World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

USA

Page  Page 24 of 28:  « Previous  1  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  Next »

Author Zoe
Partaker
#346 | Posted: 15 Jun 2019 17:06 
I found the workshop more interesting than Unity Temple but alas I'm so happy it is finally getting inscribed. That discussing 2 years seems pathetic seeing how so many lousy "not inscribe" sites are overturned instead. I will visit Falling Water next month.

Author tsunami
Partaker
#347 | Posted: 5 Jul 2019 17:01 | Edited by: tsunami 
The epicenter of the recent M 6.4 earthquake in California was Ridgecrest, which hosts the Coso Rock Art National Historic Landmark with more than 50,000 petroglyphs, the highest concentration of rock art in the Northern Hemisphere (Wiki). Unlike the nearby Carrizo Plain National Monument (which stunned Californians a few months ago with its "super bloom"), Coso Rock Art has never officially been considered for a WHS, much due to the fact that it now lies within a Naval Air Weapons Station. But Coso Rock Art is one of the most valuable cultural heritages we have in California. Just worried about its state after the earthquake, from far away in Poland.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#348 | Posted: 5 Jul 2019 17:17 
I am sure it's fine. At worst a couple large rocks/boulders with petroglyphs shifted. I doubt there was any noteworthy damage. You are right though about Coso Rock Art District, it really would be an excellent world heritage site.

Author tsunami
Partaker
#349 | Posted: 6 Jul 2019 01:34 
Wow, another one, this time M 7/1, just hit it. Perhaps another couple or more boulders shifted. Hope not any more earthquakes.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#350 | Posted: 16 May 2020 16:28 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Assif:
@winterkjm: Regardless of this enterprise I would be interested to know which other USA sites you deem worthy of inscription. Maybe we could discuss this some other time when this project is over.

These sites didn't make the cut for me in the Top Missing discussion, but I feel are generally deserving of inscription. My US proposals were focused on gaps and a strong claim of OUV. I was pleased to see some other sites that I overlooked proposed by other users. However, this was a list of sites I did not want to propose, because I believe it would over-saturate proposals from the US (too many proposals, over lap, etc).

All name/title links are my Flickr albums.

1 Sinagua Cultural Landscape (Arizona)
- Montezuma Castle National Monument
- Tuzigoot National Monument
- Wupatki National Monument
- Sunset Crater National Monument
- Walnut Canyon National Monument
- V-Bar-V Heritage Site

Sinagua (wikipedia)

2 Japanese-American Internment Camps
- Manzanar National Historic Site (California)
- Tule Lake (California)
- Granada (Colorado)
- Topaz (Utah)
- Heart Mountain (Wyoming)
- Minidoka (Idaho)
- Poston (Arizona)
- Rohwer (Arkansas)

Internment of Japanese-Americans (Wikipedia)

3 Hearst Castle (California)
Hearst Castle (Wikipedia)

4 Miami Art Deco District (Florida)
Miami Art Deco District (Wikipedia)

5 Camino Real de Tierra Adentro: Santa Fe (New Mexico) *Extension
Camino Real de Tierra Adentro (Wikipedia)

6 Spanish Missions of the Sonoran Desert (Arizona) *potential for transnational nomination
- San Xavier del Bac Mission
- Tumacácori National Historical Park

Spanish Missions in the Sonoran Desert (Wikipedia)

7 American Craftsmen Design (California) *potential for transnational nomination
- The Gamble House (1908)
- Asilomar Conference Grounds (1913)

American Craftsmen (Wikipedia)

8 Colonial Newport (Rhode Island)
Newport Colonial Period (Wikipedia)

9 Carrizo Plain National Monument (California)
Carrizo Plain (Wikipedia)

Here are 2 US Tentative Nominations I was slightly surprised were not put forward and I think generally are deserving of world heritage status.

10 Brooklyn Bridge (New York)
Brooklyn Bridge (Wikipedia)

11 Central Park (New York)
Central Park (Wikipedia)

With about 40 accepted proposals, I think the US came out pretty well though! I am curious now, would you have seconded any of these? I actually argued against Carrizo Plain for Top Missing, but I love this place dearly. I settled for its cultural values with Painted Rock. Miami's Art Deco District was nominated, but never seconded. For me personally, I really enjoyed Miami Beach, but I was unsure how it compared to Napier (NZ). I find the Brooklyn Bridge as more worthy of inscription than the Golden Gate Bridge and Central Park is really special. Colonial Newport was my favorite of the discussed colonial historic districts, though I could accept Colonial Williamsburg (which would not run into the private property challenges that make US historic districts nearly impossible). The Gamble House and Asilomar would be wonderful inclusions on the world heritage list, but it really should be part of an Arts and Crafts movement serial nomination with England. I have zero knowledge about appropriate sites in England, so I never submitted a proposal. On top of this, it really would be nice to recognize Julia Morgan, an amazing architect. Moreover, she is the master architect who built Hearst Castle as well, which is a stunning achievement. It is bizarre to me that the Camino Real de Tierra Adentro could even be inscribed without Santa Fe? The Spanish Missions in the Sonoran Desert have overlap with the San Antonio Missions, but I think they are equally deserving of world heritage status. San Xavier del Bac (FTWHS) is incredible and Tumacácori National Historical Park is a collection of ruins that really impressed me. Both of these sites together are better preserved and more authentic than the mission ensemble (21 in total) in California. Sometimes called the Kino Missions, they are older and there would be a great opportunity to collaborate with Mexico. The Japanese Internment Camps are nearly all protected at the national level as National Monuments or National Historic Landmarks. It's really commendable how these sites of dark history have transformed following the 1980's official apology and reparations. Today, they stand as reminders of racial hysteria, failure of political leadership, and the danger of "othering". The Sinagua Cultural Landscape is a fantastic ensemble of Native American sites. Located in/around Flagstaff and the Verde Valley these serial components would add a unique culture, so far unrecognized in the American Southwest. Another site that I would have included, Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument as an extension to the already inscribed El Pinacate y Gran Desierto de Altar Biosphere. In fact, this site was going to be added to the 2017 US Tentative List, but was cancelled at the last moment. It makes sense now "who" likely cancelled it, because for the last 6 months the newly constructed border wall is cutting off this important ecological corridor between the US and Mexico.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#351 | Posted: 23 Jun 2020 13:40 
This article surprised me as I did not know the Civil Rights nomination was this far advanced. It's almost locked in as the next official nomination to follow the Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks.

How U.S. Civil Rights Movement Sites and World Heritage Relate to Today's Protests

The nomination will likely also be quite a bit larger than what was submitted to the US tentative list in 2008.

Besides the already identified Montgomery's Dexter Avenue Baptist and Birmingham's Sixteenth Street and Bethel Baptist Churches, 5 other sites are mentioned.

Ebenezer Baptist Church in Atlanta, Georgia
Central High School in Little Rock, Arkansas
Edmund Pettus Bridge in Selma, Alabama
Woolworth Department Store in Greensboro, North Carolina
Lorraine Motel in Memphis, Tennessee

Author Colvin
Partaker
#352 | Posted: 23 Jun 2020 16:18 
That's great to hear! More places to add onto road trip ideas once Coronavirus cases start declining again in the South. I don't know if it is local to my part of the country, but channel ABC is playing a special on the National African American History museum on Wednesday night. I visited the museum earlier this year, and it is well worth the visit when in DC. It also provides great context to today's current events.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#353 | Posted: 24 Jun 2020 09:56 
That is interesting, thanks for the link. Certainly that wider selection would seem more illustrative of events than just the original churches.

Also happy to see Ebenezer Baptist Church on there as I visited it, thinking it was part of the original proposal, only to find out it wasn't.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#354 | Posted: 30 Jul 2020 16:50 | Edited by: winterkjm 
US/ICOMOS Webinar 7/30/2020 (PDF): Civil Rights Movement Sites

Official Criteria: ii, vi

Dexter Avenue King Memorial Baptist Church Montgomery, Alabama
Bethel Baptist Church Birmingham, Alabama
16th Street Baptist Church Birmingham, Alabama

Expansion of tentative nomination to include a total of 13 components.

Central High School Little Rock, Arkansas
Ebenezer Baptist Church Atlanta, Georgia
Edmund Pettus Bridge Selma, Alabama
F. W. Woolworth Store Greensboro, North Carolina
Greyhound Bus Terminal and Bus Burning Site Anniston, Alabama
Lincoln Memorial Washington, D.C.
Lorraine Motel Memphis, Tennessee
Medgar and Myrlie Evers House Jackson, Mississippi
Monroe Elementary School Topeka, Kansas
Moton High School Farmville, Virginia

Author Colvin
Partaker
#355 | Posted: 30 Jul 2020 21:10 
Very apropos timing, as today was the celebration of the life of Congressman John Lewis, a Civil Rights icon who recently passed away, at Ebenezer Baptist in Atlanta. For anyone interested in an easily accessible overview of the US Civil Rights movement, which these sites commemorate, I highly recommend John Lewis' biographical graphic novel series March.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#356 | Posted: 31 Jul 2020 00:38 
I never saw this US World Heritage Gap Study Report published in Spring 2016. [See pages 26, 30, 34]

So many sites identified by our community in the TOP Missing endeavor are listed here. Some also that we never thought of.

Author tsunami
Partaker
#357 | Posted: 31 Jul 2020 05:06 | Edited by: tsunami 
I just happened to see the list of Former Tentative Sites of the USA and noticed that the list include 21 national parks. I don't know why they were dropped, but that is too bad because I have been to 17 of them.

Also noticed that 5 of them in the State of Utah where they are collectively known as the National Parks on the Grand Circle were collectively dropped. Arches and Bryce are particularly amazing.

Many of them were added in 1990 and dropped in 1996. All current Tentative Sites were added either in 2008 or 2017. Maybe all of them will be dropped at one point.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#358 | Posted: 31 Jul 2020 11:50 
These two tentative nominations are definitely happening. Huge efforts have already been made.

Hopewell Ceremonial Earthworks (2008)
Civil Rights Movement Sites (2008)

However, these nominations (below) will likely not be seen by the UNESCO World Heritage Committee until 2026 or later. If the current pace continues 4 official submissions = inscriptions since 2008 (Mount Vernon was withdrawn), means we might expect 4 more official/submissions = inscriptions between now and 2032. I put in bold sites that I would imagine, might come up in the next 5-10 years, though this is pure conjecture.

Thomas Jefferson Buildings (2008)
Mount Vernon (2008)
Serpent Mound (2008)
Okefenokee National Wildlife Refuge (2008)
Petrified Forest National Park (2008)
White Sands National Monument (2008)

Brooklyn Bridge (2017)
Ellis Island (2017)
Central Park (2017)
Early Chicago Skyscrapers (2017)
Pacific Remote Islands Marine National Monument (2017)
California Current Conservation Complex (2017)
Marianas Trench Marine National Monument (2017)
Marine Protected Areas of American Samoa (2017)
Moravian Church Settlements (2017)
Big Bend National Park (2017)

Author Khuft
Partaker
#359 | Posted: 31 Jul 2020 15:52 
winterkjm:
Brooklyn Bridge (2017)

It seems that NYC is in parallel looking at ideas to revamp Brooklyn Bridge - ie. make it more pedestrian and bike friendly. I doubt ICOMOS would look favourably at the current proposals:

https://www.vanalen.org/projects/reimagining-brooklyn-bridge/

Author Zoe
Partaker
#360 | Posted: 1 Aug 2020 01:06 
I have serious doubts about White Sands National Park due to the military presence even with the new park designation.

Page  Page 24 of 28:  « Previous  1  ...  23  24  25  26  27  28  Next » 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 USA

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑