World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

The Netherlands

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4

Author elsslots
Admin
#46 | Posted: 7 Dec 2020 06:52 | Edited by: elsslots 
Hi paul. The horeca is not closed (although this is widely misreported in the Dutch media). All restaurants with outside terraces (in a country with a climate like Curacao = all restaurants) are allowed to be open until 8 pm. I ate out twice every day, both in Willemstad and along the road to Westpunt. No alcohol allowed though.

See: https://curacao.nu/de-maatregelen-vanaf-1-december-op-een-rij/

To be on the safe side, I'd recommend to book a hotel that has a restaurant as well. Those will always stay open for their hotel guests if conditions worsen.

The number of tourists is still very low, there are 2 flights a day from Amsterdam and just last week the daily flight from Miami has started again. So later in the week there were a bit more tourists in the streets of Willemstad. The national parks and the plantations houses in the northwest were very little visited, I guess most people just come for the beaches. But everything is open - attractions, parks, shops.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#47 | Posted: 7 Dec 2020 08:41 
Most people used to come for the "Gentleman's Club" ahem.
Just curious if a flight to Bonaire or Aruba is off-limits at the moment?

Author mrayers
Partaker
#48 | Posted: 7 Dec 2020 09:03 
Willemstad was probably the third WHS I have visited during my life, but that was four or five years before the List even existed. I was probably eleven years old, and went with my family. I know some here don't count childhood visits, but I still remember taking a bus tour around the city center with my mother, so I count it. Of course, that wasn't as thorough an experience as your vist, Els. ;-) Glad you had a good time!

Author elsslots
Admin
#49 | Posted: 7 Dec 2020 10:29 | Edited by: elsslots 
Zoe:
Just curious if a flight to Bonaire or Aruba is off-limits at the moment?

No it isn't, but you'll have to take yet another Covid test

Author elsslots
Admin
#50 | Posted: 7 Dec 2020 10:48 
mrayers:
I know some here don't count childhood visits, but I still remember taking a bus tour around the city center with my mother, so I count it.

For Willemstad I'd count it too, it would have been hard to have missed the core zone of the WHS even on a general touristy tour.

Author elsslots
Admin
#51 | Posted: 7 Dec 2020 10:53 | Edited by: elsslots 
elsslots:
No it isn't, but you'll have to take yet another Covid test

P.S. & off-topic: want to know all about the champion in covid testing in a row? Read mrayers' website about his experiences in West-Africa!

Author mrayers
Partaker
#52 | Posted: 7 Dec 2020 17:26 
elsslots:
P.S. & off-topic: want to know all about the champion in covid testing in a row? Read mrayers' website about his experiences in West-Africa!

Mmmm... Not exactly an honor I am particularly pleased to hold, but, yes, I just took test number 12 over the last three months yesterday (all negative, of course). Number 11 was the day before, in the midst of a fiasco when I unsuccessfully tried to enter Gabon, but was turned back because their so-called "eVisa" system had very little "e" involved in the process.

[weak attempt to get back on topic] There are former Dutch Forts in a WHS just 120 km from where I am sitting, but I wasn't able to see them, also for annoying bureaucratic reasons.

Page  Page 4 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 The Netherlands

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑