World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Ireland

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#16 | Posted: 26 Jul 2017 08:28 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
meltwaterfalls:
I have recollection of looking at a memorial plaque about it,

Oh I did, it is this one here, so I must have ventured further onto the island than I remembered.

The German site with one million visitors must be referring to something that got a boost from becoming a World Heritage Site rather than an equivalent communication heritage site?

From looking at our connection of sites with over a million visitors, the best guess I could make is Zollverein (incidentally the link on that one is a deadend now, but the official site has a figure of over two million visits), as the others don't seem comparable; Museuminsel, Aachen and Cologne Cathedrals.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#17 | Posted: 29 Aug 2019 15:31 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Amazingly it appears that Ireland has recently embarked upon a process to update its Tentative List, even though it has done NOTHING with its current list created back in 2010. See all the plans detailed above under this topic for nominations in 2011, 2012, 2013., 2014 .......etc etc!

This link announces the process. It appears to be aiming at a fairly slow pace since applications don't close until end June 2020! And then these all have to be evaluated! The idea is to cover T List possibilities for the Years 2020 - 2030. Which is a ridiculous statement given that it couldn't even be complete before late 2020. There is no indication that any of the existing T List entries are "active" in developing a Nomination before then.

Author elsslots
Admin
#18 | Posted: 30 Aug 2019 00:57 
I did some research on it for my latest blog post (see final 2 paragraphs). There is very little activity to be found, I read a few times that they seem to be worried about the costs involving a nomination. The only 2 possible candidates for the new T List that I could find were the Valentia Telegraph Station (likely) and Cork Harbour fortifications (rumour).

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#19 | Posted: 30 Aug 2019 16:32 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
I can't get the world heritage Ireland site to load.

As you say Solivagant it seems odd to restart the process as the current t-list is pretty coherent and has a fair few potential quality nominations within, in a country that isn't particularly over represented (by European standards anyway).

It has been nearly quarter of a century since they nominated anything, I don't really understand the reluctance to put something forward at the same time as drumming up support for new t-lists.

I can sort of understand the view that costs of nominations are high, but Ireland is one of the wealthier countries in the world (per capita anyway) and for the majority of these sites the additional revenues generated would recoup that pretty quickly, especially appealing to some of the lesser visited counties which are home to the sites of higher quality (Clonmacnoise on the Offaly Roscommon border being a case in point).

Will be interesting to see what comes out, though I struggle to think of better candidates than those already on there.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#20 | Posted: 31 Aug 2019 03:58 | Edited by: Solivagant 
meltwaterfalls:
I can't get the world heritage Ireland site to load.

Yes - very strange. The entire "World Heritage Ireland" Web site seems to be unreachable.
If you do a Google search on "World Heritage Ireland " or "World Heritage Ireland Tentative List" and then try to reach either of the relevant sites, you get the same "not available" response -so it isn't simply an error in the copying of the link into the post. It is a Government site so presumably they will get it up again some time!!

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#21 | Posted: 5 Sep 2019 06:09 
The site and specific t-list page are back up now.

Still none the wiser on the need for it, being as thee hasn't been any progress on the previous sites, which seem to be the strongest candidates. Perhaps it is just an exercise to get a couple of specific sites on (Valentia Cable Station) and a couple off (no idea which ones, though the western stone forts were the only ones that didn't have a previous nomination slot allocated to them) the current list.

Perhaps there are domestic reasons for the process to be renewed, though a quick search did't seem to turn anything up in particular.

Page  Page 2 of 2:  « Previous  1  2 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Ireland

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑