World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

France

Page  Page 6 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6

Author jeanbon
Partaker
#76 | Posted: 5 Aug 2019 13:50 
In the same way as the The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier, the Architectural work of G.Eiffel has been already approached? Would it be a serious idea or not in your opinion? It could cover several countries.
I didn't find any topic about this architect

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#77 | Posted: 5 Aug 2019 15:46 | Edited by: Solivagant 
jeanbon:
In the same way as the The Architectural Work of Le Corbusier, the Architectural work of G.Eiffel has been already approached? Would it be a serious idea or not in your opinion? It could cover several countries.

You will have seen the Connection for WHS inscribed as "Multiple works of a Single Architect"?
So - Palladio, Vauban, Horta, Gaudi, Le Corbusier and FL Wright.
Leaving aside the issue of whether they all really "justify" being placed on a World Heritage pedestal, I guess that what they have in common is an innovative, coherent and developing style/technology which influenced the wider world and/or (Horta?) reflected an era/historical period, rather than merely being a collection of works which happened to be created by a single person. Some of the Nominations, of course, had problems in coming up with a subset of the oeuvres of the "great man" which satisfactorily demonstrated that!
What attributes/features would you cite as being Eiffel's particular "gift(s)" to the world of engineering and which works could do that?

Author jeanbon
Partaker
#78 | Posted: 6 Aug 2019 02:48 
Nothing in particular, i just wanted your opinion. I prefer Eiffel architecture rather than the Le Corbusier's one (or Horta). But it's just an esthetic point of view, it's not based on serious WHS criteria. But we can imagine the usage of iron like Le Havre has been classified for the usage of concrete. In Lisbon, Paris, in Corsica, and countries like Algeria, Vietnam, Hungary...

Author Messy
Partaker
#79 | Posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:18 
is there a decent map anywhere of the Paris: Banks of the Seine WHS which shows where the boundaries are? I'm going to spend a day or so there early next month an I've never precisely found out. Frustrating.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#80 | Posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:35 
The UNESCO site has this one. You can zoom in on the map to see that many famous sites, from Notre Dame Cathedral to the Louvre to the Eiffel Tower are in the core zone. I personally like Sainte-Chapelle for its remarkable stained glass windows that are worth seeing by morning's light.

Author elsslots
Admin
#81 | Posted: 22 Sep 2019 09:35 
Messy:
is there a decent map anywhere of the Paris: Banks of the Seine WHS which shows where the boundaries are?

I think the one on the UNESCO website is pretty clear (when you zoom in): http://whc.unesco.org/document/107183
The core zone comprises the Seine river between the Eiffel Tower and Ile St. Louis, the islands in the river and the parks & buildings which lie directly on both river banks. Plus some additional notable buildings which are not directly on the river banks but close enough: the Hotel des Invalides, the Grand Palais and the Church de La Madeleine for example.
All other interesting places you may have heard about in Paris are not included.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#82 | Posted: 27 Sep 2019 05:38 
My French isn't good at all but I think the sites on Martinique comprise of 6 zones and not just Mount Pelee?

1re aire : le massif du Piton Mont Conil et les mornes et pitons adjacents sur les communes sur Prêcheur et Grand-Rivière,

2e aire : l'édifice volcanique récent de la Montagne Pelée et ses différents versants,

3e aire : le massif du Morne Jacob et des Pitons du Carbet, la coulée forestière du Morne Rose à Fond Boucher sur les communes de Bellefontaine et Case-Pilote,

4e aire : la Presqu'île de la Caravelle à Trinité,

5e aire : la Presqu'île des Trois-îlets,

6e aire plus dispersée : constituée de 6 zones naturelles d'intérêt écologique, faunistique et floristique (ZNIEFF) du centre et du sud de l'île, toutes à très haute valeur écologique, Montagne du Vauclin, mornes calcaires de Sainte-Anne, Morne Aca, Ravine Saint-Pierre et Morne Préfontaine, Morne David et Bois la Charles, Pointe Bateau et Pointe Jean-Claude et d'îlets ou rochers de grande importance botanique ou ornithologique : le Rocher du Diamant, les îlets de Saint-Anne et l'îlet Chevalier.

Author Jasam
Partaker
#83 | Posted: 27 Sep 2019 13:53 
Zoe:
My French isn't good at all but I think the sites on Martinique comprise of 6 zones and not just Mount Pelee?

Yes you're right, it says that it's made up of six areas, and the sixth one itself comprises 6 zones (1. Vauclin Mountain, 2. limestone mornes of Sainte-Anne 3. Morne Aca 4. Saint-Pierre gully and Morne Préfontaine 5. Morne David and Bois la Charles 6. Pointe Bateau and Pointe Jean-Claude) as well as a handful of rocks (the Rocher du Diamant) and islets (Saint-Anne and Chevalier).

Author Jasam
Partaker
#84 | Posted: 27 Sep 2019 14:58 
Jasam
So I guess that makes 14 components in total:
14.83333, -61.18333 Massif du Piton Mont Conil et mornes et pitons adjacents
14.81665, -61.16706 Montagne Pelée
14.7682, -61.08756 Massif du Morne Jacob, pitons du Carbet et coulée forestière du Morne Rose à Fond Boucher
14.77036, -60.8813 Presqu'île de la Caravelle
14.50548, -61.03394 Presqu'île des Trois-Îlets
14.55773, -60.8851 Montagne du Vauclin
14.4321, -60.85834 Mornes calcaires de Sainte-Anne
14.4593, -60.90107 Morne Aca
14.48509, -60.94545 Ravine Saint-Pierre et Morne Préfontaine
14.55235, -60.93654 Morne David et Bois la Charles
14.71991, -60.92966 Pointe Bateau et Pointe Jean-Claude
14.44338, -61.03888 Rocher du Diamant
14.41361, -60.83344 Îlets de Saint-Anne
14.43041, -60.82763 Îlet Chevalier

PS: dossier is here

Author elsslots
Admin
#85 | Posted: 28 Sep 2019 03:59 
Thanks Jasam and Zoe, I have added the locations and the link

Author elsslots
Admin
#86 | Posted: 16 Nov 2019 03:20 | Edited by: elsslots 
winterkjm:
Future inscriptions from France, will almost exclusively come from the recent tentative list nominations.

*I included the planned WHC Evaluation year in BOLD

The Marquesas Islands (2010)
2018 Chain of the Puys and fault of Limagne (2011)
2018 Nimes, Antiquity to the Present (2012)
Volcanic and forest areas of Martinique (2014)
2020 Metz Royal and Imperial, stakes of power, stylistic confrontations and urban identity (2014)
2019 The D-Day Landing Beaches, Normandy, 1944 (2014)
2018 Funerary Sites and Memorials of the First World War (West Front) (2014)
2019 Great Spas of Europe (2014)
The French Southern Territories National Nature Reserve (2016)
2019 The Alps of the Mediterranean (2017)
Nice, the new town born of tourism, or the invention of the Riviera (2017)
City of Carcassonne and its sentinel mountain castles (2017)

To follow-up on this roadmap, there's https://la1ere.francetvinfo.fr/candidature-martiniquaise-unesco-bonne-voie-763725.html
The text says that Martinique, La Baie des Anges à Nice and la Maison Carrée de Nîmes are 3 candidates that battle each other for a spot in 2021. Looks like Macron handpicks the one!
For 2020 we already see the Phare de Cordouan, one from the 'old' Tentative List (2002)

Page  Page 6 of 6:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 France

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑