World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Iceland

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author elsslots
Admin
#16 | Posted: 23 Aug 2020 10:08 | Edited by: elsslots 
Today I returned from a very fulfilling trip to Iceland. I will put my 11-day itinerary here as an inspiration, maybe @Randi & Svein who visited 2 weeks before me could do also with theirs? It has similarities but also is slightly different. I used a 2WD rental car for my trip and completed the full circle on the Ring Road anticlockwise.

Day 1 - Flight Icelandair Amsterdam - Reykjavik. Overnight Reykjavik.
Day 2 - Full day in Reykjavik. Overnight Reykjavik.
Day 3 - Superjeep tour to Landmannalaugar/Fjallabak TWHS. Overnight Reykjavik
Day 4 - Vatnajökull WHS. Overnight Skaftafell.
Day 5 - Ingolfshofdi Puffin tour plus some more Vatnajökull. Overnight Skaftafell.
Day 6 - Long drive to Myvatn with a lunch stop in Djupivogur. Overnight Myvatn.
Day 7 - Full day around Lake Myvatn TWHS. Overnight Myvatn.
Day 8 - Whale watching at Husavik. Turf church Víðimýrarkirkja and turf farm Glaumbaer TWHS. Overnight Hvammstangi.
Day 9 - Thingvellir WHS and rest of Golden Circle (Geysir/Strokkur, Gulfoss), ferry to Westman Islands. Overnight Heimaey.
Day 10 - Surtsey WHS and Heimaey. Ferry back to the mainland. Overnight Keflavik.
Day 11 - Flight back home.

In hindsight, 11 days were pretty perfect. Everything between 10 and 14 days is good I think. With extra days, I would have liked another day at the Westman Islands and incorporate a sightseeing flight above the Vatnajökull icecap and glaciers. With less days, I'd consider skipping the east and northeast (everything between Jökulsarlon and Myvatn) as I found it the least interesting.

Of course I will add reviews of the WHS and TWHS in the coming weeks. More detailed day-to-day reports can be found on my Dutch language website: https://elsslots.wordpress.com/category/reisverslag-ijsland-2020/?order=asc .

Author Colvin
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 23 Aug 2020 14:06 
That looks like an awesome itinerary — thanks for sharing! I'd certainly be interested in seeing how similar or different Randi and Svein's itinerary was if they'd like to share it. The reviews and blog entries are certainly convincing me that I need to visit Iceland sometime in summer!

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Iceland

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑