WHS connected with the Architectural style known as "National Park Service Rustic" "also colloquially known as Parkitecture, is a style of architecture that arose in the United States National Park System to create buildings that harmonized with their natural environment. Since its founding, the National Park Service consistently has sought to provide visitor facilities without visually interrupting the natural or historic scene. The structures are characterized by intensive use of hand labor and rejection of the regularity and symmetry of the industrial world, reflecting its connections with the Arts and Crafts Movement. Architects, landscape architects and engineers combined native wood and stone with convincingly native styles to create visually appealing structures that seemed to fit naturally within the majestic landscapes. Examples of the style can be found in numerous types of National Park structures, including entrance gateways, park roads and bridges, visitor centers, trail shelters, hotels and lodges, and even maintenance and support facilities. Many of these buildings are listed on the National Register of Historic Places" (Wiki)
- Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks Jasper Park Information Centre Link
- Grand Canyon Hopi House http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hopi_House, El Tovar hotel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/El_Tovar_Hotel and Grand Canyon Lodge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Canyon_Lodge among others
- Waterton Glacier International Peace Park Many Glacier hotel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Many_Glacier_Hotel, Lake McDonald Lodge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lake_McDonald_Lodge and others
- Yellowstone Old Faithful innhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_Faithful_Inn and Madison Museum http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Madison_Museum
- Yosemite National Park LeConte Memorial Lodge http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LeConte_Memorial_Lodge and Ahwahnee hotel http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahwahnee_Hotel
Do you know of another WHS we could connect to Parkitecture
A connection should:
- Not be "self evident"
- Link at least 3 different sites
- Not duplicate or merely subdivide the "Category" assignment already identified on this site.
- Add some knowledge or insight (whether significant or trivial!) about WHS for the users of this site
- Be explained, with reference to a source