for World Heritage Travellers

| Begin | Reply | Search |             Start | The List | Community | Blog
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Iran

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4

Author Zoe
Partaker
#46 | Posted: 13 Nov 2018 08:12 
Did you exchange money on the go and is it easy to do, do hotels accept foreign currency in the current inflation?

Author wojtek
Partaker
#47 | Posted: 13 Nov 2018 08:41 
I exchanged money in big cities, there is usually (at least) one street in the center where you can do it. Airport exchange offers very good rates too. I found it difficult to exchange in smaller towns (banks don't do it) so I always kept some rials with me. Hotels usually don't accept foreign currency and if they do, the rate is rather bad, e.g. once they offered me 110k for euro, where the standard rate was 150k.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#48 | Posted: 25 Dec 2018 02:06 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Anyone understand the meaning of this article? It sounds like the (previously) separate TWHS Masouleh and Hyrcanian Forest have been combined into one mixed nomination? The later we have submitted for 2019 under criteria (ix)(x), no cultural criteria. What does this mean for 2020, do we still expect the Trans-Iranian Railway to be Iran's nomination?

https://www.tehrantimes.com/news/431043/Single-UNESCO-dossier-compiled-for-Masouleh-H yrcanian-Forest

Author elsslots
Admin
#49 | Posted: 25 Dec 2018 09:14 
winterkjm:
It sounds like the (previously) separate TWHS Masouleh and Hyrcanian Forest have been combined into one mixed nomination?

It looks that way, although one could also read it that Masouleh would be promoted during the Hyrcanian forest nomination.
I do not see how these 2 could be combined, although they are geographically not that far apart. The official list for 2019 only lists it as a natural site as well, so this move would be unlikely.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#50 | Posted: 28 Dec 2018 05:15 
Continuing the conversation about the caranvanserais here, Paul, do you think this T entry of Ghaznavi- Seljukian Axis in Khorasan is actually part of thoverall list? I should be visiting Sang Bast on my journey.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tomschutyser/1368289991

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#51 | Posted: 28 Dec 2018 10:29 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Zoe:
Paul, do you think this T entry of Ghaznavi- Seljukian Axis in Khorasan is actually part of the overall list?

I am not sure I can add anything new about this. I have done a bit of investigation and the situation appears to be that we have 2 partially (but not "Totally") overlapping T List entries
a. "Ghaznavi-Seljukian Axis in Khorasan"
i. Added to T List in 2007
ii. Consisting of 4 locations which seem to consist of 2 Caravanserai and 2 Mausolea – but are "badly" described in the [UNESCO T List entry - http://whc.unesco.org/en/tentativelists/5211 - which commences "There exist numerous caravanserais in Silk Route..." implying that ALL of the locations are Caravanserai when they are NOT!!
iii. All are claimed to be linked to the state of Khorasan across the Ghaznavid/Seljuk periods (963-1167 and 1037 -1194)
iv. The 2 caravanserai are also listed in the 2nd T List site – "Persian Caravanserai"
v. The first Mausoleum is - the "Baba Loghman Mausoleum, Sarakhs". Wiki says "built in 1356". But elsewhere - "A part of the main building can be relative to the Saljuqi era and the remaining section dates back to the 8th century AH. The internal section of the building has inscriptions (moulded with plaster) dating to 757 AH" So – it appears that there is a Seljuk part even though most of the structure does date to 1356 (757 AH = 1356-1357 AD)
vi. The 2nd Mausoleum is the "Arslan Jadhib Mausoleum, Sangbast". Stated in several places to have been built 997 – 1028 - so "of the period" OK

b. "The Persian Caravanserai"
i. Added 2017
ii. Consisting of 25, 27 or 31 (?) "Caravanserai" of different periods in various parts of Iran – but concentrated on the pilgrimage/trade route to between Merv, Mashad and Nishapur
iii. 2 of the caravanserai are also included in the "Ghaznavi-Seljukian Axis in Khorasan" – Ribat Al-Sharif built 1114 and Robat Mahi - "built in 1019-1020 by Sultan Gazneli Mahmut in memory of Firdwasi, the author of the Persian epic, the Shahname".

So all of the buildings in the Ghaznavi- Seljukian Axis in Khorasan T List description have some connection to the 11th/12th C. If you visit one of the 2 Caravanserai you will have visited both T List sites –but as you are visiting other T List Caravanserai there is no need. If you visit the Mausoleum at Sangbast you will have visited the Khorasan T List site

The Khorasan entry seems a bit "contrived" to bring together 4 locations with Ghaznavi/Seljukian connections – in particular Baba Loghman Mausoleum seems a bit thin given that most of it dates to a later period.
How "live" the Khorasan T List entry is - who knows. Has it to some extent been "overtaken" by the later "Caravanserai" entry? Will a nomination for the Persian Caravanserai be "enough" or does Iran really want to recognise specifically the Ghaznavid/Seljuk period as well (separately) as the Caravanserai. I also wonder how all of this "fits in" with any future "Silk Route" nomination of which Iran might be a part??
You will have to tell us when you return!!!

Author Zoe
Partaker
#52 | Posted: 14 Jan 2019 14:31 
I have to say the T list entries are written so poorly and on arrival many are so disappointing I am glad they are usually just stopovers on the way. A lot of these town bazaars and "domes" are merely shopping arcades. You never know if some affidavit turns a rejection into inscription these days though. Maybe Macy's could get on the list.

@Els ; as pointed out in Jarek's review the picture of Sharhr-i Sokhta is incorrect. The tallest wall of the ruins is maybe 50cm tall lol

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Iran

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑