World Heritage Site

for World Heritage Travellers

Forum: Start | Profile | Search |         Website: Start | The List | Community |
Does this one count? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Does this one count? /  

800+

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next »

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#31 | Posted: 17 Dec 2019 11:50 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Colvin:
Congratulations to Zoe, who just passed #800 with a group of Mexican sites,

I have just used Wayback Machine to look at Zoe's visited WHS count across the past 2 years!!
On Dec 22 2017 it was 311
On Dec 17 2019 it was 802
So 491 new WHS seen in c725 days - plus of course an enormous number of T List sites (Zoe doesn't keep a count of those , though she does some useful reviews!)
That is an average of a new WHS every 1.5 days every day across 2 years! Now we all know of course that there are areas, particularly of Europe, where seeing 3 WHS in a day is perfectly achievable (indeed there are some where more can be achieved if one doesn't spend much time at each and travels hard between them).

But to keep this rate up across 2 years must take some stamina and organisation!!
A reasonable number of days must surely be "lost" on the mundane "logistics" of travel - on full day international flights, arranging visas, washing the clothes, missing a flight/train/bus, resting etc etc. Even simply doing the research and booking the transport/hotels etc etc. And of course other interests such as Scuba diving will result in some visits eating up rather more than the allowable "1.5 days" at a single WHS.

So - how many days across the past 2 years have you spent "on the road" Zoe?? And how do you maintain such a remarkable "cadence"? Some insights into your "travel style" would, I am sure be of interest to other WHS travellers. Do you take time off and return home or is the travel as "continuous" as it seems. How far ahead do you plan/book? What are upcoming objectives? etc

Author clyde
Partaker
#32 | Posted: 17 Dec 2019 12:46 
That's really impressive Zoe! Apparently over the past 2 years you visited more than I visited in a lifetime!

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#33 | Posted: 17 Dec 2019 13:09 
Wow Zoe, as someone that thinks he travels a lot that is truly amazing! Would love to hear more about how you make it happen!

Author Zoe
Partaker
#34 | Posted: 17 Dec 2019 15:11 
I travel very efficiently usually renting a car and avoiding tours wherever I can, staying in historical old town overnight to check them out instead if "wasting" a day (not always of course). The extra money I spend not traveling on buses saves time and thus I spend less nights in hotels which in turn saves money. I do somewhat skim on "landscapes" especially wine regions. I also made it a rule if someone travels with me they have to follow my style. 3 days Venice I'm totally okay with but just staying in San Gimignano because a shop claims they have the best Gelato in the world had to be vetoed. Oh and I plan trips while on a trip - evening in the hotel or when taking a bus through Peru, airport waiting areas. I guess I want to thank you guys for making the website to enable me to plot a trail to cover WHS along the way. I also don't do art galeries and museums unless they really interest me or are part of the archeological site.

I have visited some places not ticked off such as Okavango Delta and NZ South Island because I want to go back and see more. Mount Doom has to be conquered!

If I do travel next year I would revisit Israel, Bulgaria, Romania, UK & Ireland, in summer I usually stay in Canada and my wish is to go on safari in September to see the great migration. However I do want to dive and surf here and there which I haven't done as much lately as before.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#35 | Posted: 17 Dec 2019 16:15 | Edited by: Solivagant 
So - how many days "on the road" across those 2 years - were you travelling all the time away from home/work?

Author Zoe
Partaker
#36 | Posted: 18 Dec 2019 00:12 
I don't remember 2018 lol
This year I was away for 7-8 months. I don't have a real home at the moment just places to stay over. My NZ student visa is also expired already, so sad.

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#37 | Posted: 18 Dec 2019 04:36 | Edited by: Solivagant 
Zoe:
I don't remember 2018 lol

Yes, that must indeed be a "problem" when taking in "so much"! Just "remembering" it all!

Everyone to their own style. And I am not criticising anyone else's (indeed I respect the energy and problem solving which must go into such high speed trips) - just interested in different travelling approaches and how someone who travels in a very very concentrated way sees the pluses and minuses of the result for them. I understand of course that the uncertainties of life tend to push one into trying to visit as much as possible whist one can - who knows if they will be able to see something later in life.

But, ideally, WHS need pre-visit preparation and post-visit reflection to make the most of them. Your "punishing" travel style must make that very difficult. And I am a "fine one" to speak on such matters - I remember many years ago doing "17 WHS in 17 days" in Mexico (that can be beaten easily now since the inscription of extra sites) but at least after a 17 day trip one has time to reflect on those days and on what they have seen. I don't think I could keep up with back to back to back ......... similarly packed visits. Everything would tend to blur into ..... ?

Out of interest Zoe - how long did you spend in Colombia?? You picked up 7 of its WHS ( i.e missing Malpelo apparently) - including Los Katios and a visit to the Chiribiquete area if not the core zone. (i presume you didn't go out of the way to see its particular Qapac Nan). Plus some TWHS.

We have just returned from a 24 day trip to Colombia (excluding international flight days) - also by car and picked up 5 WHS plus 9 T List. I just couldn't be bothered to go out of the way to see Los Katios for a quick visit given the problems of getting in and also the fact that we have seen (and given appropriate time to) similar Natural sites elsewhere in Latin America. Similarly with Chiribiquete - would it repay the time, effort and cost?
We had visited all our 5 WHS after 16 days and could probably have done it in 14 if we had missed out some aspects such as visits to Condors and flown out of Cartagena instead of going back to Bogota etc etc (but would still have missed Los Katios and Chribiquete). I wouldn't like to try it in much fewer. And we had some 12 hour road travelling days as well on those notorious "Colombian roads"!!

Els is on a 20 (??) day trip and will be trying to pick up the same 5 plus some sort of visit to Chiribiquete (?). But that entire trip is based on public transport. I think she will have done "well"!!

Author Zoe
Partaker
#38 | Posted: 18 Dec 2019 14:14 
I actually copy and paste the official site description, reading it before, during, after the visit. I'll reply about Columbia in the other thread.

Author clyde
Partaker
#39 | Posted: 18 Dec 2019 15:26 
Solivagant, I must confess that I'm definitely a huge fan of your detailed reviews and "reflections". Sometimes, I even print them instead of the official Unesco information when visiting the same sites. So in a way, your "reflections" help me drift to the faraway places I haven't visited yet. Keep them coming :)

Author Solivagant
Partaker
#40 | Posted: 19 Dec 2019 02:20 
clyde:
Solivagant, I must confess that I'm definitely a huge fan of your detailed reviews and "reflections"

Thanks very much for that Clyde.
I am sure many others find them TLTR - but I try to write them to be of use to others who might be thinking of or are actually going to these WHS.

Author meltwaterfalls
Partaker
#41 | Posted: 19 Dec 2019 08:49 | Edited by: meltwaterfalls 
I'm with Clyde, whilst I don't get to use Solivagant's reviews as much as I used to, they are very useful when planning (or dreaming) future trips.

Author watkinstravel
Partaker
#42 | Posted: 20 Dec 2019 17:46 
I definitely agree with the usefulness and inspiration of Solivagant's reviews and general commentary in other areas as well.

Author christravelblog
Partaker
#43 | Posted: 21 Dec 2019 05:46 | Edited by: christravelblog 
Wow that's so many places in 2 years!!! My goal is to do like a couple of dozen a year sometimes just 20.
BUT, they are (for me) far away and difficult to reach. I still need to do MOST of Europe (and I live there). I could do all of Europe in a a year with own car so the count would up crazy. There is a reason I do far away things first; as I'm healthy now, can afford it (mostly), and I like to see more cultures.

Europe will come one days.

The coming 7-8 days doing all the WHS and TWHS (and former TWHS) in Benin.

Author Zoe
Partaker
#44 | Posted: 23 Dec 2019 20:46 
You'd be amazed how many people say they will "do it one day" and never get around to it so I "just do it". Europe is generally easy access so you guys are lucky to reach them quickly but I better combine a lot, in the end that saves money too not flying back and forth. Honestly West Africa interest me little at the moment but I envy you get to these places with what seems such an ease? I once had a trip lined up Benin to Ghana but the solo expenses were just too high.

Speaking of, with Thomas at 800 any day now I had a look at his "missing" map and he also misses plenty in Europe and North America that are easy.

Author Colvin
Partaker
#45 | Posted: 16 Jan 2020 19:35 
And joining the 800+ club today is Thomas Buechler, with a site from Tatarstan. Congratulations, Thomas!

Page  Page 3 of 4:  « Previous  1  2  3  4  Next » 
Does this one count? www.worldheritagesite.org Forum / Does this one count? /
 800+

Your Reply Click this icon to move up to the quoted message

?
Only registered users are allowed to post here. Please, enter your username/password details upon posting a message, or register first.

www.worldheritagesite.org Forum Powered by Chat Forum Software miniBB ®
 ⇑