World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Germany

Page  Page 12 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next »

Author Pavel
Partaker
#166 | Posted: 31 Oct 2021 08:39 | Edited by: Pavel 
Hubert
- Olympic Park and Sports Facilities of the 1972 Olympic Games in Munich (Bavaria)
it sounds like a hot candidate...

- TV Tower Stuttgart (Baden-Württemberg), the first TV tower built from reinforced concrete
I like CN Tower in Toronto more, and... TWHS Ještěd tower in Czechia is more elegant!

- Görlitz - an architectural ensemble on the Via Regia (Saxony) postponed in 2014, probably the best-preserved historic town centre in Germany, special feature being the historic Hallenhäuser (merchants' houses).
Though nice historical town, one of my favorite in Germany, I cannot see any OUV. "Hallenhäuser" are not such unique. There are plenty of them in town Jihlava, Czechia (somewhere between Praha and Brno), and I visited one nice example also in Vipiteno/Sterzing in Alto Adige. The reason the houses were constructed was the lack of daylight withing large merchant houses built on narrow medieval plot. Is this enough for WHS?? Probably not!

- Karl-Marx-Allee and Interbau 1957. Architecture and Urbanism of Post-World War II Modernism (Berlin), two residential areas as comparison between the styles in East and West, the list of architects of the Hansaviertel is like the who's who of the famous architects of this period
I visited a friend, who rented a flat in Karl-Marx-Allee a couple of years ago, not too bad! However, Hansaviertel never looked appealing for me, but should explore more in detail next time in Berlin...
Anyway, it may have a potential

Not included here, but confirmed: Herrnhut Moravian Church and Berthelsdorf Castle as part of a transnational extension of the Christiansfeld WHS
Yes, this is hot candidate for reasonable extension. I have been there, have not been impressed too much, but still this should not dilute OUV of Christiansfeld

Nan
As a German resident being well travelled in Germany, I am astounded at the many places I still don't know about.
It seems that the state party of Germany is now searching very deep in the bag... I would not be surprised, if Dresden is miraculously found there :))

Author Jurre
Partaker
#167 | Posted: 4 Nov 2021 07:05 | Edited by: Jurre 

Author Jurre
Partaker
#168 | Posted: 4 Nov 2021 07:32 
hubert:
- Nuremberg Palace of Justice with Courtroom 600 and historic prison cells - site of the main War Crimes Trial and birthplace of international criminal law (Bavaria)
I am not sure if the room can be restored to the original state, so maybey a problem with integrity and authenticity

If the remembrance sites of the First World War pose a problem because the Unesco doesn't want to inscribe sites linked to recent conflicts anymore, then this should stand absolutely no chance.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#169 | Posted: 7 Nov 2021 04:50 
Pavel:
It seems that the state party of Germany is now searching very deep in the bag... I would not be surprised, if Dresden is miraculously found there :))

Meissen kind of is Dresden through the backdoor. And yeah, finding a way to relist Dresden would be nice.

I don't have much hope for Germany's list and feel the efforts should simply stop. But, the infrastructure (plenty of staff) is there, so we will churn out more every year.

Jurre:
Hamburger Sternwarte soll Kulturerbe werden

Haven't been, only heard about it a few years ago... And I live in Hamburg. Feels really off.

Author Jonas Bergmann
Partaker
#170 | Posted: 7 Nov 2021 08:25 
The proposals are ... disillusioning. IMO still so much sites worth inscription and they have chosen these (with some exceptions) disappointing ones. What are they doing all day in the state ministries? I think the German members should really lend the guys a helping hand and submit our suggestions about how to improve The List.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#171 | Posted: 7 Nov 2021 12:18 
Jonas Bergmann:
The proposals are ... disillusioning. IMO still so much sites worth inscription and they have chosen these (with some exceptions) disappointing ones. What are they doing all day in the state ministries? I think the German members should really lend the guys a helping hand and submit our suggestions about how to improve The List.

It might be they're trying hard to fill in gaps that the Unesco wants to see filled, while their usual proposals would be very much "more of the same" we see on the List.

Yet, I do think that Neuschwanstein deserves a place on the list, even if we already have many European palaces on the list. I even think Schloss Schwerin would be a great addition to the list. But I know not everyone likes more castles on the list.

Author Jonas Bergmann
Partaker
#172 | Posted: 7 Nov 2021 13:08 
Jurre:
It might be they're trying hard to fill in gaps that the Unesco wants to see filled, while their usual proposals would be very much "more of the same" we see on the List.

Well ... Filling the gaps with the extension Waldsiedlung Zehlendorf, if you have Berlin Wall and Tempelhof Airport in your state. Well done, Berlin, well done.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#173 | Posted: 8 Nov 2021 02:59 
Jonas Bergmann:
IMO still so much sites worth inscription

Feel free to elaborate. Tempelhof and Berlin Wall already mentioned.

Jonas Bergmann:
Berlin Wall

Problem is with consistency. Most of it is gone.

Author Pavel
Partaker
#174 | Posted: 8 Nov 2021 04:55 
nfmungard:
Most of it is gone.

Yes! I think that I also have a small piece of the wall somewhere in my shelves. It was given to me as a reminder of its destruction in winter 1989/90 by somebody who participated...

Author Jonas Bergmann
Partaker
#175 | Posted: 8 Nov 2021 06:15 
nfmungard:
Problem is with consistency. Most of it is gone.

But this happened to nearly all archeological WHS. They have been inscribed still and nobody will doubt that they are on the list rightly. Therefore also the most important construction worldwide for the history of the second part of the 20th century can be inscribed.

Author Jonas Bergmann
Partaker
#176 | Posted: 8 Nov 2021 06:15 | Edited by: Jonas Bergmann 
The other possible options for Germany I will mention later.

But of course the German list also has to be purged from other sites not being worth to be there.

Author Jurre
Partaker
#177 | Posted: 8 Nov 2021 08:14 
Jonas Bergmann:
Therefore also the most important construction worldwide for the history of the second part of the 20th century can be inscribed.

Is it?

Besides, I have to make the point again: if Unesco is hesitant to inscribe the cemeteries of the First World War because they are a witness/reminder of recent conflict, why would the Berlin Wall be inscribed, as it falls in the same category, at least as far as I am concerned. The Berlin Wall is a remnant of the consequences of World War 2.

Author Pavel
Partaker
#178 | Posted: 8 Nov 2021 08:22 
Jonas Bergmann; Jurre
Besides WWI/II, remember what happened this year WHC session with Gdansk shipyards, which is the symbol comparable to the Berlin Wall. The shipyard itself has not been found to be unique enough for the inscription, and the intangible things were supposed to be too fresh and controversial. Russia and China were strongly against the inscription.

Author Jonas Bergmann
Partaker
#179 | Posted: 8 Nov 2021 09:16 | Edited by: Jonas Bergmann 
The Berlin Wall had the function to be ... the Berlin Wall. A shipyard has the function to be a shipyard. For WHS it is not decisive that something historical important happened in the shipyard. Intangible events are not important for being a WHS. Therefore I am also of the opinion that Luthers Memorials do not belong to the list although reformation has begun there. The buildings inscribed there missing completely any importance.

I don't know how important WWI is still in other countries. But in Germany I think nearly nobody would have any problem to inscribe cemeteries of WWI or even Mamajew Hill in Wolgograd. These conflicts are no more "recent", but part of history. Where the conflicts are still alive I would be more hesitant of course, e.g. DMZ in Korea.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#180 | Posted: 8 Nov 2021 09:25 
Pavel:
Besides WWI/II, remember what happened this year WHC session with Gdansk shipyards, which is the symbol comparable to the Berlin Wall. The shipyard itself has not been found to be unique enough for the inscription, and the intangible things were supposed to be too fresh and controversial. Russia and China were strongly against the inscription.

I would actually argue that Gdansk Shipyard is better. It's a positive episode, the Berlin Wall mainly a negative one. Both sites suffer as they are not relevant of their own, but for historic events. The Shipyard was not a super great shipyard. The Berlin Wall was a super great wall to keep locked into the DDR.

Jonas Bergmann:
But this happened to nearly all archeological WHS. They have been inscribed still and nobody will doubt that they are on the list rightly. Therefore also the most important construction worldwide for the history of the second part of the 20th century can be inscribed.

I tend to disagree. The further we go back in time, the more I accept ruins (Ancient Greece ) or less (Paleo). But for a site of the 20th century, I do not. German made a call in tearing it down for the most part, I think an unfortunate one, but they did.

Page  Page 12 of 13:  « Previous  1  ...  10  11  12  13  Next » 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Germany

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑