World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Portugal

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author Parsons
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 21 Oct 2019 07:56 
I was in Portugal for a week in January this year. The weather completely ruined Sintra and made Lisbon a bit dreary, but the centre and north of the country had blue skies the entire time.

Due to the lack of public transport options and my obstinate refusal to pay for a cab, my daytrip from Leiria to Alcobaca and Batalha ended up involving a 13km walk along roads and through a forest. An organised trip seems a lot more practical.

I visited the Alto Douro by catching a train to Pocinho from Porto and back in a day. The weather was very nice, so the views were clear and impressive (but not spectacular). On a rainy day I expect this trip to be utterly miserable and entirely pointless. All the actual grapevines were bare of leaves, but the grass and olive trees meant the valley was still very green. My original plan was to get off at Pinhao but I enjoyed the ride enough (and don't care about vineyards) to instead choose to spend basically the entire day on the train. In retrospect, it was pretty frustrating to be so close to the Coa Valley with no transport opportunities to actually visit it. Even with a taxi from Pocinho the tour times did not line up with the train schedule.

Author carlosarion
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 21 Oct 2019 10:03 
Zos:
I am planning a 10 day trip Portugal in end of Jan 2020. I will just use public transport and would like to optimise my trip to see most sites in Portuguese Mainland.

Hi Zos, I am also planning to go to Portigal too after Christmas in Spain. If everything goes according to plan (getting the visa on time and having my buddies from Lisbon around), I can help by updating this thread, especially about traveling during the winter season.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Portugal

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑