World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Uzbekistan

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author paul
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 18 Oct 2016 08:11 
Independent travel in Uzbekistan is very easy, the trains - especially the night trains are great and very cheap and shared taxis are also really easy to arrange.

If you can arrange it a 5 day Turkmenistan transit visa will enable you to move independently without a guide using public transport. This is possible I met 2 young Austrian girls with one in September.

Author clyde
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 23 Oct 2016 08:20 
Seems quite straightforward to get a visa/official invitation for Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan if you contact any of the official companies to organise a private driver and accomodation. Will have to wait and see.

Author elsslots
Admin
#18 | Posted: 23 Oct 2016 13:14 
clyde:
Kazakhstan

Ah, I see that the current visa free regime for the Expo 2017 does not extend to Maltese! Sorry for you.

I am planning for Kazakhstan (and Kyrgyzstan) for next year as well. Will open a separate topic for that. as not to spoil this one about Uzbekistan which is an entirely different country. A great one, in my experience. Bukhara ranks among my all time favourite WHS.

Author clyde
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 23 Oct 2016 17:21 
Not really a problem. Might as well get a visa for all 3 countries from the same company. I was always looking into getting a car + driver especially to help with border crossings. Kazakhstan came as later addition when I saw the recent review of Turkestan :) It also makes sense to leave Kyrgyzstan and Tajikistan for a future trekking trip while Turkestan fits in well with this cultural trip :)

My primary focus will be Uzbekistan though with 3-4 days in each of Samarkand, Bukhara and Khiva. Will be glad to let the tour companies settle my visas while I'll be busy travelling soon and preparing for my next trip before the Stans.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 6 Dec 2016 11:08 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Oh it looks like a bit of a shake up in visa free travel to Uzbekistan:

Complete abolition from 1 April 2017 the visa regime for tourists from 15 countries, including Australia, Austria, Great Britain, Germany, Denmark, Spain, Italy, Canada, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, the Republic of Korea, Singapore, Finland, Switzerland and Japan.
As well as for tourists from 12 countries under the age of 55 years, including Belgium, Indonesia, China (a part of tourist groups), Malaysia, the USA, France, Vietnam, Israel, Poland, Hungary, Portugal and the Czech Republic. Visa-free regime will apply to foreign citizens arriving to the Republic for tourist purposes for a period not exceeding 30 days

Or this source in English which seems to have it that the restriction is lifted for those over rather than under 55 (an odd stipulation to me). My Russian isn't good enough (mostly non-existant) to know which is the correct translation.

Again no direct mention of Malta, but perhaps it may be on of the other countries not listed.

And still even if it is selective and with a weird age caveat it is still promising news that travel is opening up in the area, I look forward to the Guardian travel section on it in January and the follow up one one in March 2020 decrying how it has lost its soul to tourism.

Author clyde
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 7 Dec 2016 04:36 
Since I need an invitation letter for Turkmenistan and Kazakhstan, I asked for one in Uzbekistan too just in case. The same agency will organize a private driver for us while in the Stans :)

Author wojtek
Partaker
#22 | Posted: 7 Dec 2016 07:09 
meltwaterfalls:
Or this source in English which seems to have it that the restriction is lifted for those over rather than under 55 (an odd stipulation to me). My Russian isn't good enough (mostly non-existant) to know which is the correct translation.

Yes, the changes are for tourists older than 55, and only those travelling in organised groups. But they want to significantly simplify the visa process next year and introduce e-visa. Anyway, after the change of visa regime to Kazakhstan, the only difficult country in the region will be Turkmenistan (and even there we may hope it wil change in the next years).

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#23 | Posted: 8 Dec 2016 07:26 
Thanks for clarifying wojtek.

Whilst it doesn't change things for me it looks positive that visa regimes in the area are liberalising.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Uzbekistan

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑