Shell Mounds (Middens)
A shell midden or shell mound is an archaeological feature comprised mainly of mollusk shells.
The connection belongs to History connections.
- Australian Convict Sites: Old Government House - "shells from Aboriginal middens were used to strengthen household mortar" Link
- Banc d'Arguin
- Everglades: "Shell mounds still exist today within the park, giving archaeologists and anthropologists evidence of the raw materials available to the indigenous people for tool construction" (Wiki)
- Fraser Island Link
- Ha Long Bay: Soi Nhu culture
- Kakadu National Park Link
- Namib Sand Sea: At Sandwich Harbour and Sylvia Hill (nom file)
- Neolithic Orkney: Skara Brae Link
- Rock Islands: Remnants of midden deposits (AB ev)
- Saloum Delta
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Shell Mounds (Middens)?
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source