World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Guatemala & Honduras

Author clyde
Partaker
#1 | Posted: 12 Jan 2014 09:56 
I am seriously considering a self drive holiday for 2 weeks in Guatemala and hoping to take in Copan, Honduras and relax for a couple of days near the Belize Barrier Reef.

I read the reviews on this site and it seems Paul Tanner has already opted for this mode of travel. Do you think it's dangerous or doable?

I intend to visit Antigua, Lake Atitkal, then head to Copan Ruinas in Honduras. Then work my way to Tikal stopping at Quirigua on the way. Then I'd catch a flight to Belize.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#2 | Posted: 12 Jan 2014 12:50 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Well. It was a long time ago so I cant guarantee the relevance of my experiences in today's conditions
We rented in Guatemala in 1995 and had been there by bus in 1985

Driving in Guatemala gave no particular problems
a. Roads were quite good
b. Police gave no problems
c. Car from an international company (cant remember which off hand) was good
d. We didnt prebook any hotels after the arrival night and didnt have problems
e. We didnt go to Tikal by car having been there by bus on the earlier trip. I presume the road will have improved since 1985 when it wasnt good. The main reason we didnt drive there i. 1995 however was that it was rather out of the way for our main circuit. As I remember it the bus from there to Beliz was quite easy.
f. Apart from that we visited all the places you mentioned plus others. Except Copan of course but my reviews describe the process for getting there from the border in those days.
g. I would do it by self drive car again

Cant think kf anything else of relevance. Good travelling!

Author clyde
Partaker
#3 | Posted: 12 Jan 2014 14:31 
thanks Paul! That helps me a great deal.

I'm inclined to go for it after having visited Costa Rica, Panama and Nicaragua and having seen that the Panamerican highway and roads in general in Central America (in the dry season!) are generally in good condition. I would be driving a 4x4 just in case, but mostly I'd like to go for self drive to be able to visit Quirigua and Copan and then Tikal before heading to Belize to snorkel and relax.

Author vantcj1
Partaker
#4 | Posted: 13 Jan 2014 00:59 
To my knowledge, self driving in those countries is the best option. In Costa Rica, Nicaragua, and Panama traveling by public transportation could be sometimes a fair option, but in Guatemala and Honduras must be avoided at all cost. The insecurity up there is a real deal, , but the most of the violence is not directly targeted to tourists, as far as you keep on the tourist track. On the other hand, the quality of the roads, the infrastructure in general and the signage are far better up there. Still, I would have some degree of precaution driving to Tikal.

Author clyde
Partaker
#5 | Posted: 15 Jan 2014 04:09 
In the end we might opt for a driver with the car since it's not that expensive for 2 weeks

Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Guatemala & Honduras

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑