World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

Germany

Page  Page 11 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11

Author clyde
Partaker
#151 | Posted: 16 Oct 2020 14:56 
I really cannot understand unfriendly and unwelcoming people working in the tourism industry

Author elsslots
Admin
#152 | Posted: 17 Oct 2020 00:40 
Maybe they don't see themselves as a tourist site? Places likes this can be deadly serious about themselves (even more so in Germany) and get overprotective. Was it guarded as well? Were they afraid of antisemitic attacks? If you both had the same vibe, it must be more than one unfriendly person working at the ticket office.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#153 | Posted: 17 Oct 2020 05:22 
I must admit it did have a less than welcoming approach when we visited as well. I think as Els suggests it may be more of how they view themselves as not really a tourist attraction and more of cultural institution.

It did stick in my mind though, especially as the photo restrictions were tough, when in most cases there wasn't an awful lot inside that if would seem detrimental to.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#154 | Posted: 19 Oct 2020 08:53 | Edited by: nfmungard 
Feels like I need to visit Erfurt myself..

Curious to see if this is a general German thing or related to the site and staff itself. I would agree with Ian and Els, though, that Jewish sites in Germany are often quiet and educational. On purpose. They are not intended as tourist/entertainment sites and are not part of the tourism industry. They should be treated accordingly.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#155 | Posted: 19 Oct 2020 21:44 | Edited by: Zoe 
That might be so but with an entrance price attached to the site I expect to be treated like a guest rather than an unwelcomed one. The lady at the reception wasn't that half bad but made it clear I wouldn't get much out of the upper area without an audio guide , obviously costing extra again (I forget if it was available mutli-language). The "security" were very condescending and the only friendly person was chatting with me at the wedding ring display when I asked if this is something they would wear for more than just the wedding. "Oh goodness, no" lol

@nan Please feel free to point this out when you visit haha

Page  Page 11 of 11:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  11 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 Germany

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑