An extremophile is an organism that thrives in physically or geochemically extreme conditions that are detrimental to most life on Earth.
- Dolomites cryptoendoliths (colonizes structural cavities within porous rocks, including spaces produced and vacated by euendoliths)
- Fertö/Neusiedlersee Neusiedlersee: halophiles (organisms that thrive in environments with very high concentrations of salt)
- Galapagos Islands Pompeii worm (an extremophile found only at hydrothermal vents in the Pacific Ocean) - wiki Link
- Nanda Devi and Valley of Flowers extremophilic ciliated protozoa at the Valley of Flowers (live in sulphur spring) Link
- Volcanoes of Kamchatka The Uzon caldera is a location of the occurrence of extremophile micro-organisms due to its high localized temperatures (wiki) Link
- Western Ghats extremophilic ciliated protozoa in Silent Valley Link
- Yellowstone acidophiles (thrive under highly acidic conditions (usually at pH 2.0 or below)), cryptoendoliths, hyperthermophiles (thrives in extremely hot environments from 60 degrees C)
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Notable Extremophiles
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source