A cirque is an amphitheatre-like valley head, formed by erosion. Cirque must be named.
- Causses and Cévennes Cirque de Navacelles, Cirque du Bout du Monde (Grande Causses)
- Decorated cave of Pont d'Arc The main opening to the cave is located in the Cirque d'Estre (AB ev)
- El Pinacate Ten enormous, deep and almost perfectly circular craters, believed to have been formed by a combination of eruptions and collapses, also contribute to the dramatic beauty of the site whose exceptional combination of features are of great scientific interest. (ICOMOS)
- Glacier parks Kings Throne Link
- Incense Route of the Negev Part of the site is situated in the Makhtesh Ramon. "The term cirque is also used for amphitheater-shaped, fluvial-erosion features. For example an approximately 200 km2 anticlinal erosion cirque is found at 30 35 N, 34 45 E on the southern boundary of the Negev highlands. This erosional cirque or makhtesh was formed by intermittent river flow in the Makhtesh Ramon cutting through layers of limestone and chalk, which results in cirque walls with a sheer 200 m drop" (Wiki)
- Laponian Area Well-developed geomorphological features that illustrate the origin and ongoing processes in the area include ... glacial cirques... (AB ev)
- Madriu-Perafita-Claror Valley glacial cirque of Estanyons (AB ev)
- Pitons of Reunion The peak of the Piton des Neiges lies at the centre of three such scarp-rimmed 'cirques' of Salazie, Mafate, Cilaos and the infilled 'palaeocirque' of Bébour (AB ev)
- Pyrénées - Mont Perdu the precipitous northern slopes are carved into three sheer-walled glacial cirques, including Cirque de Gavarnie (UNEP-WCMC)
- Sagarmatha National Park the Western Cwm (cwm, pronounced coom, is Welsh for a bowl shaped valley/cirque) is a broad, flat, gently undulating glacial valley basin terminating at the foot of the Lhotse Face of Mount Everest (wiki) Link
- Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch "a great abundance and diversity of geomorphological features such as Ushaped glacial valleys, cirques, horn peaks, valley glaciers and moraines" (AB ev)
- Waterton Glacier International Peace Park Iceberg Cirque in Glacier NP, Cameron Lake in Waterton Link
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Cirques
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source