World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /  

South Korea

Page  Page 20 of 21:  « Previous  1  ...  18  19  20  21  Next »

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#286 | Posted: 27 Dec 2019 12:19 
BTW, I still see Gaya Tumuli slated for 2021. Korea no longer has a nomination for 2021. The Gaya Tumuli will be submitted in 2021 and evaluated by the WHC in 2022.

http://www.hidomin.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=407881

http://www.ksmnews.co.kr/default/index_view_page.php?idx=275231&part_idx=270

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#287 | Posted: 22 Jan 2020 23:04 | Edited by: winterkjm 
5 new nominations were submitted to the Cultural Heritage Administration of Korea for Tentative List consideration. In addition, a discussion will take place on the selection of priority nominations for listing in the near future. Official documents can be found here, all files are in Korean.

Candidates for Tentative List Update
Goryeo Ruins of Namhan River Basin Temples in Wonju
Yangju Hoeamsa, archetype of Zen Temple in East Asia
Seongju Royal Placenta Chambers
Catholic Relics in Chungnam Province
Buan Goryeo Celadon Kilns

Priority Nomination(s)
Hanyangdoseong, the Seoul City Wall (Cultural)
Daegokcheon Stream Petroglyphs (Cultural)

https://www.yna.co.kr/view/AKR20200123124700057

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#288 | Posted: 31 Jan 2020 01:36 | Edited by: winterkjm 
winterkjm:
Candidates for Tentative List Update
Goryeo Ruins of Namhan River Basin Temples in Wonju
Yangju Hoeamsa, archetype of Zen Temple in East Asia
Seongju Royal Placenta Chambers
Catholic Relics in Chungnam Province
Buan Goryeo Celadon Kilns

The Cultural Administration of Korea rejected all 5 of these potential tentative nominations! Strict requirements to demonstrate OUV, management plans, maps/buffer zones, and at least basic comparative analysis is quite impressive just to get a spot on the official tentative list. I am more surprised that "Catholic Relics in Chungnam Province" did not make it since, it seemed the strongest of this specific batch of candidates.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#289 | Posted: 17 Mar 2020 10:43 
Cultural Heritage Administration plans to jointly seek UNESCO listing of DMZ with North Korea

"CHA plans to submit a tentative list to UNESCO by December jointly with North Korea."

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200317000507

Author davidyao
Partaker
#290 | Posted: 21 Mar 2020 09:03 
NK media outlets criticize Seoul's plan to jointly seek UNESCO listing of DMZ

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20200320000637

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#291 | Posted: 18 Apr 2020 13:25 | Edited by: winterkjm 
nfmungard:
I am not a fan of splitting WHS up in any case, disregarding the location or country. Jongmyo and Changdeokgung are literally in walking distance and to me should have been combined from the start. City Walls Nomination is still out there. I could also see the traditional neighborhoods in Buam-dong being an idea...

To me it seems the Koreans are cutting and slicing OUV in small portions instead of combining them into larger chunks. They are not alone in this, though. Germany does it, too.

I thought this conversation was more appropriate to be held here than in the Top 50 Missing forum. The posts from nfmungard really got me thinking, which sites in and around Seoul would be logical to group together? Which might even be ideal as an intact whole, for tourism, and without too much sacrifice of national prestige in "loosing" a WHS.

Royal Hanyang: Foundation of the Joseon Dyansty (5 components)
- All sites are connected to the foundation of the dynasty and located within Seoul City Wall, the importance of the Confucian spatial layout of a capital would be essential in their justification for OUV. Some of these components can be viewed HERE.

Changdeokgung Palace Complex + Jongmyo Shrine
- Extenstion to include: (1) Munmyo Confucian Shrine and Academy (Seonggyungwan), (2) Hanyangdoseong, Seoul City Wall, (3) Sajikdan Altar

Capital Defense Fortifications: Namhansanseong & Bukhansaneong (2 components)
- Namhansanseong + [Extension - Bukhansanseong]

Both fortresses were primarily constructed to defend the capital from invasion as well as a planned location of refuge in time of emergency. Indeed, both fortresses have deep connections to the Manchu (Qing) Invasion of Korea, Namhansanseong being the last line of defense and Bukhansanseong being built afterwards because of the failure to adequately to defend the capital. Arguably, these sites could be combined with the ones in Seoul, but considering their location (Namhansanseong is located 20 km from Changdeokgung) and their origin not being essential to the foundation of the capital, but actually being constructed in 1624 and 1711 (centuries after the establishment of the Joseon Dynasty).

Royal Tombs of the Joseon Dynasty WHS would remain the same. Already 18 components and none of the tombs are located within Seoul City Wall. This WHS is unique in its completeness and elaborate burial tradition from the early 15th century until the early 20th century.

If the Jeong-dong: Old Legation Quarter proposal ever moved forward, I think it would be a stretch to combine this with any other already inscribed site in Seoul. Firstly, because this district and its importance is from the end of 19th and beginning of the 20th century, during the Empire of Korea. The OUV would be connected to the modernization of the country and a fusion of indigenous/regional beliefs with those from the West.

To summarize:
3 WHS in Seoul and 1 potential candidate for the future (not on the tentative list), compared to the current status of 4 WHS and 1 tentative nomination actively seeking inscription, with quite a few potential candidates for the future.

Author nfmungard
Partaker
#292 | Posted: 18 Apr 2020 13:29 | Edited by: nfmungard 
winterkjm
No love for the traditional buildings/districts of Seoul? Legation Quarter seems different enough to warrant a separate inscription. Just a bit annoying that I went twice to Seoul and didn't have it on the radar then. And repeat: DMZ may not be feasible for the time being , but it is a Top Missing to me.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#293 | Posted: 18 Apr 2020 13:50 | Edited by: winterkjm 
nfmungard:
No love for the traditional buildings of Seoul?

I do love some of those neighborhoods, but it's without question that quite a bit of the authenticity has been lost or at least diluted. The best traditional villages in Korea are still Hahoe, Yangdong, and perhaps Naganeupseong which may be on the shortlist in the coming years. I have also heard that Kaeseong in North Korea has large areas of intact traditional buildings, which are claimed by some to be more authentic than what remains in Seoul.

nfmungard:
Legation Quarter seems different enough to warrant a separate inscription. Just a bit annoying that I went twice to Seoul and didn't have it on the radar then.

You know, I wonder if such a nomination will materialize. It was rumored to be a candidates back in 2016, but I have heard little since. It's clear the Cultural Heritage Administration of Korea is interested in preserving more modern sites of late (even Japanese Colonial sites), and has been considering modern candidates for world heritage status. Jeong-dong makes sense, because the districts historic structures are intact and connected, but perhaps more importantly to Korea, it tells an important (largely unknown) story of the Empire of Korea trying to modernize (in some ways boldly) before Japanese Colonization, countering the claim that Japan "brought" modernity to Korea. I wouldn't feel bad about not visiting the area though, some of the historic sites have only recently opened to the public, and more will open in the coming years. I think the visitor experience about "what's visitable and on display" will only continue to improve. In addition, certain areas were being restored for years between 2008 and 2016, including re-connecting historic paths/alleys in the district. Many sites including Jungmyeongjeon Hall (which used to be part of Deoksugung Palace, but is now long separated as the city modernized) is now an interesting (albeit) small History Museum about the transition from the Empire of Korea to Japanese rule.

Author elsslots
Admin
#294 | Posted: 18 Apr 2020 13:50 
winterkjm:
If the Jeong-dong: Old Legation Quarter proposal ever moved forward, I think it would be a stretch to combine this with any other already inscribed site in Seoul. Firstly, because this district and its importance is from the end of 19th and beginning of the 20th century, during the Empire of Korea. The OUV would be connected to the modernization of the country and a fusion of indigenous/regional beliefs with those from the West.

I do agree that it would be a separate site. I visited it in 2017 and wrote about it in my Dutch blog. I did not find there was a lot of it left. Compared to the already inscribed and much more intact Kulangsu and to the Concessions of Shanghai for example I do not think that it stands out enough (although it undoubtedly is important on the Korean scale of things).

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#295 | Posted: 18 Apr 2020 14:00 | Edited by: winterkjm 
elsslots:
I did not find there was a lot of it left.

The trouble is, there is more there than whats typically open to the public.

Besides Jungmyeongjeon Hall, The British Legation Building (now part of the embassy complex) and the Habib House (US Embassy) certainly stand out (though the later is mostly re-constructed/modernized over the last several decades, as it remains the home of the current US Ambassador!). This article includes some excellent pictures, both sites generally remain closed to the public, but are sometimes visitable on special "open house" days to the public.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20190923000806

elsslots:
I do not think that it stands out enough

Probably not for Top Missing.

Author JulioMoreno
Partaker
#296 | Posted: 27 Apr 2020 10:02 
winterkjm
winterkjm
I'd agree that this is definitely not my pick in Korea. I am glad Suncheon and other wetlands are up for consideration next yr. Been to 3 of the 6 on that list.

Author kintante
Partaker
#297 | Posted: 30 Apr 2020 17:22 
For those who are interested I present my itinerary for Korea, that included all WHS (several components if available) and seven TWHS.

Day 1: Arrival on Sunday 11am. Train to city center, metro to hotel (close to Jongmyo Shrine), walk to Changdeokgung, visit palace (including garden), walk to Jongmyo and visit, metro and walk to Jeongneung cluster and visit
Day 2: metro and train to Suwon, visit Hwaseong (complete wall loop, palace and museum), train to Seoul, walk to Gyeongbokgung (not WHS) with stop at a town wall gate, walk to city wall, walk back to old town.
Day 3: taxi and flight to Jeju. From airport all transport with rental car. Drive to Hallasan NP, hike to Mt Hallasan, drive to Geomunoreum with stop at Sangumburi crater (not WHS), visit Geomunoreum visitor center and reserve tour for next day, drive to Seongsan Ilchulbong and climb crater, drive to hotel
Day 4: Drive to Geomunoreum and tour, drive to Manjanggul cave and visit, drive to airport, flight to Seoul, rental car to hotel
Day 5: drive to Namhansanseong, walk 50% of wall and visit palace, drive to Heolleung tombs and visit, drive to Oeam village and visit, drive to Magoska Sansa temple and visit, drive to Gongju, visit Gongsanseong fortress
Day 6: Visit Songsan-ri tombs, drive to Buyeo and visit Baekje components, drive to Donam Seowon and visit, drive to Iksan and visit Mireuksa and Wanggung-ri, drive to Gochang and visit dolmen site, drive to Gochang tidal flats for sun down, drive to hotel in Naju
Day 7: drive to Unjusa temple and visit, drive to Hwasun domen site and visit, drive to Seonamsa and visit, drive to Naganseupseong and visit, drive to Suncheon tidal flats and visit, drive to Namgye Seowon and visit, drive to hotel in Hamyang
Day 8: drive to Haeinsa and visit, drive to Goryeong tumuli and visit, drive to Gyeongju, visit Seokguram and Bulguksa, visit Gyeongju monuments, drive to Yangdong village and visit, drive back to Gyeongju and visit by night
Day 9: drive to Hahoe village and visit, drive to Byeongsan Seowon and visit, drive to Sosu Seowon and visit, drive to Buseoksa temple and visit, drive to Ondal fortress and visit, drive back to Seoul and return car
Day 10: Short stroll in Seoul and flight back home

A few remarks: the trip involved a lot of driving and 30'000-50'000 steps per day. You have to work around Monday closures in Seoul region. I usually skip lunch and get up early to maximize time. Jeju could have been done in one day, as there are tons of flights from early to late. I went in February and didn't have much traffic. I heard in high season you need more patience on the streets. Ordering food in the south is not fun if you don't speak Korean.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#298 | Posted: 30 Apr 2020 19:02 | Edited by: winterkjm 
This is a great itinerary! I included a couple comments and suggestions.

kintante:
walk to Gyeongbokgung (not WHS)

I would suggest Deoksugung over Gyeongbokgung, the later is mostly a reconstruction, though there are some important elements that are authentic Joseon-era structures form the re-building period in the 1800's. Dekosugung is more authentic overall and the neighborhood of Jeong-dong is worth exploring.

kintante:
Day 5: drive to Namhansanseong, walk 50% of wall and visit palace, drive to Heolleung tombs and visit, drive to Oeam village and visit, drive to Magoska Sansa temple and visit, drive to Gongju, visit Gongsanseong fortress

This day is not really feasible (as is). Half the wall at Namhansanseong could easily take 2-3 hours minimum, a lot of elevation gain (tight on time, skip the temporary palace). Magoksa, while seemingly close to Gongju, is actually a surprising detour. If you skip Magoksa, you should be fine. I see that your itinerary includes Seonamsa and Buseoksa (which are both more impressive and authentic anyway). Magoksa actually did not impress ICOMOS much, in fact they originally wanted the temple dropped from the nomination. I liked Magoksa, but Buseoksa was far more special in my opinion.

kintante:
drive to Ondal fortress and visit

This probably is a little too ambitious (time permitting), Hahoe takes some time (2 hours should be sufficient). Ondal Fortress is interesting, but perhaps not worth the detour after a long delay.

kintante:
visit Mireuksa and Wanggung-ri

Glad you placed Mireuksa on your itinerary, the largest stone pagoda in Korea will be worth it. Its construction of 639 and its dimensions, size, and form are the pinnacle of what remains of Baekje culture. Questions will inevitably come to mind after its dis-assembly and then being carefully put back together over 20 years, but the fact that most of the stones are original and are placed as designed, I feel the authenticity remains intact.

kintante:
visit Gyeongju monuments

If possible, it would be really worthwhile to hike in Namsan Mountain in Gyeongju National Park. The rock-hewn Buddhas and stone pagodas are exceptional. Most visitors only visit the tombs and observatory, which can be a little under-whelming.

Author kintante
Partaker
#299 | Posted: 1 May 2020 02:33 
winterkjm
sorry that was not clear. this WAS my itinerary last February. Just wanted to show fellow travellers what is possible to visit in Korea when you go Rucek style.

Author winterkjm
Partaker
#300 | Posted: 1 May 2020 02:55 
WOW! So you completed this very ambitious itinerary, that is very impressive. I am sorry for the misunderstanding, I assumed you were running by your itinerary to the forum at large, which is done on occasion here. Have you written any reviews for any sites on this itinerary? I would be interested in reading them.

Page  Page 20 of 21:  « Previous  1  ...  18  19  20  21  Next » 
Countries www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Countries /
 South Korea

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑