World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Peru

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4

Author Zoe
Partaker
#46 | Posted: 26 Aug 2019 09:57 
Trujillo is back on the list and an easy tick when visiting ChanChan. Can't recommend it but my hotel was just a few blocks away from centro historico.
I also went to Chankillo and it's difficult to get there, not much to see and I think a drone is required to get any worthwhile shots. Surely special for being an old astronomy complex but hard to see among the ruins.
Hiring a car at Lima airport is easy and the road to Trujillo is smooth: all paved and many dual highway sections (even triple). One short section had a deviation but it wasn't long. So wheras I'm glad I had the luxury of the car and driving in peru isn't anything hair-raising as people say online, it has limited mileage so I rented for more days than needed which was cheaper than the additional charges. The toll adds up too. Wouldn't do it again but it saved me at least 2 days traveling with buses and I carry so much coffee from Colombia now lol

Author kintante
Partaker
#47 | Posted: 26 Aug 2019 10:33 
Zoe:
Trujillo is back on the list

True. I just checked the unesco site and Trujillo, Cajamarca and Titicaca are still on the T-list. @Els: can you move them back from former T list to T list?

I have family in Lima and they all have cars. So I guess I will cover Chankillo with a driver :) but I sometimes play with the idea to get a drone. Places like Neuf-Brisach or Palmanova would be so much better with a drone.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#48 | Posted: 26 Aug 2019 17:49 
nfmungard:
Solivagant:
3. Acueductos Nasca, región Ica.

I think I have been there while waiting for my bus to Arequipa. I would assume this is a simple extension of Nasca, not a new site.

I wouldn't think so. The lines are artistic marvels whereas the aqueducts are for water management. You have seen it yourself :) I got to see the the Cantayoq aqueduct on my overflight plus it's easy to visit by taxi. We don't have any map data by the way, i can see these are mentioned as well:
Orcona
Pangaravi
Ocongalla, part of a tour if you go to the Cahuachi Pyramids
Santa María

Author Zoe
Partaker
#49 | Posted: 30 Aug 2019 16:49 | Edited by: Zoe 
Qhapaq Nan: i saw this sign in Cuzco center and now I'm wondering if the roads in Centro Historico are supposed to be inscribed as well?

https://ibb.co/yQPWjZC

Author Sjobe
Partaker
#50 | Posted: 30 Aug 2019 19:05 
Zoe
These four roads from Hauk'aypata Square / Plaza de Armas are part of the Qhapaq Nan WHS.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#51 | Posted: 31 Aug 2019 15:24 
Oh, great. Is there actually anything where our dot is on the map North of town? Suggest having a dot in the centre of Cuzco.

Author davidyao
Partaker
#52 | Posted: 20 Nov 2019 21:34 

Author FredericM
Partaker
#53 | Posted: 5 Dec 2019 19:43 
Hi,
I thought I could share with you my itinerary for 8 weeks in Ecuador and Peru. Let me know what you think!

Day 1: Night flight Québec - Toronto - Quito
Day 2: Morning flight to the Galapagos. Night on Santa Cruz (Galapagos WHS)
Day 3-6: Isabella
Day 7-10: Santa Cruz
Day 11-12: Quito (Quito WHS)
Day 13-14: Cuenca, night bus to Loja (Santa Ana de los Rios de Cuenca WHS)
Day 15: Bus to Jaen
Day 16-20: Chachapoyas (Chachapoyas TWHS)
Day 21-22: Cajamarca (Cajamarca TWHS)
Day 23-24: Trujillo (Chan Chan WHS, Trujillo TWHS)
Day 25: Casma (Chankillo TWHS)
Day 26-32: Huaraz (Chavin and Huascaran WHS)
Day 33: Barranca (Caral-Supe WHS)
Day 34-36: Lima (Lima WHS, Peruvian Central Railway and Coastal Lomas TWHS)
Day 37-38: Paracas (Guano Islands TWHS)
Day 39: Ica (Pisco production TWHS)
Day 40-41: Nazca, night bus to Arequipa (Nasca lines WHS, Nazca Aqueducts TWHS)
Day 42-47: Arequipa, including two nights in Colca Canon, night bus to Puno (Arequipa WHS, Toro Muerto TWHS)
Day 48-49: Puno, including day trip to Tiwanaku (Tiwanaku WHS, Temples of Collao and Lake Titicaca TWHS)
Day 50-57: Cuzco (Qhapaq Nan, Cuzco and Machu Picchu WHS, Rural temples of Cusco and Maras TWHS)
Day 58-59: Flight home.

Anyone here has done Tiwanaku as a day-trip from Puno? Any advice?

Do you think it would be possible to visit Marhuamachuco on the way between Cajamarca and Trujillo in a single day? The travel time vary greatly depending on where I look.

Author elsslots
Admin
#54 | Posted: 6 Dec 2019 00:06 
It seems like quite an epic trip, Frederic!

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#55 | Posted: 6 Dec 2019 12:11 
FredericM
This is almost a complete reverse of my trip. Very doable and will be an amazing experience. I didn't visit Tiwanaku as a day trip but if you can find transport there should easily be time. Tiwanaku doesn't take long to visit and the border procedures are very straightforward. Just be aware that the transport days will be long and exhausting if you are taking the bus everywhere.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#56 | Posted: 7 Dec 2019 08:33 
watkinstravel
Thanks! Yeah, I am expecting loooong bus journeys on this trip.

Author FredericM
Partaker
#57 | Posted: 29 Mar 2020 20:00 
FredericM:
I thought I could share with you my itinerary for 8 weeks in Ecuador and Peru.

Time for some feed back on this trip. More to come with reviews.

I almost followed my planned itinerary. I changed it slightly before leaving to fit the wishes of my travel partner. We changed the end for Nazca - Night bus to Cuzco (14h!) - Puno - Arequipa - Flight to Lima and back home. I've been warned flying to or from Arequipa can be tricky as flights are often cancelled due to bad weather in Arequipa. Unfortunately, I had no chance to test it myself with the Covid-19 crisis. Peru declared the state of emergency when we were in Cuzco and just back from Machu Picchu. I therefore missed a proper visit of Cuzco, some Qhapaq Nan sites, Rural temples of Cusco and Maras, plus Arequipa, Colca Canon, Toro Muerto, Puno, Tiwanaku, Temples of Collao and Lake Titicaca.

FredericM:
Anyone here has done Tiwanaku as a day-trip from Puno? Any advice?

As stated before, I didn't got any chance to investigate that.

FredericM:
Do you think it would be possible to visit Marhuamachuco on the way between Cajamarca and Trujillo in a single day? The travel time vary greatly depending on where I look.

The road between Cajamarca and Trujillo requires 6 hours. It is not possible to visit Marhuamachuco in between these. I took a night bus.

In sum:

World class sites: Machu Picchu and Galapagos (obviously!), but also Huascaran. Don't be afraid of the rainy season in the Andes (December to March). I was prepared for torrential deluge, but it barely rained. Moreover, it's the perfect time for the coast.

Really good sites: Nazca is unique. Chavin is the best of the three archeological sites north of Lima (Chan Chan, Caral), but all three are worth a visit (though Chan Chan is weaker). Guano Islands and Chachapoyas are the best TWHS I've visited. Almost in the world class category. Chankillo and Lomas de Lachay are also worth inscription, though being more niché.

Surprises: I really enjoyed Lima, more than what I was expecting from the reviews here. Same for Cuenca. I wasn't expecting anything from Pisco production sites, but I surprisingly had a really great time there.

Disappointments: Other than the sites I missed because of the current outbreak, I must tell I was expecting more from Quito. Among T sites, I am not sure about the OUV of Nasca Aqueducts and Central Railway from my visits. Trujillo is a very beautiful and pleasant city, but I'm unsure it would add anything to the list at this point. Huaca de la Luna is my highlight in this region and should definitly be on T list and inscribed quick! Finally, for various reasons, I had a bad time in Cajamarca and can't tell anything positive about this city.

Stay tuned for my reviews or ask any question here!

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Peru

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑