World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Malaysia

Author Zoe
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 11 Oct 2018 00:49 
Just wanted to say that while the Perak Man museum in Lenggong is not open there is a really small exhibition down the main road, with a sign only in Malay. It is free and you can see the bones plus some signs and there is parking. I drove past it but then I thought it could be something and kind of glad I did.

Author scleaver
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 11 Oct 2018 11:24 
Great to hear! That's the only site in Malaysia we haven't visited, and glad to know there is something that's possible to visit.

Author Durian
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 29 Sep 2022 03:12 | Edited by: Durian 
Masjid Kampung Laut

The relocation and restoration of Masjid Kampung Laut really sparked Malaysia Government to nominate this nation's oldest wooden mosque to be WHS. While its architectural and historical merits maybe unquestionable, its story of relocation and rebuilding make me doubt on its authenticity in the eyes of ICOMOS. I am not sure that Nara Document on Authenticity can be used in the context of relocation and rebuild or not. From our "Moved from location of original construction" Connection, only S Korea's Piram-seowon is comparable, but the Seowon has been relocated in 1971 which means 48 years before WHS inscription. With normal 50 years standard, ICOMOS seems to be OK with 2 years difference. But relocation of Kampung Laut just happened this year. Its nomination will be really interesting.

https://www.nst.com.my/news/nation/2022/04/787683/mosques-amazing-tales-tell

https://pnews.theedgemarkets.com/article/govt-supports-move-gazette-kampung-laut-mosque-unesco-world-heritage-site-%E2%80%94-ismail-sabri

Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Malaysia

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑