Tibetan Buddhism is the body of Buddhist religious doctrine and institutions characteristic of Tibet and certain regions of the Himalayas, including northern Nepal, Bhutan, and India. Tibetan Buddhism has four main traditions: Nyingma(pa), Kagyu(pa), Sakya(pa) and Gelug(pa) (wiki)
- Great Burkhan Khaldun Mountain
- Imperial Palace Pavilion of the Rain of Flowers, the imperial Tibetan Buddhism temple inside the inner court in Beijing's Imperial Palace
- Kathmandu Valley Boudhanath stupa, Swayambhunath religious complex (although mainly Newar Buddhist)
- Khangchendzonga National Park
- Mount Emei, including Leshan Giant Buddha "Emei Mountain, which is located within the sight of the Tibetan border, is currently a pilgrimage destination for both Chinese and Tibetan Buddhists. In the past, many Tibetan lamas lived in temples on Mount Emei. A number of them were expert in the Tibetan Lions Roar or Tibetan White Crane gung fu." Link
- Mount Wutai "Tibetan Buddhism spread to Mount Wutai and coexisted harmoniously with Han Buddhism." (AB ev)
- Mountain Resort, Chengde See page 8 of link: "the revival of Tibetan Buddhism in the frontier brought an isolated lama organization, which cannot express the feudal structure in the minzu area, the red cowl of the lamas and the sound of reading classics from the temple were only some sad symbol of the history." Link
- Orkhon Valley Erdene Zuu, Tuvkhun Monastery (traditional Buddhism in Mongolia is a 'Mongolised' version of Tibetan Buddhism)
- Potala Palace Potala Palace ("symbolizes Tibetan Buddhism", Gelukpa sect), Jokhang Temple
- Sagarmatha National Park Tengboche Monastery Link
- Sichuan Giant Panda Sanctuaries Wolong and Siguniang Mountain areas have many Tibetan communities and temples.
- Site of Xanadu Tibetan Buddhist lama temple Qianyuan Temple (1274) (AB ev)
- Three parallel rivers of Yunnan Feilai Temple at Deqin
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Tibetan Buddhism
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source