?)
11. Villa de Leyva to San Gil/Barichara (half day bus) (stay 2 nights?)
12. San Gil to Mompox (looks like this is via Bucamaranga and overnight to El Banco to transfer to Mompox) (stay and recover a bit?)
13. Mompox to Cartagena (8 hrs) (stay whatever time we have left)
14. Flight from Cartagena to Panama

So this seems like the best routing based on south to north and no backtracking. Obviously it is slower than what most of you guys have planned but my flights are booked and I have company joining halfway through in Bogota so hopefully I've figured out how to kill the time right. I can try and let you know if any of it seems relevant to what you want to do to.

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 10 Jun 2019 08:35 
I've noticed a mistake on the site. A couple of links for San Agustin, Colombia in the news are actually for the San Agustin church in Manila and/or are no longer working.

Author elsslots
Admin
#21 | Posted: 11 Jun 2019 12:16 
watkinstravel:
I've noticed a mistake on the site. A couple of links for San Agustin, Colombia in the news are actually for the San Agustin church in Manila and/or are no longer working.

Fixed!

Author Zoe
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 8 Sep 2019 21:57 
Watkinstravel did you pull off that plan? Going from Tierradentro to the coffee areas wasn't as straight forward even with the rental car. Bad roads. The site itself also takes a looooong day and requires a lot of energy.to climb into all the caves.

Colombian sites also give you these cute passports as entry ticket that include maps, info for the site(s), very nifty. Wish I could collect it for all.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 9 Sep 2019 03:35 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Zoe:
Going from Tierradentro to the coffee areas wasn't as straight forward even with the rental car. Bad roads.

Which road did you take??
For our visit this Nov/Dec (DV), we have been told that the "shortest" distance route north from Tierradentro to the Coffee area via Route 37 is "very fine scenery" (it also passes several more of the Catholic Rite churches), BUT - is rough/"often closed" for rockfalls etc and that any decision to try it needs to be made "on the day" based on "local knowledge". I presume it will also depend on time of year (Rains etc).
That is presumably why a simple Google search to suggest a route from Tierradentro to Periera (for the Coffee area) first goes WEST almost to Popayan on Route 26 before going North on Route 25 and doesn't offer Route 37 as a first choice. That route is a nuisance of course if you have already reached Tierradentro from Popayan as it means doing the same road twice!!!!

From Tierradentro back out to Route 25 - the main N/S highway (Popayan to Periera) at Santander de Quilicahao, the alternatives are
a. 137kms/4.5 hrs via Route 37
b. 170kms/c4hrs via Route 26 going almost back to Popayan and then taking Route 25 north.
So - it looks well worth doing Route 37 if the road is open and the car is up to it!!!

Here are the 2 routes shown on Google Maps.

If you do a Wiki search on "Colombia Route 37" you will discover
a. It is listed in the Web site "Dangerous roads -the world's most spectacular roads". It is described as "The road is asphalted, but includes very narrow parts on sand/gravel sections". The page doesn't explain why, as well as being "spectacular", it might also be "dangerous"
b. A review from 2015 when the Colombian author found that the road was still the location for battles with FARC and turned back to take the other route!

Author Zoe
Partaker
#24 | Posted: 9 Sep 2019 09:28 
The 37 was closed at the pass Nevado del Huila and it probably would have busted my tires. 4h+ of rough gravel. You will see the last bit coming from La Plata is already extremely uncomfortable. The guides at Tierradentro said the 26 "has problems" but I risked it and it was okay, only 2½h of rough road. (It's 100km to the paved road) There were a few narrow patches and when a bus comes through it gets tight. Google did not even give me the road south of the 26 as alternative but I'm guessing it's not much better.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Colombia

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑