World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Mexico

Page  Page 6 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#76 | Posted: 23 Oct 2021 12:52 | Edited by: winterkjm 
If you fly to Phoenix, you can visit Frank Lloyd Wright's Taliesin West and then drive the 4 hours to Puerto Penasco via the Lukeville Border Crossing (not busy). Its best to visit El Pinacate from the North. At the 52 km mark on the HWY is a 76 km NON-paved loop road (dirt) that leads to some of the reserves massive craters (3 in total). The dirt road is maintained and passable to cars (though rough), but it does take at least 3-4 hours with stops. The visitor center is accessed at the 72 km mark on the HWY and is well-displayed by large signs. You won't miss it. The turn-off is a paved 7 km road that ends with one of the most scenic areas of the reserve.

For more details see my double review of this WHS

I would suggest a 3-4 day trip that begins with Phoenix to Puerto Penasco and then Puerto Penasco back to Phoenix. After returning to Phoenix fly to Tijuana and then to Loreto. I am seeing Volaris flights as low as $300. Phoenix - Tijuana - Loreto (one-way). From Loreto its about a 5 hour drive to El Vizcaíno Biosphere Reserve. Don't try to do El Pinacate all in one day. Best visit the craters on the first day and when returning North to the US check out the visitor center/lava fields/sand dunes.

Author elsslots
Admin
#77 | Posted: 23 Oct 2021 13:47 
winterkjm:
If you fly to Phoenix

The thing is, I am doing this as part of a Grand Mexico Trip. So I am coming from Mexico City. The US would be a huge detour and I'd need a visa.

Tijuana does connect with Loreto indeed. But to get back to the Mexican "mainland", I'd need a different departure city.
As far as I have researched now, I am even considering doing it in 2 segments: (1) Mex City - Mexicali and then the El Pinacate WHS; then a few weeks traveling around Mexico, and when I end up in Mexico City again, (2) Mex City - La Paz, rent a car there and drive to Loreto (for Gulf of California WHS) and San Ignacio (for El Vizcaino WHS and Sierra de Francisco Rock Paintings WHS). But it is all very cumbersome and costly.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#78 | Posted: 23 Oct 2021 16:06 | Edited by: winterkjm 
You can visit Isla San Jorge (or Bird Island) from Puerto Penasco, which is part of the Gulf of California WHS. Tours are easily booked. The maps included here show other sites that one might not immediately think of (several places are included that are not in Baja California or Baja California Sur). You could focus on Mexico (except Baja California) and only miss 3 WHS in the whole country. Based on your previous trips, I understand you like to go big! Good luck and I am excited to see what your trip actually entails.

Whale Sanctuary of El Vizcaino (1993)
Rock Paintings of the Sierra de San Francisco (1993)
Archipiélago de Revillagigedo (2016)

Author elsslots
Admin
#79 | Posted: 23 Oct 2021 23:49 
Thanks for the encouragement winterkjm! I will post my full itinerary when I have it all figured out, the plan is to leave January 10. Unfortunately, I will be missing Archipiélago de Revillagigedo as well (forever, I guess, unless I take up diving).

Regarding
winterkjm:
Isla San Jorge (or Bird Island) from Puerto Penasco

: I was a bit doubtful whether it is in the core zone. It depends on how you interpret the map: there are islands colored in green (which definitely are the focus areas) and there are the borders of the much larger nature reserves (where Bird Island falls into). See https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Upper-Gulf-of-California-and-Colorado-River-Delta-Biosphere-Reserve-including-the-core_fig1_301600285. But from looking at the size of this component (Upper Gulf of & Colorado River Delta Biosphere Reserve) as stated in the IUCN file - 454,591 ha of marine area - it seems that all is included. Also, it seems logical that if you want to protect the vaquitas, you need a large marine component and not just islands. In that case, the zone just extends to the coast west of Puerto Penasco and will include Bird Island.

Bahia Loreto may be another relatively easy one to cover the Gulf of California WHS (from Loreto). If I do not make it to Baja California, I will "do" Islas Marietas from Puerto Vallarta for this tick.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#80 | Posted: 26 Oct 2021 10:37 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
elsslots:
I was a bit doubtful whether it is in the core zone. It depends on how you interpret the map:

I remember when we were looking at visiting the road from Mexicali to Puerto Peñasco (route 3) is actually in the core zone. For me that would have been enough to qualify a visit.
Though I will readily admit this would just be me in ticking mode, rather than getting the best out of a site, when it comes to natural sites I am a bit of a philistine and only really enjoy the ones with a spectacular wow moment, migratory/ birding sites are wasted on me I'm afraid.

There is an interactive map of the area here if it is of use in planning.

Or this one has all the Mexican protected area boundaries, showing that the Gulf of California and el Pinacate are contiguous, so if you drive from Puerto Penacaso to Mexicali you will always be in one of them

Author elsslots
Admin
#81 | Posted: 26 Oct 2021 11:20 
Thanks meltwaterfalls. Feeling more confident about that one.

I also have an update on one of my own questions:
elsslots:
Who has visited these 3 in one trip and can share the itinerary used?

It is possible to do all 3 by public bus, and just fly in and out from/to Mex City once.
For example: Hermosillo - Puerto Penasco (for El Pinacate WHS and optional Gulf of California WHS) - Ensenada - San Ignacio (for El Vizcaino WHS and Sierra Rock Paintings WHS) - Loreto (2nd option Gulf of California WHS) - La Paz. These are looong bus rides of course, but there are regular daily services and in reasonable comfort. For 3 out of the 4 WHS you'd have to join a tour anyway, so no point having a car parked somewhere. For the 4th one (El Pinacate) you'd have to succumb to a tour as well in that case.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#82 | Posted: 3 Dec 2021 09:42 
I finished typing up my review for the Gulf of California WHS. It may have some useful information for you Els, as there are few other reviews. Water temperature at the end of November was 74 degrees (23 C), which was perfect (no need for wetsuit). This temperature will decrease some in December and January. La Paz, paired with Loretto might be a worthwhile area of focus for this WHS. I hope to return to visit other components.

Author elsslots
Admin
#83 | Posted: 3 Dec 2021 10:01 
winterkjm:
I finished typing up my review for the Gulf of California WHS. It may have some useful information for you Els,

Thanks winterkjm. I saw it this morning. There are a lot of WH people travelling in Mexico at the moment or the near future, there's a whole batch of reviews already scheduled to be published in December. I planned yours for Christmas Day - a special spot for a WHS that barely has been reviewed so far.

Page  Page 6 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Mexico

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑