Hindu pilgrimage sites
- Bali Subak system "This temple is a pilgrimage site and redistributive center for more than 250 Balinese subaks, which bring offerings each year during the festival of the Goddess of the Lake," (Ulun Danu Batur Temple - Nom File)
- Champaner-Pavagadh The Kalikamata Temple on top of Pavagadh Hill is considered to be an important shrine, attracting large numbers of pilgrims throughout the year (AB ev)
- Chitwan National Park Bikram Baba at Kasara and Balmiki Ashram in Tribeni, pilgrimage places for Hindus from nearby areas and India (AB ev)
- Chola Temples brihadeswar temple is one of the biggest temples and a major destination for pilgrims
- Kathmandu Valley Pashupatinath Temple - Thousands of pilgrims from all over the world come to pay homage to this temple, that is also known as 'The Temple of Living Beings' (wiki)
- Pattadakal major pilgrim center for karnataka state
- Sun Temple, Konarak "Orissa came under Muslim control in 1568. There were constant attempts to destroy the Hindu temples....the Pandas of Konark took away the presiding deity of the Sun temple and buried it under the sand for years. Latter on the image was said to have been removed to Puri and kept in the temple of Indra, in the compound of the Puri Jagannath temple. According to others, the Puja image of the Konark temple is yet to be discovered. But others hold the view that the Sun image now kept in the National Museum of Delhi was the presiding deity of the Konark Sun temple..... The Sun worship in the Konark temple ended upon the removal of the sacred image from the temple. This resulted in the end of pilgrimages to Konark. " (Wiki)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Hindu pilgrimage sites
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source