World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

| Forums | Reply | Search |             Start | The List | Community | Blog
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

Brazil

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#1 | Posted: 4 Apr 2018 05:48 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
As we don't have a country topic for Brazil yet I thought I would start one after I just stumbled across this website imagineRio with maps showing the development of Rio Through time.

Particularly interesting when tracking the rather limited areas of the urban environment that are included in the WHS core zone, which is mostly limited to Urca, tucked up under Sugar Loaf Mountain and the sweep of the Guanabara waterfront. The opening up of access to Copacabana and Ipenema with the construction of Ladeira da leme in 1871, it is very interesting seeing how infrastructure leads to development especially in such a unique physical environment such as Rio.

One thing I found really interesting is seeing Valongo Wharf in its original waterfront context (from 1810 onwards), the embedded images (Cones of Vision) also show this areas main function as a slave trading quarter.

It is also good to see the appearances of various T-list sites through time:
São Bento in 1590

São João Fortress (Part of the Brazilian Fortress Ensemble) a rudimentary structure appearing as early as 1565, expanded in 1618 and redeveloped and expanded in 1872
On this does anyone know why Copacabana Fort has been excluded from the proposal? it would seem logical to include it as the proposal relates to the development of coastal defence over a four hundred year period.

Palace of Culture: formerly Ministry of Education Health which turns up here in 1937

Sítio Roberto Burle Marx, from 1949 onwards

And not a t-list site (yet) this place is a pretty important addition in 1949.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#2 | Posted: 3 Nov 2018 14:35 
Looking at Brazil's planned world heritage nominations. Based on the 2 articles below, this seems the order we can expect, no?

Lençóis Maranhenses National Park (2020)
Sítio Roberto Burle Marx (2021)
Brazilian Fortresses Ensemble (2022)

https://catracalivre.com.br/viagem-livre/parque-dos-lencois-maranhenses-e-candidato-a -patrimonio-mundial/

https://oglobo.globo.com/sociedade/brasil-integra-comite-da-unesco-que-analisa-patrim onios-mundiais-22800287

Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / Brazil Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®