for World Heritage Travellers

| Forums | Reply | Search |             Start | The List | Community | Blog
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /

USA

Page  Page 22 of 23:  « Previous  1  ...  20  21  22  23  Next »  
Author Colvin
Registered
#316 | Posted: 26 May 2018 09:04 
That was an awesome review of the recent activity at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park by Michael Ayers. I wish I were closer to the Big Island these days to go see the Kilauea eruption, although the toxic gas is certainly a concern to take in mind. The ash cloud in Michael's review looks pretty impressive. Incidentally, for bicyclists, the route Michael talked about from Hilo would be very green, though as he mentioned, the vegetation will block any good views. The route from Kona is a lot more barren and exposed, as it goes over former lava fields, though there are some nice views of the ocean (and there's an optional detour to South Point, aka Ka Lae, the southernmost point of the US). The area around Kailua-Kona on the west coast has lots of coffee plantations, and if you ride north of Kona, you can retrace the route of the biking portion of the Ironman World Championship.

Author mrayers
Registered
#317 | Posted: 26 May 2018 14:12 
Thanks, Colvin! The plumes actually increased quite a bit just over a day after that photo was taken, but by that time I was already on the way to Kona, via the north coast route. Along the way, I attempted to see the endangered Palila birds, which now live only on the upper slopes of Mauna Kea. Foiled, once again, as just after I had ridden up to the 2000 meter mark, the fog rolled in (normal Fog, not Vog ) and I couldn't see beyond 5 meters in front of my face. Once again, right place, right time, no visibility. Sigh. I left from the Kona aiprort, so I didn't get a chance to get to the SW corner, but I suspect you're right that that would be the most scenic place. In general, however, I found riding on in Hawaii to be less that perfect, because there is too much motorized traffic almost everywhere. ;-( Maui was even worse than the Big Island in that regard, though the ride up Haleakala was pleasantly quiet, and I successfully saw an 'Akohekohe, another endangered bird, on that day!

Author Colvin
Registered
#318 | Posted: 27 May 2018 16:06 
Glad you got to see more of the Big Island and Maui on your trip, even if the weather wasn't great for you on Mauna Kea. Haleakala on Maui really is a special place, so I'm glad you had a good visit. I understand what you mean about the rest of Maui, though; the roads are so narrow and trafficked that it would probably be challenging to ride there.

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#319 | Posted: 27 May 2018 17:57 
Will just second that recommendation from Colvin, a really great review and photo mrayers thanks for that!

Author Durian
Registered
#320 | Posted: 8 Oct 2018 08:33 
Newark Earthwork

The report claimed that the site got approval from U.S. Department of Interior to prepare a nomination for World Heritage designation

https://www.newarkadvocate.com/story/news/local/2018/09/14/our-view-time-right-fully- pursue-world-heritage-status/1257330002/

Author winterkjm
Registered
#321 | Posted: 9 Oct 2018 09:18 
I emailed the organization preparing the nomination. They are optimistic for 2020 or 2021. Its not finalized yet at this point.

Author winterkjm
Registered
#322 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 20:44 | Edited by: winterkjm 
Interesting changes from the original 2016 FLW nomination. All information is from the official [revised] nomination dossier.

Name Change: The 20th-century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright

- Two of the components of the original series, Price Tower and the
Marin County Civic Center, are no longer included, leaving eight
components.
- Only criterion (ii) is now proposed as justification [criterion (i) was
dropped at the suggestion of ICOMOS].

All changed to the original nomination are in green, which is useful in recognizing how much changes have been made to improve the dossier and respond to the ICOMOS evaluation.

Brief Synthesis
The 20th-Century Architecture of Frank Lloyd Wright is a series of eight buildings that illustrate a full range of ways in which Wright's unique approach to architectural design fused form with spirit to influence the course of architecture in both North America and beyond. The components, located in six states across the continental United States of America, were designed and built over a period spanning the first half of the twentieth century. Each has strong individual characteristics, presenting a specific aspect or facet of a new architectural solution to the needs of Americans for housing, worship, work, and leisure. The buildings employ geometric abstraction and spatial manipulation as a response to functional and emotional needs and are based literally or figuratively on nature's forms and principles. In adapting inspirations from global cultures, they break free of traditional forms and facilitate modern life. Wright's solutions would go on to influence architecture and design throughout the world, and continue to do so to this day.

The two dropped components were certainly the outlying examples of FLW architecture originally chosen and were perhaps hard-pressed to argue their inclusion as they are so unlike the other components. The dossier also seeks to better address the historical significance and reasoning behind these 8 components while discussing FLW's impact on modern architecture. No expert, but I must say the nomination does address many of the concerns/doubts expressed by ICOMOS. I do hope to see this nomination inscribed!

https://franklloydwright.org/eight-buildings-designed-by-frank-lloyd-wright-nominated -to-the-unesco-world-heritage-list/?fbclid=IwAR15nMubKYeiTPVvzn7w2bo_ONorxlmM7IipbWvJ fJ1eBnr9WoErjabKOdc

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#323 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 21:24 
Thanks for that winterkjm.

Just for ease the remaining eight are:
Unity Temple
Robie House
Taliesin
Hollyhock House
Fallingwater
Jacobs House
Taliesin West
Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum

Also as we are currently in the states and planning a trip to Dinosaur National Monument we are cheered to hear of another impending Government Shutdown!

I don't think our timing is great :)

Author winterkjm
Registered
#324 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 21:32 | Edited by: winterkjm 
No worries this time, there is a newly established contingency plan which will keep all National Parks open! You have no worries, unless perhaps you are doing some type of special tour. If the gov't does actually shut down, many of the educational and visitor services will be limited, but all NPS parks will remain open.

I've been doing my research, since I am visited 3 National Parks and a National Monument this coming weekend!

Author meltwaterfalls
Registered
#325 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 22:09 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
Ah that is good to know.

I'm not sure we will get out there, but fingers crossed.

Perhaps it is us that brings 'bad luck' to Capitol Hill. ;)

Where are you planning on heading this weekend?

Author Colvin
Registered
#326 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 23:22 
Sorry to hear about your bad timing again, meltwaterfalls. If it's any comfort, I'm certain no one in the United States will blame a shutdown on you. :-) Hope the visit to Dinosaur National Monument works out for you; I've never been there, but I've heard great things from friends who have visited.

Hope your visits to the national parks and monument work out for you as well, winterkjm.

Author mrayers
Registered
#327 | Posted: 20 Dec 2018 23:52 
winterkjm:
No worries this time, there is a newly established contingency plan which will keep all National Parks open!

I also thank winterkjm for that piece of information. Like the rest of you, I am a little nervous, since I recently added Carlsbad Caverns to an upcoming trip at the end of January. And, it is quite an expensive and inconvenient addition, at that. I have been hoping that even if the asylum fails to get their job done once again, that any shutdown wouldn't last for a full month, but you never know. Good to hear that the Parks might not be affected this time. :-)

Author winterkjm
Registered
#328 | Posted: 21 Dec 2018 00:07 | Edited by: winterkjm 
meltwaterfalls:
Where are you planning on heading this weekend?

Road Trip - 4 Days
Los Angeles to Las Cruces
Las Cruces to Carlsbad
Carlsbad to Tucson
Tucson to Los Angeles

Revisit TWHS: White Sand National Monument
Visit WHS: Carlsbad Cavers National Park
Visit Former TWHS: Guadalupe Mountains National Park
Revisit Former TWHS: Saguaro National Park

Author mrayers
Registered
#329 | Posted: 21 Dec 2018 01:50 
winterkjm:
Visit WHS: Carlsbad Cavers National Park

Good. Tell them to keep the lights on until I get there next month. ;-)

Author winterkjm
Registered
#330 | Posted: 22 Dec 2018 22:34 
NPS Update on Government Shutdown

Plenty of National Parks in the Southwest are at least partially open (*Utah and Arizona had contingency plans to keep their most popular parks fully open using state funds). National Park sites that are historic, have delicate resources (Petrified Forest National Park, Casa Grande National Monument) are completely closed. Other parks are open, but with no visitor services. For example, you can hike at Saguaro National Park, but don't expect to pay a fee, buy food, talk to a ranger, or enter the visitor center.

Sadly for me. White Sands National Monument being adjacent to military facilities is 100% locked up and padlocked. I've been there before, but it was so enjoyable to explore I was really looking forward to a second visit. Carlsbad Caverns National Park is not closed fully as you can access all roads and hike in the park, but all caves are closed. So, I just might be the only world heritage enthusiast that explored and hiked several miles outside the caves! Some aspects of the national park outside the caves are included in the criteria for inscription, Advisory Body Evaluation, and so on. I suppose this is better than nothing.

Ironically, if my wife and I had brought the necessary travel documents we would have crossed the border to get the hell out of the USA and see the Archaeological Zone of Paquimé, Casas Grandes!

How about you meltwaterfalls? How are your plans evolving? I hope this dysfunctional country has not left you in miserable circumstances?

https://www.abqjournal.com/1260694/access-to-parks-in-us-southwest-a-mixed-bag-during -shutdown.html

Page  Page 22 of 23:  « Previous  1  ...  20  21  22  23  Next » 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries / USA Top

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®