World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

USA

Page  Page 29 of 29:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  27  28  29

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#421 | Posted: 13 Jan 2022 05:37 
nfmungard:
Wasnt there a huge fuzz re The Alamo and handing it over to the UN?

Yeah, Alex Jones (Infowars) was there, claiming it was being handed to the UN.

Nothing came of it, Mr Jones moved on to his next grift, and people got on with their lives realising all that had happend was that it was now on a list of places people think should be protected.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#422 | Posted: 13 Jan 2022 07:52 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
winterkjm:
Exploration of the US World Heritage Program and Tentative List Expansion

US Gap Study

Thanks for flagging this up winterkjm, it is interesting reading.

I find the framing of some of the propossals fascinating, especially the Cultural Diversity Latino sites (Workers rights, tied to a specific person/ industry, and buildings from before New Mexico's incorporation into the USA) the framing of them as non mainstream (for want of a better word) is a fascinating insight.

I'm happy to see the Mormon historical sites on there as well, though I fear the churches current practices of removing designs with historical value from temple sites and homogenising them, suggests they won't be particularly interested in persuing a spot on the tentative list.
Having said that I am a little confused by the recommendation on page 18 Sites could include the Latter Day Saints Church or Mormon landscape of the San Pino valley south of Salt Lake City. I know that area pretty well and have never heard of the San Pino valley, perhaps they could mean Sanpete county?

It was an early Mormon place of expansion, post settling in Salt Lake City, and Manti has an important temple, though I'm not sure I would give it top billing as a Mormon planned landscape, but I would be interested to know more about that recommendation.

Page  Page 29 of 29:  « Previous  1  2  3  ...  27  28  29 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 USA

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑